Mountainsmith Day TLS Lumbar Pack

Cool pack. You should really like it. They carry like they aren't even there.

I have the exact same one set up as a bushcraft pack. 2 USGI canteens, M.E.S.T. 100' of Para, spool of twine. Kansbol attached to the Mollie, GB Outdoor axe tucked inside with the handle sticking out the right side. Badger Claw Fire pouch, Opinel saw with BC sheath, FAK, fingerless wool gloves, Trangia stove and GSI kettle, and on and on. I use the Strapettes.

Love these packs. Bride confiscated my old one. So I ordered the new style.

I think I'm gonna like it a lot. Strapettes will be in tomorrow.

Cool pack. You should really like it. They carry like they aren't even there.

I have the exact same one set up as a bushcraft pack. 2 USGI canteens, M.E.S.T. 100' of Para, spool of twine. Kansbol attached to the Mollie, GB Outdoor axe tucked inside with the handle sticking out the right side. Badger Claw Fire pouch, Opinel saw with BC sheath, FAK, fingerless wool gloves, Trangia stove and GSI kettle, and on and on. I use the Strapettes.

Love these packs. Bride confiscated my old one. So I ordered the new style.

Do have happen to have any pics of your set up?
Thanks

Looking forward to getting the straps in today. Gonna load it up, and see what it at least feels like.

This is a pretty good review. It's the Tour model, which is the same as the Day model, just less capacity:

[video=youtube;w_WB23gP8W8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_WB23gP8W8[/video]

Strapettes came in. Walked around the house a bit with them on. Definitely a game changer:

14a.png

Thanks for that link, Dubz. I kind of like the one he reviewed. The shoulder straps would be a must.

Thanks for that link, Dubz. I kind of like the one he reviewed. The shoulder straps would be a must.

No problem. Really digging this pack. Loaded it up, and walked around the house a bit with it. Really nice and comfortable. Straps definitely a must have. Still working out what gear to put in it. For day hikes, we mostly carry cooking items more than anything else.

That's the Tour pack in the vid. 500ci, vs the Day's 800. I wondered if the size of the Day pack would be overkill, but I'm glad I chose it, once I started placing gear into it.

...Love these packs. Bride confiscated my old one. So I ordered the new style.

Would you please compare the old design/materials versus the new? I like the old pinion green color and they can still be had here and there, but wonder if I would be giving up too much not getting the newer model.

Would you please compare the old design/materials versus the new? I like the old pinion green color and they can still be had here and there, but wonder if I would be giving up too much not getting the newer model.

Here's a video I came across the other day that compares the old and new:

[video=youtube;wOt79VYevKE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOt79VYevKE[/video]

Thanks for that. The speaker says at one point that MS went back to Cordura as they found it the more durable fabric, which kind of implies the recycled material they were using was lacking in some way?

Thanks for that. The speaker says at one point that MS went back to Cordura as they found it the more durable fabric, which kind of implies the recycled material they were using was lacking in some way?

I really don't know man, wish I could help.

I have one of the older models, Black. I can't recall the model, but it's the largest one they made at the time. I got there true shoulder straps as well. I've used it a bunch and keep it loaded in my truck as a GHB. It'll hold a bunch of stuff and carries well.
The water bottle packets never bothered me. but I have pretty broad shoulders as well. If you are more narrow it might make a difference.

Adding to the love and thoughts on these packs...

I have an older Daylight Tour like this one.
Mountainsmith-Daylight-Lumbar-Pack_35161A.jpg

It's a fantastic EDC bag (aka man purse) but I don't care for it, or any other fanny pack, in the woods.

Around town, I strongly prefer a shoulder bag over a backpack. In and out of cars and building, the shoulder bag comes on and off easily. In crowded buildings or on public transit, I like being able to spin the bag around to the front for greater security. It also is much easier to access EDC items than a backpack which needs to be taken off entirely to access things (usually).

I also use it for my air plane second carry on bag in conjunction with a larger carry on sized travel backpack. By using the shoulder strap over the head messenger bag style and spinning the bag to the front, I can still wear my travel backpack while having direct and protected access to EDC items in my Daylight.

I also like to use the single shoulder strap over my head messenger bag style in conjunction with the hip belt. The hip belt suspension is adequate for the job (mostly) when the bag is maxed out with stuff but I hate, hate, hate, hate putting on full fanny packs. They are heavy and cumbersome to deal with flopping around my butt when trying to them cinched up. By putting the bag strap on over my head messenger bag style, it's infinitely easier to get the bag in position for using the hip belt.

I don't use strapettes and am not interested in getting them. For one, the combination of single strap over the head messenger bag style is more than enough to stabilize the pack when its maxed out. At about 12L in volume, it's hard to get much weight in it unless you're carrying a ton of liquids (or rocks).

I'm a big guy. I'm over 6'3" and wear XL jackets. I've long ago concluded that I need a minimum of 25L for a day pack and at that size, I vastly prefer a day pack. In the woods, a day pack is both more comfortable and easier to manage.

I'm holding on to my Daylight though. It stays in my car during the work week and is my constant companion on weekends.

Anybody know if there is any cyber deals on this pack? I have searched but can't find it below 70. thought I may be able to find it a bit lower but can't seem to find it

Anybody know if there is any cyber deals on this pack? I have searched but can't find it below 70. thought I may be able to find it a bit lower but can't seem to find it

Haven't seen any cheaper than that lately. The river store had them like mine a few weeks ago for $52. Looks like it's over now though.

Any chance you would sell now? I'm looking for the Daylight model in this color way and can't seem to find it anywhere online.

Adding to the love and thoughts on these packs...

I have an older Daylight Tour like this one.
Mountainsmith-Daylight-Lumbar-Pack_35161A.jpg

It's a fantastic EDC bag (aka man purse) but I don't care for it, or any other fanny pack, in the woods.

Around town, I strongly prefer a shoulder bag over a backpack. In and out of cars and building, the shoulder bag comes on and off easily. In crowded buildings or on public transit, I like being able to spin the bag around to the front for greater security. It also is much easier to access EDC items than a backpack which needs to be taken off entirely to access things (usually).

I also use it for my air plane second carry on bag in conjunction with a larger carry on sized travel backpack. By using the shoulder strap over the head messenger bag style and spinning the bag to the front, I can still wear my travel backpack while having direct and protected access to EDC items in my Daylight.

I also like to use the single shoulder strap over my head messenger bag style in conjunction with the hip belt. The hip belt suspension is adequate for the job (mostly) when the bag is maxed out with stuff but I hate, hate, hate, hate putting on full fanny packs. They are heavy and cumbersome to deal with flopping around my butt when trying to them cinched up. By putting the bag strap on over my head messenger bag style, it's infinitely easier to get the bag in position for using the hip belt.

I don't use strapettes and am not interested in getting them. For one, the combination of single strap over the head messenger bag style is more than enough to stabilize the pack when its maxed out. At about 12L in volume, it's hard to get much weight in it unless you're carrying a ton of liquids (or rocks).

I'm a big guy. I'm over 6'3" and wear XL jackets. I've long ago concluded that I need a minimum of 25L for a day pack and at that size, I vastly prefer a day pack. In the woods, a day pack is both more comfortable and easier to manage.

I'm holding on to my Daylight though. It stays in my car during the work week and is my constant companion on weekends.

Back