Most versatile/well-rounded knife you have

Last time we talked about knives you enjoyed the most or had the most fun with. This time let’s talk about something a little different. Which knife or knives in your collection do you consider to be the most versatile? By this I mean you call upon it for a multitude of tasks important to you, be it food prep, house chores, camp chores, etc., and it performs all those tasks marvelously. I’ll start!

For folders, I’d say it’s the Spyderco Resilience. Being a lower-cost tool, I don’t find myself hesitant to use it for work (without going into abusive territory). It’s proven itself to be fairly durable, and the generous blade length is certainly welcome. I use it for house chores and the occasional food prep.

For fixed blades, perhaps the Mora Kansbol. Really got fond of this knife rather quickly. It does utility work, food prep, and EDC (pocket carry) just fine. I’ve acquired plenty of blades that I don’t strictly “need” but I’d say the Kansbol is one of the must-haves.

What’s your pick? Is it a multitool? Folder? Chopper? Bushcraft blade? Or perhaps the legendary smatchet?

For my uses, I find the Fällkniven F1 is probably about the most versatile.

6mX3MM6.jpg

Spyderco Military or Large Sebenza

Excellent choices!
My Large Sebenza would be the knife I'd pick if I could only keep one for all my EDC uses. I've got a Military too, and it would be hard to pass on that, but I think I'd prefer the Sebenza. It's got nearly as much edge length in a much smaller and more pocketable package, stronger tip, feels stronger and simpler overall.
piord9.jpg

The absolutely most versatile for any purpose I use a knife for knife? Or that I might need or want to use a knife for? The one that can do anything? And by anything we mean everything, right? Right? And that I actually own?

Then for me at least, it's this one:

Dexter.jpg

9" Dexter Russell

All around fixed:

2DF65007-A885-460F-88A2-4E84D826AA0C.jpeg

All around folder:

A54D5FEA-A0A3-431B-ACA0-8DB640A260FB.jpeg

They are my “go to” in any given situation and have helped me out of countless situations.

Another combo I’m very fond of, that have seen plenty of work:

A732C7AB-9D50-438A-89D5-DCDA5E471A1F.jpeg

The absolutely most versatile for any purpose I use a knife for knife? Or that I might need or want to use a knife for? The one that can do anything? And by anything we mean everything, right? Right? And that I actually own?

Then for me at least, it's this one:

View attachment 1543324

9" Dexter Russell
Pretty much hit the nail on the head! That blade looks like it serves you well.

Great choices from everyone.

I hadn't given it much thought before, and only acquired one in the last year, but for me it is the SOG SEAL Pup.
qsPC5Q.jpg

It does everything I need - gralloch (gutting), skin and butcher deer, just large enough to be a good, camp knife. Its wieldy enough to do some fine work with its sharp clip point, strong enough to some more demanding chores. It doesn't weigh much and I find the hard and harshly textured handle to be perfect grip even when wet, greasy, bloody or cold. Stainless holds up well to corrosion and is easy to sharpen, and doesn't lose its edge quickly. The 'non Elite' version is better for my use (lacks the spine jimping) and is really affordable.
It has replaced my previous deer knife and I see it replacing some of my other knives in more regular use in the future.

Last edited:
Funny you mention the Spyderco Resiliance, I have mine in front of me right now, I was just sharpening it on my ceramic rods, right back to hair popping sharp in 4-5 strokes on a medium grit rod. I actually don't mind the steel, I think it's perfectly acceptable for standard use even though it gets a bad reputation.
I think my most useful outside knife (Gardening, abusing, general hard use tasks, even digging up roots) is my Hultafors GK Heavy Duty.
My most used folder is actually probably my large Opinel #13. I think I use that knife around the house more than any other knife, it sees a lot of food prep inside and outside. it's my go to BBQ knife and camping food prep knife too. It's basically a folding fillet chef knife.
My Spyderco Chaparral sees a lot of craft use, lots of fabric cutting, a little wood work, marking and general EDC use, cutting string opening boxes etc.

Most used is a cold steel tuff lite. Most versatile is probably a dark timber honey badger (I have a few).

Pulling a "Smatchet" in the very first post. Well done, sir!

So, do multitools count....?

knNNVC3.jpg

Just by "feature count", it would probably be the most versatile "knife" that I have (though it's not a knife, it's a multitool ;)).

It's my choice for the most fancy of occasions, so it doesn't get carried much.

My Alox Electrician probably gets the vote if we start talking about the times when it's been used for "knife adjacent" tasks. Is it cheating because the Alox has tools that are better suited to those jobs?

Fqbxzzj.jpg

Back