mountain bike - my woods vehicle.

It's been a long time since I made time to ride but when I do, it's a '96 Zaskar LE. Old school. Nowadays at least.

my friends rode at night one time and quickly realized our headlamps and flashlights are not bright enough...that and no one wanted to be in front or at the back :p

I can imagine.

I run 3*XML out front for most of the year. In winter I step that up to 9*XML if... blah.

Whilst that has distinct advantages to the navigator / leader / pathfinder there's a distinct downside though. Below is dusk on a seafront cycle path, so I'm only running one XML. And that's what I get back off one bloke's panniers if I try to wheel suck.

m0871379u7lq26d3uh1j.jpg

Off road bicycles were a real novelty in the early 1980s (in the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia) and a colleague of mine got all enamoured with (and bought) what he called (at the time) a 'stump jumper'. That he could pedal off into the woods with it (actually go somewhere, and enjoy himself) prompted me to order a Canadian-made then-custom Rocky Mountain version in 1988. I still have it and haven't managed to bend or break it. No spring-loaded front forks, disc brakes or rear suspension but it'll outlive me and it's increasingly become an enjoyable exercise program on wheels.

Off road bicycles were a real novelty in the early 1980s (in the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia) and a colleague of mine got all enamoured with (and bought) what he called (at the time) a 'stump jumper'. That he could pedal off into the woods with it (actually go somewhere, and enjoy himself) prompted me to order a Canadian-made then-custom Rocky Mountain version in 1988. I still have it and haven't managed to bend or break it. No spring-loaded front forks, disc brakes or rear suspension but it'll outlive me and it's increasingly become an enjoyable exercise program on wheels.

Nice; a lot of that late 80s stuff got totally trashed by aggressive riders and then tossed aside because no suspension etc. Definitely hang onto it!

Nice; a lot of that late 80s stuff got totally trashed by aggressive riders and then tossed aside because no suspension etc. Definitely hang onto it!

Why? If you are going to buy an mountain bike, you want those things on your bike.

Why? If you are going to buy an mountain bike, you want those things on your bike.

Yes and no. 'Bouncy' bikes have many more break and wear-prone parts, are more complicated to service, incur higher costs and have added weight (if equal durability were the spec instead of comfort). The KISS principle has increasingly become sidelined on consumer goods via those folks with oodles of disposable income. Every year or two they find an excuse to toss the bike and fork over a wad of cash to get in on the latest version. Racers do want every edge they can get whereas recreational riders are constrained only by their wallets.
Every garbage day around here there are some 'still shiny' (not age or sun faded) bikes, complete with wheels and tires, sitting out by the curb awaiting pickup. Same locale 50 years ago the only bike parts that got tossed were broken frames, worn out tires and ruined rims, everything else got recycled neighbourhood-wide right back on to other bikes.

Yes and no. 'Bouncy' bikes have many more break and wear-prone parts, are more complicated to service, incur higher costs and have added weight (if equal durability were the spec instead of comfort). The KISS principle has increasingly become sidelined on consumer goods via those folks with oodles of disposable income. Every year or two they find an excuse to toss the bike and fork over a wad of cash to get in on the latest version. Racers do want every edge they can get whereas recreational riders are constrained only by their wallets.
Every garbage day around here there are some 'still shiny' (not age or sun faded) bikes, complete with wheels and tires, sitting out by the curb awaiting pickup. Same locale 50 years ago the only bike parts that got tossed were broken frames, worn out tires and ruined rims, everything else got recycled neighbourhood-wide right back on to other bikes.

When I was a kid, most bikes were passed on the the next generation and used. My first bicycle was a hand me down clunker. But even without gears, we still used to do up to 10 mile rides. (Had 20 miles and edited it to "up to 10 miles" because I can only remember a couple 20 mile rides back in those days and it was considered a long ride. We were afraid of breakdowns and having to push a bike for 10 miles. Not fun.) So, I agree with your observation about "bikes on the curb" these days.

