Most satisfying "CLACK!"?

jlauffer

Tempt not the Blade
Platinum Member
Which Tri-Ad opens with the most satisfying snap, clack, whatever you call it? My sample pool is pretty small...Grik, Air Lite, Code 4, and Golden Eye Elite (also have an AD10 and Ultimate Hunter stored away).

What I noticed, which surprised me and led me to post this, was that the Air Lite had the "best" clack of the bunch, followed by the Grik. The Code 4 is the "worst", sounding pretty wimpy compared to the others.

I'm thinking a lot has to do with the handle materials. And it can also vary based on how tightly you hold the knife, and whether you slow roll it or flick it.

Also really like the sound of the AD15.

What's your favorite?

XL Espada Aluminum, you have to work at it though. The 6" TiLite Aluminum has a nice one too, I kinda like the thunk of the larger blades. Just picked up a SR1 Lite that thunks pretty good, have to get some others out to test.

Definitely my 4-Max Scout. Solid knife just like the AD 10. The Taiwan factory has it going on.

The Large Espada s35vn or the Scout are pretty loud. I'd like to try the XL Espada I bet that one really Clacks! You can tell though with that Demko lock clack on every CS that I've handled that it's definitely locked up. Just that clack gives you a since of security in a folding knife, I like'em.

Golden eye has the best clack. If you own one you’ll know what i mean.

you need a combination of deep lock and thin g10 scale for maximum acoustic.

the lawman has decent clack too

Golden eye has the best clack. If you own one you’ll know what i mean.

you need a combination of deep lock and thin g10 scale for maximum acoustic.

the lawman has decent clack too

Have the GE Elite, and it's not as good as Air Lite, but the CF may cause it to sound different than the G10.

I think an opening clack can be too loud. Usually I prefer a quieter opening. As long as the lock up is solid.

In order from loudest to quiet(that I own)-xl voyager, rajah 3, air lite, American lawman. The American lawman is pretty quiet.

I believe I've found a new winner, as I just got an American 4Max that is just awesome with the loudest Clack I think I've witnessed. Time to get out the Ole CLACK! TESTER! :D CLACK ON BROTHERS, :p

I think of it like working the slide on a 1911 or pump shotgun. Pretty easy though to open it practically noiseless if you need to.
I agree. One night many years ago I was leaving an establishment. My vehicle was paked half a block away. As I was walking an individual rode up to me on a bicycle and began to circle me. Without a word I drew my folder and flicked it open, the cyclist instantly dropped his bike and let me pass without further incident. I kept the knife open and palmed against my side until I was safely in my vehicle, doors locked. "Clacks" save lives!

I think an opening clack can be too loud. Usually I prefer a quieter opening. As long as the lock up is solid.

I was handling my large Espada and Spartan today. The Spartan was noticeably quieter, in my particular piece.

My Rajah 1 and 2 have very nice clacks as well.
I literally haven't opened my Rajah 1 in years. No that's not true. I went through most of the folders for an oiling a year or two ago. I'll have that one forever, and considered a second a few times.:thumbsup:

Back