• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Mosaic damascus & ivory bowie by Ed Caffrey, MS

Ed Caffrey is a maker whose knives I have long admired. One of the primary attractions to his work is the fact that he has accomplished something that eludes many: his knives have a very distinctive style. Many a time have I seen knives ranging from elaborately decorated folders, to presentation grade bowies, to simple, functional hunters and said to myself “that’s a Caffrey” without needing to refer to the maker’s mark. I recently had the opportunity to add one of his terrific bowies to my collection. Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

orig.jpg

This knife features a mosaic damascus blade that is just a shade under 9 inches, with an overall length just under 14 inches. The handle is a beautiful piece of fossil walrus ivory, showing a range of colours from cream, to caramel to chocolate brown – almost good enough to eat!

orig.jpg

The elegant S-guard features heat-blued and textured mild steel, with the half-pennies forged-in. The file-worked butt cap matches the colour and texture of the guard. If you look closely at the first picture, you will see that the frog button on the first-rate scabbard is also heat-blued and textured to match the fittings of the knife itself. So often it is the little thoughtful touches like this that set a knife apart.

orig.jpg

The blade itself deserves a closer look. It is forged from a blend 1084 and 15N20 steels, combining between 9 and 12 bars to produce a fascinating checkerboard mosaic. Each “window” shows one of a variety of swirls, whorls, rolls, starbursts and stripes in a repeating pattern. Here is a closer look:

orig.jpg

Ed describes this knife as a fighter / bowie and it certainly resides comfortably in either camp. The knife has a quick and responsive feel in the hand that befits the fighter designation, but also conveys a sense a strength and solidity (and sufficient blade width) that puts it right at home with my bowies as well. The knife features a true through-tang construction, with the end of the tang threaded through a small nut on the end of the butt cap.

I’ll wrap up by saying that I could not be more pleased with this knife and scabbard. Everything about it – from the flowing design to the complex mosaic blade, to the first rate materials and flawless fit and finish make this piece a real joy to have and hold. Here’s one more pic – this one by the maker:

orig.jpg

Cheers,

Roger

That is a great knife, and I rarely like mosaic patterns.
I have a Caffrey ebk, it is one of my favorite knives!

Nice score Roger, great pics as usual - thats one classy collection you have going there.

Cheers,

Stephen

Roger, that bowie is super gorgeous. I have no idea what you had to pay for it, but I think it was worth it. I can almost guarantee that Ed had to pay about $400 for that chunk of awesome ivory. I have a much smaller piece of ivory, with almost the same kind of colors. My piece is only big enough for maybe a 6" bladed bowie, and it cost me almost $200. I think you got your money's worth.

Thanks very much for the comments guys! Danbo - the ivory was what attracted me first to this knife.

Cheers,

Roger

Back