MSP Core 4 Stove (Core 4 Bio-reactor Multifunction Stove)

Heres an Assembly Video of the MSP Core 4 Buoreactor in 3 Mode setup in different ways.
Hope it helps.
[video=youtube_share;R6wQI5BU8NY]http://youtu.be/R6wQI5BU8NY[/video]

I been putting my Core 4 Stove through lots of use.
I recently washed it and the colors are pretty sweet! This stove has dozens of burns under its belt and still wants more! I thought I'd share a few pictures of how it looks now. Seems to get nicer with use!
Front views
7CE35209-FA44-45E7-9DED-536798317BBC.jpg

7DC2EBB6-51E2-4503-ADBC-D498B1A2E0C5.jpg

Side ish view
DC6ED076-F9B8-4B91-BE22-3C55A8747AD8.jpg

Heres all parts disassembled.
E577676B-03D0-4D11-BBDC-A6B112A2838A.jpg

All stacked & ready to be packed in its pouch case!
572FEA68-30E2-47FE-99FB-97E836306913.jpg

Hope you like the pictures and as always if tou have questions let me know.

ADB

Last edited:
My hunt for a woodstove has come to an end... picked the MSP Core 4 Bioreactor in the Ultimate Titanium version, AngryDaddyBirds review helped a lot in making my desicion. (thanks man!)
Setting it up with 3 afterburners inside took a bit of hassling for the first time, but the first sticks burned made me forget that real quick :D
Very easy to light, super nice concentrated high flame out of the top.

Haven't cooked anything on it yet but that'll come over the next few days/weeks.
Need to practise setting it up a bit :eek:
Put together, brand spanking new, the grillplate, triangular burnplate shown on the right with the cinch bag to store it in:
Core-4_00.jpg

Lighting it gave a big fire, I stuffed it from the top with some dry birch twigs and bark.

Core-4_01.jpg

After that the twigs feeded through the front (rocket)port were al that was needed to keep a blazing fire going:
Core-4_02.jpg

See the twigs getting shorter:
Core-4_03.jpg

And they're all in there:
Core-4_04.jpg

Nice heat coloring after the first bur, gotta love titanium:
Core-4_05.jpg

Core-4_06.jpg

I'll try make a more complete review after using it for a bit and actually cooking some stuff on it.
This was just the burst burn right after it got delivered to my door :)

Interesting stove. It seems to have more parts and pieces than a cut up fryer chicken. 18? I realize many are optional for different configurations though.

Interesting stove. It seems to have more parts and pieces than a cut up fryer chicken. 18? I realize many are optional for different configurations though.
Yeah, that worried me a bit when I ordered. 14 parts used in the above setup :D But it also functions like normal twig stoves with just 3 walls and a burn plate... 4 parts total if you want a simple setup.

Yeah, that worried me a bit when I ordered. 14 parts used in the above setup :D But it also functions like normal twig stoves with just 3 walls and a burn plate... 4 parts total if you want a simple setup.

So five in the square config? Price looked reasonable when I searched it out. Particularly for titanium. The pierced bottom plate bothers me though. One of the features I like from the two I have tried is the solid floor that protects surfaces below. It does seem like this stove has an excellent chimney/carburetor effect with the internal baffles in place. Damit makes me want one to play with! :D

So five in the square config? Price looked reasonable when I searched it out. Particularly for titanium. The pierced bottom plate bothers me though. One of the features I like from the two I have tried is the solid floor that protects surfaces below. It does seem like this stove has an excellent chimney/carburetor effect with the internal baffles in place. Damit makes me want one to play with! :D

There is a reflector plate that goes underneath the pierced bottom plate...gives you another part though ;)

I boiled some water on it tonight... 500 ml cold tap water in my backyard, no wind, 16 degrees celsius outside:
Core-4_07.jpg

Just lit up
Core-4_08.jpg

Perfect fit for my pan
Core-4_10.jpg

Looks hot in there:
Core-4_11.jpg

Some tiny bubble forming already:
Core-4_12.jpg

Just under 4 minutes, with still one of the stick in the first pic left! Not bad.
Core-4_13.jpg

Core-4_14.jpg

After about 25 minutes... just some glow left:
Core-4_15.jpg

Thanks!

OK, I see the solid plate further up the page. Not tabbed to replace the pierced plate though is it? Just wondering if it would burn the same with a solid baseplate, not an additional lower plate.

Sorry, one of my flaws. I can't stop thinking like a manufacturing engineer. Always looking for a way to improve things, even if they already work! :D

Thanks!

OK, I see the solid plate further up the page. Not tabbed to replace the pierced plate though is it? Just wondering if it would burn the same with a solid baseplate, not an additional lower plate.

Sorry, one of my flaws. I can't stop thinking like a manufacturing engineer. Always looking for a way to improve things, even if they already work! :D

It goes below the pierced burn plate, so different tabs. Sharp eye.
I've read you review on the tops stove (excellent post!) so I know you have a engineering eye ;)

Good to see you like it!
I got the new models to review and should be up soon!
Look forward to your reviews buddy, enjoy them alot.

