More affordable alternative to smaller Kifarus and Mystery Ranches

No joke Jeff....Ive wanted a Scout forever. They look awesome.

I recently ordered a Maxpedition Kodiak, I like maxpeds gearslingers.

A lot of great options here. I'm also trying to look into the TAD packs but can't find a damn place that sells them.

Hi, I know you said you had your choices nailed down ,but, are still on the fence........long story short , checkout Tactical Tailor 's line up.

Tell you what, an Eberlestock X2 in dry earth sounds pretty damn attractive. Wasn't even shopping for one and I may pull the trigger anyway.

No joke Jeff....Ive wanted a Scout forever. They look awesome.

I recently ordered a Maxpedition Kodiak, I like maxpeds gearslingers.

This is the third one I have had and each time I just get a bigger bag! That G1 Scout in tan looks like a trapper's pack basket.

Tell you what, an Eberlestock X2 in dry earth sounds pretty damn attractive. Wasn't even shopping for one and I may pull the trigger anyway.

I wasn't shopping either but am glad the thread got started. And,... j williams has stepped up and helped me out again, even though I didn't know I needed help!:thumbup:

the kifaru scout is fantastic. and you can about double its capacity with a couple pockets/pods.

i just ordered some Gen 1 stuff for 50% off: 2 claymore pockets, 2 2qt pouches, and a small pod. should make the capacity somewhere just over 2000 cu in..

Hey Kirk

Im currently deployed to a hot spot in afghanistan, and i carry an eberlestock pack here with me, I already owned 2 kifaru packs but i was so impressed with the eberlestock (halftrack) that i bought another one, the dragonfly which is now my go to bag (back in the states) because of its modularity, When i went fishing during leave i could use it to haul a tackle box my rods and a cooler. But i digress. Eberlestocks are great packs and i rank them just behind mystery ranch and Kifaru in terms of quality.

The way i see it is like this. Kifaru's are the toughest packs on the planet. Mystery ranch are probably the most inovative (kifaru's innovations tend more toward there gear than packs Which are very straightforward) , and maybe a touch more comfortable than a kifaru. But an eberlestock Is just a great pack, plenty tough and straight forward. I really cant recommend eberlestocks enough. I put so much stuff into mine that ihave to kick and step on it to close it up, and then i tug with all my strength to close the zippers while im kneeling on it, and the zippers havent even shown any wear, which is amazing because ive broke the zippers and zipper pulls on many a lesser tactical pack. The material is very abrasion resitant, and it also resists discoloration to an astonishing degree. The pull-out rain cover is a life saver, its big enough to cover the pack even when its stuffed so you can keep your clothes and socks bone dry even in one of these afghani rainstorms (yes we get rainstorms, they look amazing rolling over the plains before the mountains) The harness is very adjustable and quite comfortable allowing you to fit the pack to your back or loosen the straps enough to get it on with full kit and sinch it down, the straps look puny but they are actually quite comfy and the waist belt is wide and stiff, with a big buckle that ive stepped on a ton and still havent broken.

So basically you cant go wrong with an eberlestock, i highly reccomend them, and the tan/brown/olive drab colors are actually quite handsome.

Also if you look hard you can find factory seconds, This is a campo one for 150: http://craven1.apollohosting.com/mi..._Code=E1&Product_Code=F3HB-D&Category_Code=BB

A lot of great options here. I'm also trying to look into the TAD packs but can't find a damn place that sells them.

TAD packs are great. They are not for sale at the moment, but this year's lineup should be hitting one of these Fridays. However, the FAST line is on hold this year, and they are releasing the CORE line of packs. They only posted one picture of a prototype, and then pulled it for fear of knockoffs hitting the market before they could perfect it.

It is not your typical PALS pack. The SDS Tac Bag is the closest thing I have seen to the set up they had on the prototype. I will not describe it any further, per their wishes.

Given the history of TAD packs, the prices will probably be a little lower than Kifaru, but they aren't custom made to fit you.

I would also like to add that there is a reason most smaller packs do not have the suspension of larger packs. Weight. All that padding adds pounds to the pack, and isn't going to make it any more comfortable to carry what weight you can pack in the smaller bag.

