More affordable alternative to smaller Kifarus and Mystery Ranches

Thanks to all of you who contributed to my last post about finding the right pack for me. Now that I have narrowed down what I want quite a bit, I think it's time for a more focused post.

The pack that I like the most is the kifaru x-ray:

https://kifaru.net/xray.html#

Unfortunately, I'm just not prepared to lay down that cash. The mystery ranch nice crewcab (could use some PAL webbing, but I love that it is a variable capability pack) and the 3-day assault pack (a little bigger than I'd like and could use some more PAL webbing) are also great options that are out of my price range.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.40346/.f

Is there a brand that has something more in the $200 range? I want the PAL webbing, a rugged construction, good hydration design, effective weight bearing design (including a belt), and design that will keep out the elements.

Size should probably be in maybe the 1400 to 1900 cu in. range, but different packs carry their volume in different ways, so that is not set in stone. Variable size packs (e.g. detachable compartments) are great, as I'd like to use it to take with me on an afternoon hike with not much inside as well as taking it on a longer hike where I will be carrying a decent amount of gear.

I have been looking at camelbak's offerings and blackhawk also has the cyclone that looks pretty good, so any comments on these are fine. But seems that kifaru and mystery ranch are quite a step up, so wondering if there iare any manufacturers in between.

I have a Kifaru Zulu, a older Camelbak Motherlode, and a Camelbak HAWG. Of course the Kifaru is top notch, but I can highly recommend the Camelbak Military packs, as they're top shelf as well, and frankly more justifiable in price.

I had a Blackhawk 3-day pack and while it seemed to be well made, I just didn't think it was as nice as either one of my Camelbaks.

I have a Kifaru Zulu, a older Camelbak Motherlode, and a Camelbak HAWG. Of course the Kifaru is top notch, but I can highly recommend the Camelbak Military packs, as they're top shelf as well, and frankly more justifiable in price.

I had a Blackhawk 3-day pack and while it seemed to be well made, I just didn't think it was as nice as either one of my Camelbaks.

Good to know. How does the motherlode hold a heavy load? I wonder if its design is really made for that. it looks more like a design for carrying a bunch of gadgets or something. The tri-zip looks more like it is a load bearing design, but it is too big.

Last edited:
i would recommend the camelbak trizip. its got the mystery ranch trizip and their futura harness. great pack and can be had for about 180 or so. a little more room than you wanted but should carry very well.

Good to know. How does the motherlode hold a heavy load? I wonder if its design is really made for that. it looks more like a design for carrying a bunch of gadgets or something. The tri-zip looks more like it is a load bearing design, but it is too big.

I can't speak on the "new" version, as I picked mine up back in 2003 before they added the big outer pocket on upper part of the pack. Mine is a little smaller than the newer version but it will handle 25lbs. A buddy of mine has the newer version and took his on a winter backpacking trip and is one of those guys who really overpacks, with stuff hanging off everywhere. He claimed that it weighed in at 45lbs. He seemed to do ok with it until we were going up or down a hill, and he couldn't make any adjustments to the pack.

You can find deals on the Kifaru stuff every once in awhile, especially the Generation 1 stuff.

The new ATS RAID might fit your specs, I forget the capacity on it. I've got the smaller version called the Cobra, and I love it.

Eberlestock has a few scabbardless packs that are about 100 dollars cheaper... more PALS than you know what to do with.
http://www.eberlestock.com/Halftrack Backpack.htm
3080 cubic inches, PALS everywhere. Awesome company, on par with Kifaru and MR.

Wish they made a smaller pack... it is just bigger than I want. I basically want a smaller pack that is designed like a big one (hey if it works for carrying a lot of weight, it should work for carrying less, right?), but a lot of the makers seem to have a gap in their lineup here.

The new ATS RAID might fit your specs, I forget the capacity on it. I've got the smaller version called the Cobra, and I love it.

The ATS RAID II looks like a pretty ruggedly made pack. Does anyone have any opinion on how it would compare to the camelbak options like the motherlode and tri-zip? is it as well-made? Does it do as good of a good job as a hydration pack?

I feel for you brother, I went through this last year(ish) and settled on a Maxped Monsoon, my wants are for something that looks less tactical and more like a messenger bag while still holding enough goodies to get out of a tough spot, it's worked well.

Good luck with whatever you get, all the companies mentioned in this thread are good quality. Check out Kelty's stuff for a good deal on bags as well.

yeah I am considering it. to be honest, I hate the camo, but I guess that shouldn't stop me if it is the best option ;)
Click on the order button. It's available in solid colors: "Ranger Green" and "Dry Earth", but you have to look around at other items to see what those colors look like, since they apparently don't have a comparison table or similar showing the different ones.

The ATS RAID II looks like a pretty ruggedly made pack. Does anyone have any opinion on how it would compare to the camelbak options like the motherlode and tri-zip? is it as well-made? Does it do as good of a good job as a hydration pack?

I think you'd have to buy your own bladder, and if you bought a camelback one it would perform just like a camelback as a hydration pack. Its very well made.

yeah I am considering it. to be honest, I hate the camo, but I guess that shouldn't stop me if it is the best option ;)

You're right, there's a few holes in Glen's lineup-and that seems to be an issue with multiple companies. And the camo hunting packs do drive me nuts... if he were smart he'd offer them all in at least dry earth. HEY, look at Kelty's military line. Made in USA... Peragrine, Raven and Shrike are all in your size/price range.

Click on the order button. It's available in solid colors: "Ranger Green" and "Dry Earth", but you have to look around at other items to see what those colors look like, since they apparently don't have a comparison table or similar showing the different ones.

I did actually try this but I thougth that they were just different kinds of camo (I believe I went to some vendors and they had alternate colors up, but they were showing as camo patterns). I'll take a second look.

UPDATE: I got a hold of one of the vendors "payson outfitters," and they told me that the ranger green and dry earth are solid colors with no hunting camo on the pack. That definitely makes it a more attractive option to me.

The odd thing is how hard (well, apparently impossible) it is to find a pic of a solid green or tan Elberlestock X2 on the www. There are probably nude pics mother theresa if you look hard enough, but not of this pack in those colors! They should really update the site to get some pics out there, or at least make it clear that there ARE solid colors (it doesn't come up until you click order).

Last edited:
The 08 Kifarus are 50% off and that makes em super affordable........

The Scout looks like the bag I have been looking for!
Unfortuntley, I have spent my money on other bags that just haven't cut it. I just traded some stuff for a new Maxpedition Typhoon, which is the right size but I am not sure how long I will get along with the single strap. I will say that it is FAR more comfortable than I would have imagined - I just worry that a herniated disk in my neck will flare up and leave me without a pack again. I like the looks of the Kifaru Scout and I about fell off my chair when I saw the price. I have paid more for bags that I have not worked out for me.

Back