Most Over-Rated and Under-Rated Brands of Production Knives

This is something I am sure everyone has an opinion on. Not so much of a value question - but who do you think are the most over-appreciated and under-appreciated production knife manufacturers?

I feel like I handle so many knives - I don't often feel wowed anymore.

I would place my vote on the following

Under-appreciated - Hogue knives.

I never would have thought at all about a grips manufacturer making a knife. What a great collaboration with Elishewitz. Not cheap - priced like an Emerson or Benchmade. But Overall - a great finish. US Made. 154CM tumble finish blade. I like the G-10 handle better than the aluminum one. My favorite knife this year is the EX-01 with 3.5" drop point blade and black G-10 handle. But I don't want to .make this about a particular knife - but a brand. Quality is great. Feels like a custom. Nothing real unique. Just a perfect build. I appreciate it like I would appreciate a fine Swiss manual wind watch.

Over-Rated - Cold Steel

I don't dislike them. And I don't think that they are a bad knife. I just think that Cold Steel created through marketing a reputation of Herculean strength unmatched by any other brand. When I was younger (much younger) I wanted one in the worst way. Hell, they showed them puncturing a car door. I needed that knife. And many years later - I wonder how I got sucked into the marketing. But again - I don't hate them - I just think their marketing creates a demand and a following I don't get. In my opinion -the Best Cold Steel knives were manufactured by Camillus (Carbon V). Overall - there is nothing in the line that excites me. I can't think of a price point in which I think Cold Steel makes a great knife compared to other companies. Yet their following rivals Case XX and Spyderco.

Last edited:
Hey PK welcome to the forums, I was reading your earlier posts and you seem like a standup guy. As to the topic of this thread I think you'll find that bladeforums is a community made up of diverse individuals, each of us has their own ideas and opinions. Threads like this just cause animosity amongst the community and are not productive in anyway no matter how good the Intention. Your free to post as you like but the age old of adage of quality vs quantity is universal. All that aside I think you're right on the money with hogue knives, I myself was initially skeptical but seeing the amount of praise they are receiving I might have to add one to the collection.

Don't judge a product by it's marketing. Cold Steel's marketing is a joke.

I like Cold Steel, partly because I only carry lockbacks and slip-joints. The Tri-Ad lock is hard to beat, and aus8 is perfectly acceptable in a $55 knife.
Fit and finish rivals my Spydercos that cost 2x more.
The liner-less G10 handles are very solid.

Seems like Hogue doesn't get the publicity it deserves.

The most over-rated... I dunno.

I'm kind of a non conflict guy. I don't take posts personal. I wont go on a rant if someone says they hate the knife I have in my pocket. I just appreciate reading others opinions. I would love for someone to tell me why I'm wrong about Cold Steel - and their opinion of some great knife made by Cold Steel. They make over 300 edged items. Maybe I'm not appreciating some of their line-up.
Like Nutty Knife Nut with SOG. I disagree. They did had a crappy year with no products. OK - they had the Blade Light...
But they have the Vision, Seal Pup, and Pentagon Fixed Blade. All solid great quality knives.
thaeffman - I hope you get a chance to pick up a Hogue knife. I don't know anyone who has gotten one that didn't like it.

Hey PK welcome to the forums, I was reading your earlier posts and you seem like a standup guy. As to the topic of this thread I think you'll find that bladeforums is a community made up of diverse individuals, each of us has their own ideas and opinions. Threads like this just cause animosity amongst the community and are not productive in anyway no matter how good the Intention. Your free to post as you like but the age old of adage of quality vs quantity is universal. All that aside I think you're right on the money with hogue knives, I myself was initially skeptical but seeing the amount of praise they are receiving I might have to add one to the collection.

Ah, I missed your post.
I agree with you.

A thread dedicated to the positive aspects of our passion is gonna do much better than a thread focused on the negative.

I could say "Cold Steel is under-rated", and all is cool, then I say "Hinderer is over-rated" and... BOOOM, haha.

That's weird - I was on a gun news group and posted that I thought the 1911 was antiquated and over-rated in comparison to modern design firearms. Everyone was cool with that. haha

I feel like Laguiole is really overrated among a certain type of knife person...

