Most comfortable handle?

In your opinion which fixed blade knife has the most comfortable/ergonomic handle?

Which has the worst? and why?

In the era of internet buying its hard to get a grasp on what a handle feels like without relying on others opinions. I'm in the market for a 6"-7" blade.

The barrel shaped handle of the Mora classics no doubt.

I did a test on this, included other moras, bark rivers, etc. The test was finding out which handle was most comfortable under very high force carving.

I was shure the cola formed handle of my BRKT Bushcrafter was going to be the winner, but the wooden Mora beat it.

EOXgLI4.jpg

Of knives that I have handled in that size, the Carothers (CPK) HDFK Heavy Duty Field Knife has the best ergonomics I have ever felt:thumbsup:

~Chip

I quite like the handle on my Hogue EXF-01, but I will readily admit I don't have nearly as much fixed blade experience as I do with folding knives.

For carving, I'd bet the Mora classic (above)would be hard to beat.

As far as most uncomfortable handles go, I would avoid anything with finger grooves, unless the handles are rubber perhaps.

Most comfortable handle for me is probably Benchmade cskII for fixed blade 6-7" off top head, of stuff still have. Otherwise Busse mofo, batac. Busse has lots of different handle designs that really form fit hands. Mine anyways.

Lots of variables to this question.

CBCA74E3-A7F9-44C0-BDB5-4DE0EA3D6364.jpeg Even though this is a picture of a folding knife, Jerry Hossom’s fixed blades have the same handle design. These handles are highly contoured and are especially suited to users with big “mitts”. Notice the palm swell. The Buck 110 is for size reference.

Hard to say I don't use fix blades often. But from my other knives I would say it's individual to the user. Best way to go about it is to find a knife shop and hold a lot of knives chances are you find one that just clicks and feels right that wasn't on your radar.

On a FB, Cold Steel's kraton handle -- hot, cold, wet, dry, covered with grease and blood, it still grips.

A fairly straight handle with a good Japanese style wrap is my overall favorite.

It's grippy, versatile and durable.

The clasdic no 2
has handle dimensions in the right length and diameter for my hands.
And would have to agree that its comfortable.

Yeah I think it is kind of a universal handle that fits a lot of hands.

For those who haven't tried, check the Mora Classics against your other knives when it comes to hard force carving, for extended cutting it is probably better..

Just wanna add that the handles do
differ in accordance with the blade length
So why the smallest 2.0?
Well, it helps with the inherent guardless safety issues better when its short handle,
is better able to a position itself well inside of the palm.
It rest in a much more secured grip
as the back end of the handle anchors comfortably into the fleshy areas
whenevet there is a requirement to
assert pressure In some cutting motions.

It does depend on what you're gonna use it for.
There's a difference between a comfortable handle, a handle that is very secure in the hand, a handle that can be used for a long time without hurting your hand and a handle that moves very well in the hand and gives you a very acute feel for where the edge is. It's obviously gonna be a compromise, but for a knife used for days of stressless wood carving in either a clump fisted hammer grip or both thumbs on the spine detail work, I'd also vote for the Mora sausage handles.

I've owned fewer knives than most here, I'd imagine, but over the years I've had handles of wood, paracord, plastic, rubber, leather, G10, and micarta. I can say without a doubt that the stacked leather handle of my new Fallkniven NL5 Idun is the most comfortable handle on any knife I've ever felt. Of course it doesn't meet the OP's 6-7" blade length, but their NL3 and NL2 certainly would. For me, the polished stacked leather handle is warmer to the touch than any other material, and somehow manages to be both smoother and provide a more secure grip at the same time, than materials like wood and micarta. I have many knives I love, with several handle materials, but none of them have I just thought, "wow! that's comfortable", like I did with the NL5.

For me, anything round is comfiest. The original Mora, mentioned several times above, rocks. Honorable mention for Opinel, too.

I've been pretty happy with the handles on my Esees. Bear in mind that I ma not a hard user, but they are pretty darn comfortable. Bear in mind that they are carbon steel, and may rust. The blades are coated, but some people like to remove that coating, even though it makes it more prone to rusting.

Back