I am a recreational rider only and I am only starting to get back into the saddle. I have no interest in competition and I find it boring to watch on TV. I don't know how important those newer things are when you get down to it, but I certainly would like a more comfortable seat. :rolleyes:

I was out today riding in Cades Cove (Smoky Mt NP). It was hot (around 95 degrees). I couldn't drink enough water to hydrate myself properly. I tried however. About two-thirds of the way through the 11-12 mile run, my thighs cramped up (both at the same time). I feel sure it's a mixture of hydration and being totally out of shape relative to biking. I didn't enjoy the cramps. But I walked it off pushing my bike up a hill. No big thing, but I learned a few things today about my fitness. This will change.

It has been about 10 years (maybe longer) since I road a bike any more than a couple hundred yards. I used to be into the endurance thing and road hard and fast over pretty good distances on my racing bike (even in hot weather). But I was a lot younger. Not making excuses for myself. But age matters.

Wildlife was on the scarce side which is the dominant reason for riding there. I saw three black bears. No cubs. Saw a few deer, but nothing to write home about except one buck was a beast (12 pt in velvet). I took my DSLR along. It was too much trouble to dig out for pictures. Next time I will carry along my small Canon point and shoot accepting the reality that taking really good pictures of wildlife will not happen if I am biking. There is no cell phone coverage there for the most part.

Added: Been thinking, 11-12 miles is not a short ride unless you ride a lot. Plenty for me and probably more comfortable with 5 mile rides in the same terrain. I will probably head back there in a week or so depending on work schedules and do the ride again. I really like seeing black bears and large whitetail bucks.

Last edited:
Usually ride the mtb more in the fall/spring, but still try to get out on the local mountain at least once a week or two this time of year.

Santa Cruz Tallboy, full xt and now 1x10. The usual spot is all rutted and washed out so maybe looking to get the LT model in a year or two. I go through road bikes yearly but this ones been around for a bit now.

This cross bike has been taking up the ride time at the moment, with 42mm tires its surprisingly good for chunky peanut butter trails, not so much the pile of peanuts trail we usually ride.

Old school rider here. No Pic but current ride is an amalgam of somewhat current and older components on a US made Trek 8500, circa 2007 if I remember correctly. Been sort of shopping for a new bike, I only buy a new one every 10 years or so after being a BMX kid in the 80's and transitioning to MTB in 1991 or 92. The sticker shock is a deal breaker for me, has me re-evaluating what I really need in an off road bike. I've ridden the 29" wheels and while interesting and fun, I am not blown over. I am not in the market for the large "fat" bikes (earlier post regarding this was pretty accurate, but leaves out the bikes that were custom built first for the Iditabike races in late 80's) having ridden those as well, I just don't need it. So, I am leaning towards one of the new single chainring/multiple gear rear cassette type. Surly makes the Karate Monkey which can be had custom built complete around $1200, but it's a 29er. I don't ride primarily offroad like I used to, I squeeze rides in that are a mix of road and trail now that I am a dad of two, I just don't have time to plan day trips to state parks like I used to. Still won't make the jump to a road or cross bike, I like to bunny hop and I'm a big guy. Anybody here have a recommendation? Knife content; I always carry! Usually have my CS Hold Out 4" and sometimes I strap my Izula to my Camelbak!

What don't you like about 29ers? For road/trail mixed riding they're really perfect, kinda get awkward in tight twisty descents though. Have you looked at used bikes? A hard tail 29er with decent spec 10 speed group shouldn't be much more than a grand or so. 11 speed is a gimmick for MTB but the single front ring is awesome and can be done with any double ring crank, you don't need a 1x specific one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying don't have the new tech on your bike. I'm saying keep the old one as is it was.

It's like trying to wire airbags and ABS into a GTO. Sure you could but you wind up ruining what the car is.

What don't you like about 29ers? For road/trail mixed riding they're really perfect, kinda get awkward in tight twisty descents though. Have you looked at used bikes? A hard tail 29er with decent spec 10 speed group shouldn't be much more than a grand or so. 11 speed is a gimmick for MTB but the single front ring is awesome and can be done with any double ring crank, you don't need a 1x specific one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 29" wheels, I didn't like how it felt in tight, Western PA singletrack. It felt like I was driving an old cruiser through the woods. I'm trying to stay open minded about the possibility of one though as they seem to be more the norm these days and my choices more limited.

