More Tim Wegner Pro Hunter love?

I just posted pics of my Pro Hunter collection of various makes (Spyderco, Blade-Tech, custom Phil Boguszewski) in another thread where the OP wanted to know more about his possible custom Boguszewski made Pro hunter.
After confirming his is a full custom and not a midtech, I realized its in the manufactures/Spyderco subforum.
Since I'm such a huge fan of this specific design that Wegner put out, ever since getting my first one made by Spyderco in the 90's, I've been accumulating a sub-collection of nice PH variantions.
I decided to include a post with pics in the general knife section as well, so more than just Spydie fans can see it. And the Blade-Tech sub forum seems to be dead for some time now.

So here's two updated pics for fellow lovers/collectors of Wegner's PH.
Feel free to add your thoughts/pics/collections.

Phil%20Boguszewski%20Wegner%20Pro%20Hunter_zpsl9l43cn5.jpg

Wegner%20Pro%20Hunter%20Collection_zpsigdy8b12.jpg

- you have a very nice collection there Nostimos Nostimos :thumbsup:

Was very lucky many years ago, snagged a plain edge Spyderco Ocelot - such a fabulous design/shape and the added feature of the paw prints appeals to my animal
1f644.png

Had always really fancied the Bladetech Hunter Pro - there were about 3 or 4 on knifecenter.com website - they were there for about 3 years and never sold..........sods law, by the time I decided to pull the trigger, they were gone...

However, snagged a Hunter Lite on here a couple years ago and after pulling them both out for a play recently thought I'd put a few pics up.

The backlock is very good on both, the Bladetech somewhat beefier, a real 'thunk' when it opens.

Have to say, would rather use a Sebbie to skin/gut if I had to use a folder as they're much easier to clean/blast out afterwards........nevertheless, these two are real satisfying members of the collection

What ever happened to Bladetech? I see they still have a sub forum here with no activity for years. They used to make some really fine knives, like the pro hunters in this thread.

I have a BladeTech Pro Hunter somewhere at home. I bought it along with other knives just to justify the shipping in one of my purchases from the US long ago. I believe mine is a budget version because I don't recall it being expensive at all. It seems to be small.

I don't really use mine much at all because it sooooo thick behind the edge (edge too obtuse as well) that I rather put in my pocket a much slicier knife.

Mikel

Here is mine. I really love this knife, had it reground by @Ndocyk who did a beautiful job and it is a phenomenal cutter.8F4484D2-E4A5-4B40-A31A-28A398AE8271.jpeg

Reactions: 315
Wegner stopped using Spydeco when he got his own company. His version of the Mouse, made in Taiwan, is just as good as the Spyderco Japan made version and a lot cheaper :)

Since this thread is still active, I'll update it to answer the above question by RAGS on availability.
Yes, their subforum seems to be dead/not monitored.

I believe Tim Wegner passed away years ago.
Not sure if the family still controls the company or if it was sold.

The full size Pro Hunter liner lock is still made, but in Taiwan with 154CM,
similar to the slightly less expensive "Classic" line he had when he ran the company.
The thicker Magnum version and black coated Extreme version are not offered anymore.

The Cheaper budget Taiwan made full size LOCK BACK in 440c steel, like the orange one pictured in the above post,
is no longer available.

The small Mouse lock back is still available, but only China made in AUS6 blade and FRN/plastic handle

NO S30V offered at all anymore. And the G10 handle is only on the Pro Hunter.

Not sure if the medium slimmer "PH Junior" liner lock is made anymore.
It was also AUS6 and FRN and not a big deal in quality/performance (liner lock strength) or price point.
I dont see it show up anywhere brand new.

The fixed blade N'Yati is offered again and US made, BUT in D2 steel only.

I'm going by what I see showing up for sale online by Blade Tech distributors.

Hey Nostimos

I'm not dead (yet) LOL! Not sure where you got that impression...I retired Jan 2019 my son Bryce (CEO) now running the company the we moved to Ohio. I still live in WA state.
Be happy to answer any questions...

Cheers!

Tim

Tim, glad to see you’re still around. It’s been a few years since we have run into each other. You’d recognize me if you saw me. You dragged a couple co-workers to Zimbabwe several years ago. They have both been retired now for several years.

Here’s a couple that have seen a lot of use skinning.

78-D7-FEA0-2-FA1-4-FD1-96-BD-C4796-F3-E283-E.jpg

Knifecenter still has two Wegner designed hunters with folding gut hook by Timberline in D2.
Rich

Timothy B Wegner Timothy B Wegner or anyone else who can provide some background.

I find the Boguszewski Pro Hunter to be a very interesting knife. Unfortunately there seems to be precious little information available about it on the interwebs. Can anyone tell me:
  • When these were produced?
  • What the association was with Pro-Tech was, as some are marked that way on the blade and some aren't?
  • How many varieties were made (I've seen a titanium version, a micarta version, a light weight version, and a fixed blade version as well as straight and combo blades)
  • They all seem to be numbered. Was each version done to a standard run size?
  • Was BG-42 the blade steel used for all of these?
As a collector I find the history on this stuff interesting and useful, but many times hard to find. Any insights are appreciated.

Hey Nostimos

I'm not dead (yet) LOL! Not sure where you got that impression...I retired Jan 2019 my son Bryce (CEO) now running the company the we moved to Ohio. I still live in WA state.
Be happy to answer any questions...

Cheers!

Tim

HOLY SHIT! :eek: Almost a year later and I never noticed this. :confused:
Sorry for the misinformation. :(:oops:
I read it on a thread somewhere when discussing the change in what Blade-Tech was offering
since we weren't seeing US made Pro Hunters in S30V steel anymore. :rolleyes:

Glad to know you're still alive and chiming in here once in a while. ;) :thumbsup:

Back