Review Most visually dynamic 3D scale material ever - Chatoyant Carbon Fiber

Many say it blows away Carboquartz, but that's not the main advantage - two advantages, actually - 1. Its a fraction of the cost of Carboquartz, and 2. is made here in America, not Europe.
But that's not why top knifemakers use it. They use it because its looks so freakin cool.

Its the first CF composite that actually harnesses the inherent chatoyance (reflective "flash" of fibers) of carbon fiber, where I press the CF between molds at over fifteen thousand lbs per sq ft of pressure, then the waves from the molds show through the CCF after machining flat.

Molds are based on top grade wood figure like Quilt, Curly, and Wide Ribbon Flame figure.

These are shots of master panels prior to being cut into knife scales or 1911 grips:

wrf-silverboro-fullfacepanel.jpg
ccf-006-quilt-clsp.jpg
WRF-B2P-EdgeVu.jpg

Then once machined into scales, they take on an entirely different "wood grain" effect while reflecting the 3D flash of figure:

1911-SolidCF-gripFramed-fixed.JPG
Maverick-WRF-810!.JPG

Since I manually layup the CF, I am able to interleaf metal foils or metallic pigment layers for insane visual effect:

1911-wrf-platinum-txt.jpg
1911-PurpleCham.jpg
AE-WRF-SharpCoop.jpg
image1.jpeg
Then there is my original product line of dichroic laminated resin stock that is optically identical to the gemstone Opal. It is approved for use as inlay stock, but is under physical testing at this time before being approved for knifescales (because many glue it to steel tangs, and there is a CTE difference):

1911-BS-Txt.JPG

Red Burl Dichrolam:

20181001_142105__39275.1538498938.jpg

image548028-140e542df69354de4df051f482eec390.jpg

Very cool!

Out of this world!

Thanks! Lots more variations coming. Triple layer copper in the Wild Ribbon Flame is coming very soon.

The Dichrolam is now approved for non glued scales now. Passed physical testing - Freeze / thaw / heat thermal cycling. 3" x 1" x 1/4" test sample was epoxied to .060" steel then subjected to 100 degree temp swings (Placed in front of heater, then placed in freezer several times). The weakest link in the lamination chain is supposed to be the interface between dichroic core layer and the clear and backing resin, but one fo the two test samples delammed off the steel core, not the dichroic interface layer. If it delammed at dichroic optical core layer it looks like "whiting effect" and creeps about 1/8" into edge, never full delam. The new burls have a new adhesion primer core, so no delam in test sample, but still not going to warranty if it is glued to tang (why the test sample was glued to steel). Needs screws / pins only, as the thermal CTE still moves and the test sample delammed off the steel, leaving the dichroic layers unaffected.

Nice part is many guys don't glue scales anyway. Just like these grips below:

Grips-fourburls.jpg

Back