Last edited:
just seems too 'busy'. Lots of parts to keep track of. Looks like it make quite a fire, but maybe too much for my quick use. I have been using the Vargo folding wood stove. All the parts are connected, and quickly snap into place.
If I am base camping, I'll probably be using a liquid or gas fuel stove, so maybe the Core stove is not for me.
Seems to be well made, and well thought out though. Certainly the price point is attractive.

just seems too 'busy'. Lots of parts to keep track of. Looks like it make quite a fire, but maybe too much for my quick use. I have been using the Vargo folding wood stove. All the parts are connected, and quickly snap into place.
If I am base camping, I'll probably be using a liquid or gas fuel stove, so maybe the Core stove is not for me.
Seems to be well made, and well thought out though. Certainly the price point is attractive.

Yes, you mirror the concerns I note. The apparent complexity, as I also mentioned with the simpler TOPS stove, is mostly due to the attempt to make it a do-everything stove as opposed to a simple twig stove, IMHO. It is one of the bugaboos of inventing a better mousetrap.

However if one finds a preferred configuration, many of the plates can be left at home. This stove does show us what can be done through engineering the airflow to create a hotter, more efficient burn. Some twig stoves seem to ignore this in favor of adaptability for other fuels.

There are times and uses when a blowtorch is handy and times when a slow even heat is preferred. This stove appears to be adaptable in that regard other than by controlling the type and quantity of fuel fed. So each owner can decide for themselves which configuration works best for their needs as circumstances dictate.

Of course I'd love to have an example of this stove to play with. And the Vargo. And the... :D

Yes, you mirror the concerns I note. The apparent complexity, as I also mentioned with the simpler TOPS stove, is mostly due to the attempt to make it a do-everything stove as opposed to a simple twig stove, IMHO. It is one of the bugaboos of inventing a better mousetrap.

However if one finds a preferred configuration, many of the plates can be left at home. This stove does show us what can be done through engineering the airflow to create a hotter, more efficient burn. Some twig stoves seem to ignore this in favor of adaptability for other fuels.

There are times and uses when a blowtorch is handy and times when a slow even heat is preferred. This stove appears to be adaptable in that regard other than by controlling the type and quantity of fuel fed. So each owner can decide for themselves which configuration works best for their needs as circumstances dictate.

Of course I'd love to have an example of this stove to play with. And the Vargo. And the... :D

Well said.
You can find what configuration you like best for your needs and eliminate parts from there. The core works well in simple ; walls and burn plate too so if simplicity is your thing it certainly capable.

I have waaaaaay to many stoves to play with!

Here are some pics from today in the lightest possible setup, just 3 walls and the triangular pierced burnplate:

The 3 wall setup, have many parts that aren't needed around now :)
Core-4_16.jpg

Stuffed with some twigs and shavings:
Core-4_17.jpg

Core-4_18.jpg

Setup with the square bottom makes feeding sticks a little easier because there's more space.
And the afterburners make the flame so much more concentrated, well worth the extra time and effort needed to set it up imho.

So what exactly do the four plates attached to the feed door do besides make a support for sticks being fed?

So what exactly do the four plates attached to the feed door do besides make a support for sticks being fed?
They prevent flames, smoke and gasses from coming out the front so the get directed to where you need them. There is a small 'door' plate included to close the front if you want to feed sticks from the top. That allows the use of 4 afterburners inside instead of 3.

Here's the follow up on my initial review a couple of post above.

I took the stove out on a camping trip for some real outdoor testing.
In various windy conditions, and also after loads of rain when all loose twigs were wet.
Love how the stove functioned.

After setting it a couple of time I seem to get the hang of putting it together in gasifier mode, 3 afterburners and rocketport seems to be my preferred setup so far.
The worries I had of it being too complicated are gone now.
The package keeps fitting in the bag it came in, not much warping going on, easy tossed in my daypack.

Made lunch (noodles) during a hike, took the stove and a pot with some Yum noodles (great stuff!) and water.
Mei_2015_26.jpg

Twigs inside from the top and from the rocketport, filling it uo with wood curls to light it:
Mei_2015_04.jpg

Lighting it, loved the highlight from the firesteel in this pic... not photoshopped :D :
Mei_2015_05.jpg

Yay, flames:
Mei_2015_06.jpg

Pot with water on top, prepping my noodles now :)
Mei_2015_07.jpg

The fire is put out real easy by removing the sticks from the rocketport, time to eat lunch now:
Mei_2015_08.jpg

Also prepped some various stuff on it for dinner, coffee, water for dishwashing and so on at the campsite.
This was after almost 48 hours of rain... no dry wood to be found anywhere, so I batonned some logs to get to some dry stuff.
Used a folding saw that make sawing logs from dead trees so easy.

nDSmjE7BrE6ZXK8pqMjdEBBZrSb23G-TG1jhCvj7IkY=w800-h533-no

L0Gqv01y5kYlovKimJ1Yf13GBy2eVpnFevOzRxhd7_k=w800-h533-no

Mei_2015_20.jpg

Mei_2015_21.jpg

Mei_2015_23.jpg

Mei_2015_24.jpg

Once you get it going with some smaller sticks and wood curls, you only need 2 or 3 bigger sticks to keep it burning.
Longer sticks make maintianing the fire easier, just push 'm in further every now and then.

The stove performed very well during this trip, I love it.

Back