MT17P - Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring K390

tazkristi

Spyderco Moderator
MT17P will be available for sale on Thursday, 18-Jul-2013 at 0900 (MDT)

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at http://spyderco.com. You will find it under model # MT17.

Maximum Purchase Allowed: 2

Cost: $69.95 each

Domestic Shipping: Standard Shipping rates apply.

International Orders/Shipping:
International orders have a maximum allowed amount of $600 (including shipping fees) for all online orders. All orders over $600 must be placed via phone or e-mail and paid for via wire transfer. Shipment of orders paid for via wire transfer will not occur until monies have been received by the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store. You may contact our store to place a wire transfer order at sfo@spyderco.com or 303/279-8383 x 107.

International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $35
Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $50

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About K390:
K390 steel is produced by the Böhler Uddeholm steel company, headquartered in Vienna, Austria. K390 is a powdered metallurgy, cold work tool steel with 9% vanadium and added tungsten and cobalt for excellent wear resistance and high compressive strength that is a workhorse in even the most severe applications. The carbides in the K390 mix are fine in textured and the steel’s remaining components are uniformly sized and distributed evenly throughout the matrix. This equal distribution of elements adds to the overall strength and cutting capacity when the blade is finished and sharpened.

What is the Mule Team:
For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.

Last edited:
Ahhhh exciting. I haven't been able to snag a mule team yet.

Thank you Kristi! Philll the Mules are fantastic. They allow you to try a fully functional performing piece of steel that is very affordable.

Can these be pre ordered and paid for or is it a mad rush once there available on the spyderco store?

Do we know what hardness the k390 will be? I'm going to get one regardless, but interested how far it will be pushed.

I understand it may not be advantageous to give me tips on using the spydie store, but when they say you will find it under Model number, will a site search for it just pull it up at the 9:00 am go time?

Come 9am, you should be able to find the item easily under 'New products' and available for order. They may even be on earlier just listed as out of stock. They should be available for at least a good couple of days but you will see people announcing their order placement moments after 9am here.

Mules normally don't sell out super quickly. That said, there hasn't been a Mule for awhile and this one may be more desireable so I'd expect it to sell out relatively quickly.

This will be my first shot at buying a mule. Already thinking about handle options.

What handle plans does everyone else have???

This will be my first shot at buying a mule. Already thinking about handle options.

What handle plans does everyone else have???

I've made scales for Mules in the past. If you have access to some basic tools, you should do the same.

I've made scales for Mules in the past. If you have access to some basic tools, you should do the same.
Access to tools, yes. Ability to use tools to actually make something, no.

I'm thinking about trying to make some scales with the 3D printer at the office.

Access to tools, yes. Ability to use tools to actually make something, no.

I'm thinking about trying to make some scales with the 3D printer at the office.

All you really need is a block of wood, a drill, a dremel, and some sandpaper. And if you mess up get another block of wood!

Back