Most painful tomahawk injury

I don't know if you were asking me or not, but from hitting myself in the head no, no cuts. Just blunt impact.

Got drunk one day and decided to cut a tree down. Somehow I "caught" the bit with my left hand and sliced open all 4 fingers. I kept chopping.

I no longer drink, by the way. Made way too many stupid decisions while intoxicated!

When I first got a Cold Steel Vietnam hawk many many years ago, I swung it around in Filipino martial arts style "fan" around my head and the spike made a small divot in my scalp. A spiked hawk is not a like a stick lol

Nothing serious, just a good reminder. Thankfully, nothing more serious with axes / hawks!!

It was my tomahawk but my friends hand that got cut. We were at his family farm throwing my knives and tomahawk and I out of habit flip the item before I throw it to help myself get a "feel" for the balance. Well my buddy started doing the same thing and after a while got a little too comfortable. He flipped it once then a double flip then the second try on the double flipand the edge raked across the inside of his fingers cutting them all pretty well and a it was a ragged cut too because of the edge rolling from the impacts of the many poor throws.

Back in 2007 I tried conceal carrying a tomahawk. Bought the LaGana Tactical from the now-out-of-business American Tomahawk Company—that tomahawk weighed 16 ounces, was slippery in the hand, and the carry system was horrid—huge and heavy. I’ve been told they designed the carry system to withstand parachute jumps—that’s nice to know, but it was way too bulky and slow to function for everyday concealed carry. So I got a custom sheath from Survival Sheath Systems, which cost around $130 (more than the tomahawk itself). This was an underarm shoulder carry system, so if my shirt was untucked I could reach under, grab the slippery handle, and yank hard and the tomahawk could be drawn fairly quickly. It was very uncomfortable to wear—no fault to Survival Sheath Systems—the tomahawk head was around 8” long and the rigid kydex that surrounded it would jam into the body—this axe was never made for the application. Also, the tomahawk was so heavy that the shoulder carry system would hang off one side and dig into the other. Anyways, I was stubborn about the concept of a concealed carry tomahawk and carried it for six months. Despite all the short comings of the tomahawk and carry system, it felt awesome to execute a quick draw from concealment, so I practiced the quick draw all the time. But one time it felt a little funny. The draw was slower than usual. I looked down and on my shirt I could see a blood stain rapidly expanding from my love handle region. The beard of the tomahawk blade had caught on my love handle during the quick draw. That was the extent of the injury. Just a blade cutting through skin and fat. Thankfully the back hair covers the scar.

This taught me that carrying a tomahawk underarm was a bad idea. Especially if it had a very bearded chopping blade. I later learned that very bearded blades, although sexy in appearance, are pretty terrible in combatives—the bearded portion gets hung up on flesh and fabric. I also learned that historic, battle proven spike tomahawks were much lighter than the LaGana Tactical—closer to 8 ounces (often less!). And I learned that many of these spike tomahawks featured curved spikes—some so curved that they couldn’t possibly injure in percussive impact. Such curved spikes were still great in close quarters combat—acting as a meathook on a stick to tear down opponents, yet posed significantly less risk to the user vs. sharp, straight spike designs. So since the market hadn’t figured out tomahawks for concealed carry, I went about designing my own back in 2016. That eventually became the Backripper Tomahawk, and we’ve also designed another, the Empress Tomahawk. Both are very lightweight (6-9 ounces) and feature very curved spike blades. I carried prototypes of these, sheathless, inside-the-waistband over a couple of years—driving in the car, hiking on trails, etc. and never had worse than a nick on the surface of the skin. Inside the waistband carry, sheathless, is much safer than under the arm carry in the sheath. Still, I recommend a carry system for inside the waistband carry—that’s the lowest risk option.

So: Curved spikes are safer than straight spikes. Lighter tomahawks are easier to control even at great speed. And avoid underarm carry with bearded tomahawk blades (better to avoid bearded blades entirely). Y’all be safe and BE EDGY.

Back in 2007 I tried conceal carrying a tomahawk. Bought the LaGana Tactical from the now-out-of-business American Tomahawk Company—that tomahawk weighed 16 ounces, was slippery in the hand, and the carry system was horrid—huge and heavy. I’ve been told they designed the carry system to withstand parachute jumps—that’s nice to know, but it was way too bulky and slow to function for everyday concealed carry. So I got a custom sheath from Survival Sheath Systems, which cost around $130 (more than the tomahawk itself). This was an underarm shoulder carry system, so if my shirt was untucked I could reach under, grab the slippery handle, and yank hard and the tomahawk could be drawn fairly quickly. It was very uncomfortable to wear—no fault to Survival Sheath Systems—the tomahawk head was around 8” long and the rigid kydex that surrounded it would jam into the body—this axe was never made for the application. Also, the tomahawk was so heavy that the shoulder carry system would hang off one side and dig into the other. Anyways, I was stubborn about the concept of a concealed carry tomahawk and carried it for six months. Despite all the short comings of the tomahawk and carry system, it felt awesome to execute a quick draw from concealment, so I practiced the quick draw all the time. But one time it felt a little funny. The draw was slower than usual. I looked down and on my shirt I could see a blood stain rapidly expanding from my love handle region. The beard of the tomahawk blade had caught on my love handle during the quick draw. That was the extent of the injury. Just a blade cutting through skin and fat. Thankfully the back hair covers the scar.