I get the feeling this thread will cause a great deal of butthurt, but here's my contribution anyway.

Overrated knives - Emerson. For a couple hundred dollars, you get a G10-handled liner lock with shoddy fit and finish, a gaudy design, and mediocre materials for that price. You can get knives which are better made with better materials and mechanisms at literally half the price of most emersons.

Underrated knives - I definitely agree with you on the Hogue bit. I've honestly never owned a knife that was so well made as my EX-01.

Over rated? SOG, although most in the know are already weary of their folders. Ever time I see Gunny I think of that scene from Full Metal Jacket..."DO YOU SUCK D**** SOLDIER?!?! BULLSH*T, I BET YOU COULD SUCK A GOLF BALL THOUGH A GARDEN HOSE!!!" Cheesy, all bark no bite...that's SOG in my mind. Their fixed blades are passable, folders are garbage except those which are ridiculously highly priced for what they are.

Underrated? As crazy as this may sound given their history and status as an American icon, I think many Bucks knives are underrated. The vantage series is a spectacular value, especially the pro series with Paul Bos heat treated s30v.

Underrated: LionSteel Knives.

Overrated: I know I am going to regret saying this because I am bound to catch (something) for it, but as was previously stated in this thread by another forum member, I think Emerson production knives fit into this category.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overrated: I know I am going to regret saying this because I am bound to catch shit for it, but as was previously stated in this thread by another forum mumber, I think Emerson production knives are overrated and over priced.

Agreed, I've never understood the Emerson thing. They aren't particularly good looking, they use quite mundane materials (g10 and 154cm aren't exactly premium materials anymore...), and by most account, the fit and finish leaves quite a bit to be desired. Reliable, durable knives that will last a life time? Yeah, probably. Worth $200+? I don't think so...

Underrated: scrap yard knives. The scrap yard puts out some really unique blades for dirt cheap. I'm a huge fan of their smaller knives and when they've done with ELMAX has really put them at the top of the heap performance wise. I feel like many people think of scrap yard knives as blade for chopping through bricks and nothing else. Also their sword, the scrapizashi is a freak of nature.

Overrated: ESEE. Awesome knives, awesome people, best warranty in the business. This is not a knock on ESEE. I've owned and used more of their knives than I can count but alot of people see Rowen's 1095 as some kind of magic steel when it's very average in the grand scheme of performance. It's gets the job done and is tough but it's not world beater people make it out to be. But ESEE designs their knives for survival purposes and 1095 is a great choice for that role.

Overrated: SOG - their folders are for JR High kids that have their mom buy their knives.
To be honest I think some of their folders look alright but they are overpriced.

Underrated: Ontario Knife Company - I'll take an Ontario knife instead of SOG any day of the week....Ontario makes a few other knives besides the Rat 1 that are quality knives that nobody talks about and they are not overpriced.

Last edited:
I agree with the Ontario knives. I always thought of them as a Ka-Bar knock-off. I never even considered them until this year. RAT fixed blade knives are great knives. Exactly what Cold Steel SHOULD be making. But China can't do it for them. I had a total change of heart about Ontario.

I'll be the first to predict that there will be a great 2013 roll-out from SOG. I'm not giving up on the brand yet.

Emerson - I'm just bored with the brand. And I think they could be more consistent with their titanium liner locks. The variation is way to much in the lock-up. Take 10 of them and at least 1 will be not engaged enough for my comfort and at least 2 are locked too deep. That said - I think they put the time and money into their knives - I'm just bored with their knives and don't think the lock-up is consistent from knife to knife.

A brand that isn't my taste - but I really appreciate is Canal Street Cutlery. Better than a Case XX.

Underrated: Opinels and box cutters :p They work better as knives than most of the knives on the market.

Overrated: Busse, in the same way that the OP thinks Cold Steels are overrated. I don't have anything against the knives, but the following they have is just ridiculous.

Underrated: Böker. Their quality is just supreme and they do have some very nice custom designs in their lineup.

Overrated: I' d say ESEE. The build quality on mine(it' s an older RAT RC-4) is very good but I just can' t warm up to that design they have on most of their knives and the 1095 steel.

Back