In on this safe thread
Whats-In-The-Box.png

A. There’s something wrong with the steel

B. There’s something wrong with the heat treat

C. There’s something wrong with the heat treater

D. There’s something wrong with the forum

E. There’s something wrong with the testing equipment

Some or all may apply here, not sure

A. There’s something wrong with the steel - I think this most likely.

B. There’s something wrong with the heat treat - considering there were several other blades HT'd at same time using the same procedure I'd expect the HT to be just fine.

C. There’s something wrong with the heat treater - Again, considering the number of blades that has been HT'd in past I suspect the HT'er "might" be semi-competent to say the least {g}

D. There’s something wrong with the forum - WHAT!!!! Never, this forum is the greatest place on earth {g}

E. There’s something wrong with the testing equipment - considering the number of blades that has been tested in past I suspect the test equip is ok.

Again, we're all waiting until JT has time from his busy work schedule to dip blade in acid etch. This has been a really good thread and I do appreciate the amount of time and effort JT has put into trying to find the issue with the metal. Remember, in a business time is money.

lol youd think bladeforums was signing his paycheck ? Haha, in all seriousness though , it has been interesting and i am also eagerly awaiting more information.

A. There’s something wrong with the steel

B. There’s something wrong with the heat treat

C. There’s something wrong with the heat treater

D. There’s something wrong with the forum

E. There’s something wrong with the testing equipment

Some or all may apply here, not sure

In the meantime, while we wait for the etching results, perhaps D DevinT will explain to the audience what etching the knife is going to reveal.

-What will etching show about the steel?

-When etched, which things in the list above may we zero in on or eliminate as the cause of the banded hardness pattern on the steel?

In the meantime, while we wait for the etching results, perhaps D DevinT will explain to the audience what etching the knife is going to reveal.

-What will etching show about the steel?

-When etched, which things in the list above may we zero in on or eliminate as the cause of the banded hardness pattern on the steel?
Tempered martensite etches darkest. Other phases do not etch as dark. Some phases do not etch very well at all. The higher carbon areas should etch darker than lower carbon areas.
It might show banding or other problems with the matrix.
It might show that someone may have tried to mix beta-ti in with the steel. Okay, maybe not that last one.

Hoss

Tempered martensite etches darkest. Other phases do not etch as dark. Some phases do not etch very well at all. The higher carbon areas should etch darker than lower carbon areas.
It might show that someone may have tried to mix beta-ti in with the steel. Okay, maybe not that last one.

Hoss

Aha! Rendering the steel buck-naked for all to see, revealing its flaws and dirty secrets!

D DevinT

Maybe there is something wrong with the acid :D

Hoss

It would have been funnier if you waited a couple of weeks to respond ;):D

If we want to try for an elemental analysis, we should either do it before etching, or cut the blade in half . ESCA is a surface technique, and etching will change the surface chemistry (or I suppose surface grind after etch?

Let me clear a few things up as there seams to be a thought that etching is only going take me a min and less time then it takes to post this. 99% of my posts are done when I’m away from the shop. Also I have emptied my etching tank and stored it away. So that will have to be pulled out as well as the ferric chloride mixed up. Yes not a ton of time to do this but time is VERY valuable right now to me. I work a full time job from 2pm-10pm. I get up at 8am and work on knives till noon. After that I eat with the wife and get ready to leave for work. I get home around 10:30pm-11:00pm and the wife has the heat treat oven warmed up and I hit the shop till about midnight. Then back inside for dinner and to bed by 1:30am and back up at 8am. The weekends are fully consumed with heat treating and surface grinding as well as cnc programming and plasma cutting. Last week the surface grinder went down when the controller went out. I got that fixed and trying to work through the mountain of blades waiting for surface grinding. At any one time we have 200-300 blades here. So time is very valuable.

I did not bring this up because I want sympathy. I enjoy doing this work and am pushing hard to grow this into something bigger. But on the flip side spending tons of time on a single blade to try and figure out why it is not heat treating properly does nothing but put me further behind.

We have been investing large amounts of money into equipment to help increase production output and still keep the hands on quality our customers have come to expect from us. Some recent additions include more plate quench vises as well as a 3rd tempering oven. We are also excited because we are waiting on a subzero super cooled bath to be delivered. Should be here next week. This should take some load off the dewar as the AEBL will be able to go through the -110°C bath. We have also invested a bunch of time into improving the shipping. We have a bunch of boxes on there way to us and we are going to be offering a flat rate shipping of $12 for any knives up to a max weight of 20lbs.

So like I said it’s not that I don’t want to take time and solve this steel mystery. I really do but I just have to squeeze it in when I can.

Now where was I, oh yeah time to get back to my day job lol. Thanks guys for understanding

Let me clear a few things up as there seams to be a thought that etching is only going take me a min and less time then it takes to post this. 99% of my posts are done when I’m away from the shop. Also I have emptied my etching tank and stored it away. So that will have to be pulled out as well as the ferric chloride mixed up. Yes not a ton of time to do this but time is VERY valuable right now to me. I work a full time job from 2pm-10pm. I get up at 8am and work on knives till noon. After that I eat with the wife and get ready to leave for work. I get home around 10:30pm-11:00pm and the wife has the heat treat oven warmed up and I hit the shop till about midnight. Then back inside for dinner and to bed by 1:30am and back up at 8am. The weekends are fully consumed with heat treating and surface grinding as well as cnc programming and plasma cutting. Last week the surface grinder went down when the controller went out. I got that fixed and trying to work through the mountain of blades waiting for surface grinding. At any one time we have 200-300 blades here. So time is very valuable.

I did not bring this up because I want sympathy. I enjoy doing this work and am pushing hard to grow this into something bigger. But on the flip side spending tons of time on a single blade to try and figure out why it is not heat treating properly does nothing but put me further behind.

We have been investing large amounts of money into equipment to help increase production output and still keep the hands on quality our customers have come to expect from us. Some recent additions include more plate quench vises as well as a 3rd tempering oven. We are also excited because we are waiting on a subzero super cooled bath to be delivered. Should be here next week. This should take some load off the dewar as the AEBL will be able to go through the -110°C bath. We have also invested a bunch of time into improving the shipping. We have a bunch of boxes on there way to us and we are going to be offering a flat rate shipping of $12 for any knives up to a max weight of 20lbs.

So like I said it’s not that I don’t want to take time and solve this steel mystery. I really do but I just have to squeeze it in when I can.

Now where was I, oh yeah time to get back to my day job lol. Thanks guys for understanding
Are you able to send the blade to me or Larrin for testing?

Hoss

I’m just posting these pictures to maybe start a conversation about this issue and how we can solve it.

Your busy, that is understandable. So lets get back to your goal on how it can be solved and maybe take Devin up on this offer of you sending it to him or Larrin to do some testing.

I'd like to add my worthless 2 cents here :D

I sent JT 2 knives made from NJSB 1084 this summer and they hardened just fine. I've actually had success hardening 1084 from the same batch (Dec 18/Jan 19?) in my little 2 brick forge. Couldn't tell you the hardness, but holds an edge just fine.

My vote is on the steel being suspect.

Back