This taught me that carrying a tomahawk underarm was a bad idea. Especially if it had a very bearded chopping blade. I later learned that very bearded blades, although sexy in appearance, are pretty terrible in combatives—the bearded portion gets hung up on flesh and fabric. I also learned that historic, battle proven spike tomahawks were much lighter than the LaGana Tactical—closer to 8 ounces (often less!). And I learned that many of these spike tomahawks featured curved spikes—some so curved that they couldn’t possibly injure in percussive impact. Such curved spikes were still great in close quarters combat—acting as a meathook on a stick to tear down opponents, yet posed significantly less risk to the user vs. sharp, straight spike designs. So since the market hadn’t figured out tomahawks for concealed carry, I went about designing my own back in 2016. That eventually became the Backripper Tomahawk, and we’ve also designed another, the Empress Tomahawk. Both are very lightweight (6-9 ounces) and feature very curved spike blades. I carried prototypes of these, sheathless, inside-the-waistband over a couple of years—driving in the car, hiking on trails, etc. and never had worse than a nick on the surface of the skin. Inside the waistband carry, sheathless, is much safer than under the arm carry in the sheath. Still, I recommend a carry system for inside the waistband carry—that’s the lowest risk option.

So: Curved spikes are safer than straight spikes. Lighter tomahawks are easier to control even at great speed. And avoid underarm carry with bearded tomahawk blades (better to avoid bearded blades entirely). Y’all be safe and BE EDGY.
Did you need stitches or medical assistance for your wound? or did it heal on it's own?

Did you need stitches or medical assistance for your wound? or did it heal on it's own?
Nah. Some capillaries cut, clotted with pressure. Butterfly closure strips and neosporin did fine. It was a 3" long, shallow wound. Faint scar now (under dark back hair, can hardly see it). Bloodstain formed very fast on the fabric and made it look worse than it was.

Weird thing, the tomahawk's beard raked thru the skin and some fat but didn't cut the thin t-shirt over the skin. The VTAC LaGana came with a sharpened beard too. The t-shirt was tucked in, there was no exposed skin that the blade talked across. Never had a cut that didn't cut the fabric yet cut the skin underneath.

I got a new Fiskars X25 from Amazon a number of years and ago went right out to try it. When splitting a twisted grain round on a chopping block -- I discovered the grain had some runout. The axe went down and out the side following the grain--breaking free from the round came back into my leg beside the shin bone. Took a small chip off the shin bone and the corner of the axe went in pretty deep. Because it was the corner only it wasn't a long gash and only needed a few stitches. Fortunately my reflexes were good and I was moving my leg back as the axe broke free or it would have gone in much deeper. That is the closest I came to a serious injury.

I got a new Fiskars X25 from Amazon a number of years and ago went right out to try it. When splitting a twisted grain round on a chopping block -- I discovered the grain had some runout. The axe went down and out the side following the grain--breaking free from the round came back into my leg beside the shin bone. Took a small chip off the shin bone and the corner of the axe went in pretty deep. Because it was the corner only it wasn't a long gash and only needed a few stitches. Fortunately my reflexes were good and I was moving my leg back as the axe broke free or it would have gone in much deeper. That is the closest I came to a serious injury.
OUCH!! you're lucky you didn't cut your leg partially off. My axes/machetes are so sharp that if I did that, my leg would be gone! Hope you are ok!!

The axe was very sharp. What saved me from a far worse injury was the axe was near the end of the swing and my leg was already moving backwards away by reflex or it would have been far worse.
Lessons learned:
1. don't use full power swings where you can't control a break out--80% power swings save energy and maintain more control when something like this occurs
2. set the wood to be split towards the far side of the splitting block so the block can potentially catch a break out

My worst injury I've had wasn't a laceration but a 3rd-degree burn that received when shaping a blade, and it came loose landing on my arm.

Back in the late 90's, early 2000's I was at home and cleaning / polishing a tomahawk I had purchased from the late "Ragnar" of Ragnar's Ragweed Forge. It was screaming sharp.

My wife walked in the door and I raised my eyes and said "hi" but failed to stop my hands in time.

The next thing out of my mouth was "I'll see you when I get back from the doctor".

15 stitches from my right thumbnail down to the joint. At least our local physician sutured me up, rather than me having to go and wait in an emergency room.

The offender in the case:

DadleyHawk3_001.jpg

Hatchet injury very similar to contestant on Alone at about 1:10, right along base of my left thumb. Healed mine up w/out stitches luckily but it was pretty ugly, could see tendon. This was the only injury I've ever given myself with hatchet, axe, machete.
Was watching this episode when it aired and called it to my wife right before she cut herself. With a sharp bit, a light tap is all it takes.

Hi HH,

I am HUGH Fan of "ALONE" (I've seen EVERY episode going back to Alan Kay/Best Season ever).
At any rate (per the Video you posted) the moment this Contestant started handling that "Hatchet",
I was like "OMG!" I could see this injury coming a mile away!

HARDBALL

Not a tomahawk, but the worst axe related injury i have sustained was a bruise from when i accidentally hit myself in the shin with an old hatchet when i was a kid(this was before i learned how to sharpen), later that day I developed a nastier bruise a bit higher on my shin when i tripped over a hitch.

I like a light-weight spiked hawk, Ive had one for like 40 years or more.. the spike functions as a knife when needed and when the head is driven into a stump or log it makes a good blade to draw things thru. It also will cut camp wood, tho smaller and lighter than other hawks and hatchets... I promptly cut my thumb on the spike when I got the hawk home, testing to see if it was sharp. Almost like a razor, it was.. MY worst injury was ruining a pair of Redwings when I missed and hit my foot with a double-bit "Michigan" axe. The vibram sole of the toe stopped the bit from tearing up my foot. My stepson was using his hawk to split kindling for our stove and cut off part of his left thumb. Fortunately a local doctor had a lot of experience with similar injuries, and saved his thumb so he can still use it, altho part of it will be without feeling the rest of his life.

Back