Motion!

Why not just "Swords Discussion"? This is a general term encompassing all areas and cultures. No, stepping on toes with a name similar to "Sword Forum" and be less confusing to others.

"Forum" in Latin means "market", "Court" or "Civic Center" where the populus come to discuss or buy. So, why not?

Sorry about that....had to reboot after the first reply and did see it come up. I thought it did not register.

Laurie:

It's okie about the double posts and stuff, most everyone's done it before and we know it happens. So no worries there
biggrin.gif

Yes, Sword Discussions would work, my suggestion was "Sword and Sword Arts" forum or discussion, whichever you prefer.

Thanks for your added input.

Shinryû.

Hey Bob, you found a job (Goderator), congratz, your troubles are over now.
wink.gif

Sword Discussion Forum sound ok to you guys? If so, I'll change it tonight.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

Good one Spark
Thanks!
G2

that'll work

------------------
The thorn stands to defend the Rose, yet it is peaceful and does not seek conflict

Works for me, unless you would prefer "The White Arm Forum" (Sir Richard Burton reference, for those who haven't read the Book of the Sword. If you haven't, get on it! This is required reading! Quiz on Monday.)

I've read it (will tried to) but I don't remember anything about "white arms" care to fill me in? When I said I have read it I guess I should really say I have read the first half. Did anyone else find some of it hard to stay awake through?

""The history of the sword is the history of humanity. The 'White Arm' means something more than the 'oldest, the most universal, the most varied of weapons, the only one which has lived through all time.'"
Burton is a hard read because he assumes the reader has a working knowledge of classical Greek and Latin, mythology, linguistics and literature. Add to that the fact that he is, for all his scholarship, an undisciplined writer. Still, the Book of the Sword can be fun to read, even if you only take it in small doses at a time. Here is an excellent introduction to Burton's amazingly colorful life and prolific writings.

[This message has been edited by Berkley (edited 08-11-2000).]

Well, that was classic General education back then in Victorian times. It was thought important enough to have some knowledge of those languages. The Public High School I went to, many moons ago, was the only one left in the District that still offered 4 years of Latin as a "Language Arts" along with the usual "French, German and Spanish". (1969 grad) They dropped it a few years later after the teacher retired.

Still have to find my copy...grrr.

Burton's use of the term "White Arm" to refer to the idealized sword is a good example of his literary style, an allusion to the legend of Excalibur: "in the midst of the lake Arthur was ware of an arm clothed in white Samite, that held a fair sword in that hand."

Robert, I'm gonna have to agree this is a seriously stupid name. I went looking for the sword forum and couldn't even find it this morning at first. Anyway, maybe they'll change it now that they know I don't like it.
Mykl

------------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

Being brand new to this forum I would have to say that the name sounds a little cheesey. Sword and Sword arts seems to show the level of maturity the members of this forum warrant. And being a six year student of Iga-ryu ninjutsu I would really not like to be associated or labeled as a ninja wannabe.

Being brand new to this forum I would have to say that the name sounds a little cheesey. Sword and Sword arts seems to show the level of maturity the members of this forum warrant. And being a six year student of Iga-ryu ninjutsu I would really not like to be associated or labeled as a ninja wannabe.

Back