On 29" wheels, I didn't like how it felt in tight, Western PA singletrack. It felt like I was driving an old cruiser through the woods. I'm trying to stay open minded about the possibility of one though as they seem to be more the norm these days and my choices more limited.

I hear ya, thats my one complain about my tallboy and its one of the more nimble feeling 29ers I've been on. There is a big speed advantage on pavement though compared to a 680b/27.5 bike, and more tire options (cross, mtb, and road/hybrid). Now that 26" wheels are basically dead you can get some amazing deals on bikes running that size, plus some of them will fit 27.5/650b wheels so you can always upgrade/change if the 26" tire selection dries up down the road. Now is the time for selling not buying though.

Haven't been out much with this year, but after reading a couple pages I'm planning to this weekend :)

26691530953_e639ce18f9_h.jpg

Got a brother who builds 'em. He just finished a Ridley Blast for me with SRAM components. I'm pretty new to mountain biking, but I love being on a bike.

It's been a long time since I made time to ride but when I do, it's a '96 Zaskar LE. Old school. Nowadays at least.

that is old school! i'll probably be the same way - no urge to upgrade my bike.

a full rigid on the trail definitely attracts attention especially if the rider can ride...equivalent of seeing a modded ferrari/not a garage queen to car guys...thumbs up all around.

Usually ride the mtb more in the fall/spring, but still try to get out on the local mountain at least once a week or two this time of year.

Santa Cruz Tallboy, full xt and now 1x10. The usual spot is all rutted and washed out so maybe looking to get the LT model in a year or two. I go through road bikes yearly but this ones been around for a bit now.

This cross bike has been taking up the ride time at the moment, with 42mm tires its surprisingly good for chunky peanut butter trails, not so much the pile of peanuts trail we usually ride.

nice bikes! why the yearly change on road bikes? just curious.

Haven't been out much with this year, but after reading a couple pages I'm planning to this weekend :)

26691530953_e639ce18f9_h.jpg

alright! if it ever cools down here i might do the same.

Old school rider here. No Pic but current ride is an amalgam of somewhat current and older components on a US made Trek 8500, circa 2007 if I remember correctly. Been sort of shopping for a new bike, I only buy a new one every 10 years or so after being a BMX kid in the 80's and transitioning to MTB in 1991 or 92. The sticker shock is a deal breaker for me, has me re-evaluating what I really need in an off road bike. I've ridden the 29" wheels and while interesting and fun, I am not blown over. I am not in the market for the large "fat" bikes (earlier post regarding this was pretty accurate, but leaves out the bikes that were custom built first for the Iditabike races in late 80's) having ridden those as well, I just don't need it. So, I am leaning towards one of the new single chainring/multiple gear rear cassette type. Surly makes the Karate Monkey which can be had custom built complete around $1200, but it's a 29er. I don't ride primarily offroad like I used to, I squeeze rides in that are a mix of road and trail now that I am a dad of two, I just don't have time to plan day trips to state parks like I used to. Still won't make the jump to a road or cross bike, I like to bunny hop and I'm a big guy. Anybody here have a recommendation? Knife content; I always carry! Usually have my CS Hold Out 4" and sometimes I strap my Izula to my Camelbak!

i hear yah on sticker shock. higher-end ones are priced the same as decent to good motorcycles! health benefits is the only upside though to not having a motor.

i'm still riding my now 5-yrs old fuel ex 8...the only bike in the group not built from the ground up..it's safe to say it's the mora in a sea of custom knives on this trip :D

070316_jungle_habitat_003_zpskfhtcctw.jpg

I have this same bike, but i don't get it out nearly as much as i used to since moving away from easy trail access. I miss it.

I need to get back into biking. Back in the 90s I was a bike officer. I was in Virginia. We did a lot of off roading. Vest, gun belt and bike bag. We were IPMBA certified.

This is my fairly new Gravity 29+ bike. I am really digging it so far, with about 220miles on it. Amazing how much you can roll over with the 29x3" tires.
Bruce
RJN4x1u.jpg

Back