Razorsdescent,
Thanks for the feedback on your Eberlestock pack. I'm headed to the AO you're currently in later on this year and the Halftrack and FAC Track are tops on my list of possible packs. What color did you get yours in (I'm looking for something that won't draw the ire of the CSM) and what, if any, modular pouches are you running on yours? Thanks.

the kifaru scout is fantastic. and you can about double its capacity with a couple pockets/pods.

i just ordered some Gen 1 stuff for 50% off: 2 claymore pockets, 2 2qt pouches, and a small pod. should make the capacity somewhere just over 2000 cu in..

I just ordered the G1 Scout this morning after having sold some gear last night. I got just enough for the Scout, nowhere near enough for the periferals, so I will have to live with a forest green pouch that I have and a couple Condor water bottle holders. That should be more than enough for me and what I plan to use it for. I am hoping it will be "too much" space. The Max' Typhoon was just enough, but it is restrictive in how you can pack/arrange - the versatility of the pockets and such being a bit of a double-edged sword for me.

This thread made me go look at Kifaru and now I have ordered a G1 Tailgunner 1 can't beat the half off sale. My first Kifaru bag. My wife is going to kill me.

......My wife is going to kill me.

Your wife is going to kill you for buying a new bag.....

That sounds unnatural - backwards even.:p

Don't feel bad, man. I ditched the old job for a teaching job and I literally HAD to sell something to get the Scout. I marked two items down and offered a further discount if someone bought both. Just like you and me looking for half off a Kifaru, someone was looking for such a deal on the stuff that I sold - and so it sold just last night.

Just hurry up and sell something else before the Tailgunner arrives.:D

It looks like it will ne worth it. I had never given the Kifaru stuff a second glance until j williams posted that link. This looks closer to what I need than anything I have seen or tried to date.

Dang it now you have me looking at the scout as well, such a good price. I may be sleeping out on the deck for a while...

Check out Source. I was on track to pick up one when the US supplier fell thru. They are Israeli made, and offered some full featured smaller packs in the 1200 ci range.

Check out Source. I was on track to pick up one when the US supplier fell thru. They are Israeli made, and offered some full featured smaller packs in the 1200 ci range.

"Source?" I did a search and came up with everything but packs.
Have another key word for a search I could try?

Thanks.

I second the motion for the ATS II RAID pack. It was previously the lightfighter raid pack. It is awesome. Its a simple design but it is so well thought out its scary. Whats great about it is that you can use the molle webbing to customize it to your style. Being in the military and having seen it been used in Afghanistan and other places I highly recommend it. If you do a search you will find all kinds of reviews and links for it. Its around $170. Try skdtac great store.

TAD packs are great. They are not for sale at the moment, but this year's lineup should be hitting one of these Fridays. However, the FAST line is on hold this year, and they are releasing the CORE line of packs. They only posted one picture of a prototype, and then pulled it for fear of knockoffs hitting the market before they could perfect it.

It is not your typical PALS pack. The SDS Tac Bag is the closest thing I have seen to the set up they had on the prototype. I will not describe it any further, per their wishes.

Given the history of TAD packs, the prices will probably be a little lower than Kifaru, but they aren't custom made to fit you.

I would also like to add that there is a reason most smaller packs do not have the suspension of larger packs. Weight. All that padding adds pounds to the pack, and isn't going to make it any more comfortable to carry what weight you can pack in the smaller bag.

makes sense. I wouldn't, of course, expect all of the same load bearing design of a larger pack, but I would think some of it would translate well to a smaller pack.

Sounds like the TADs are probably out of my price range as well. Do you have any idea how big the new TAD offering will be or what the price will be?

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on an eberlestock X2 (trying to decide between ranger green and dry earth). The ATS RAID looks like a really tough pack (simplicity and extremely well constructed), but the belt looks small and not really designed to carry weight. And I like the camelbak tri-zip, but I think it is just bigger than what I want.

I'd still like to hear about the upcoming TAD pack though.

Dang it now you have me looking at the scout as well, such a good price. I may be sleeping out on the deck for a while...

Well, if you're going to be in trouble, maybe you better just go ahead and add a bivy bag. It will make those nights on the deck more bearable.:D

Back