MT17P - Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring K390

Lucky dog!

I haven't gotten shippin confirmation yet.

Update: I just got shipping confirmation!

Last edited:
Their site crashed and they may have over sold them. I'm currently waiting for them to sort it out and hopefully get a shipping confirmation. So no, I don't think there's any left.

I ordered two of these, Friday, on a whim. I had no idea there was a mad rush to buy them out?

Just my luck. I ended up in the hospital due to side effects of a blood disease (or 3) that I have and I missed this and the forum Native. I have been waiting for them to drop and I get out and see I missed out.

I hope people use these and the Native and let everyone know how they perform. Congrats to everyone that got them.

K390 Mule got some use in the kitchen and in the back yard today:

P1070045_zpsbb4a139b.png~original

Great pic Thurin! How are you liking that blade?

Great pic Thurin! How are you liking that blade?

Thanks Hugh! So far so good. It'll take more time to know for sure, but I think it's a good knife. I haven't tried sharpening it yet.

I got mine today and am waiting on some black G-10 for scales. I've got one set from Halpern and will probably use their contours as a guide since it feels so nice in hand.

One question I have is how rust-prone is it? I'm not afraid, just curious. I also wonder what kind of patina it will take over time.

My first attempt at 550 cord wrap. It's ugly but it does feel good in the hand. I'll probably end up retying the wrap a couple times. I'll probably try some different colored cord as well.
CA_07241312030551-L.jpg

PB Wilson said:
One question I have is how rust-prone is it? I'm not afraid, just curious. I also wonder what kind of patina it will take over time.

This is my first tool steel blade, but if I had to guess I would think it will behave like drill bits, milling cutters, etc... Do something silly like leave it lying around with no oil or any type of coating on it for months on end it's going to rust. Be sensible and wipe it down with something (I've been using Ballistol) once in a while and I doubt you'll ever see rust form.

As far as patina - that's a good question!

So far the (speculative) consensus seems to be that K390 should be similar to M4.

I'm surprised and I believe this crazy mule is the fastest of its kind to get snapped up. I need to watch out for you guys now.

I got mine today and am waiting on some black G-10 for scales. I've got one set from Halpern and will probably use their contours as a guide since it feels so nice in hand.

It will probably end up like this but then again this was a forced vinegar patina. I have another K390 that has not been oiled since day 1 and it has no patina or rust to speak of.

DSC_0080.jpg

Is Halpern still selling scales for these? It's my first Mule but the Halpern website says it's down for repair so I can't really tell what's available for these and prices.

what other steels does k390 compare too? thanks

Nope. :) Someone will probably test one and report. Spyderco is not meek about getting the HT right. :thumbup:

Looks like I have one on the way to Canada. :D I've been meaning to try my hand at scales and sheath making and I think this mule is going to for my hand haha. I missed out on the last couple of mules and jumped on this one without knowing anything on K390, nice to see you guys like it at least!

This knife in K390 steel will be close to the A11 class of steels. If that doesn't get your heart pumping, go read Ankerson's steel testing thread and see how this steel compares to the others when given a medium (400 grit) finish on the edge. All this performance for $70. Insane...

Back