MT18P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring CPM-S110V

I'm sure that the majority of people buying 2 are planning to flip one or both of them. There are very few knife collectors that would buy 2 of these, one as a backup - most would rather have an S 110V and a K390 as a backup. I don't think I'm off base in believing that most of the people buying 2 will not have both of them a year from now.
You are mistaken in fact. Every Mule I have duplicates of are still owned by me and in my possession.

I agree 100%. these guys are reselling them for sure. It should be a one knife limit. Im going to find out if and when there is going to be a second release. I will let you guys know.

What? Don't keep us waiting too long mmkay?

We probably don't need to hold our breath. I have been buying the Mules since MT01P and unless you torture the meaning of "second release" to cover HT problems there has never been a second release.

Other than the chinese 9Cr18Mo limited to 5 pieces, I remember they are all limited to 2 pieces. Despite the 5 pieces limit, I did only order 2 pieces of MT05. I too also still have all my mules cept the 52100 mt01 which I missed out on and I tend to put a more acute angle on the second pieces. To flip 1 of 2 pieces of limited knives for a couple of dollars is kinda sad though... for its for food.

You are mistaken in fact. Every Mule I have duplicates of are still owned by me and in my possession.

I know there are some people that buy two and keep them. I have two of pretty much everything I consider indispensable, and there are lots of serious collectors out there with the money to spare - but the secondary market has been flooded with K390 MTs since last year, and I would consider that steel at least a little more desirable than S110V (not my preference personally, just in general). I started looking for a halfway decent deal on a K390 after New Years, and have noticed over 15 of the K390 come up for sale in the last month (usually 2x MSRP). I did a search on the exchange and there was over 20 results (I think it goes back a full year on the fixed blade sale forum?), with several people selling 2 in the same thread. They may not even be buying with the intention of flipping, but it was certainly widespread last year, and history tends to repeat itself. Hopefully most of the people that wanted one got one and all the flippers that put theirs up over the next 2 months will drive the price down to fair market price so everybody else that is interested can pick one up for a decent price :thumbup:

What do you do with yours Rev? Leave them blank or handle them?

We probably don't need to hold our breath. I have been buying the Mules since MT01P and unless you torture the meaning of "second release" to cover HT problems there has never been a second release.

I think he meant where Sal said they didn't release the whole batch last Wednesday. They went back up for sale for a short time Saturday, only 20-30 minutes I believe. I haven't heard if there will be a third release, or if they're all gone by now.

That's not a true second release, as often happens with sprints. That's just Spyderco adjusting the web vs. in-store/phone inventory.

I initially wanted to slap some handles on them (wood, Micarta, G10), unfortunately I had to resort to paracord wraps. I have tools, equipment, and material to make handles; the main things I am lacking at the moment is time.

That's not a true second release, as often happens with sprints. That's just Spyderco adjusting the web vs. in-store/phone inventory.

I called spyderco today and they have a waiting list now. They won't be releasing any extra stock online . they will contact the people in the waiting list before putting them for sale.

I initially wanted to slap some handles on them (wood, Micarta, G10), unfortunately I had to resort to paracord wraps. I have tools, equipment, and material to make handles; the main things I am lacking at the moment is time.

*tear* I hate hearing that. But I understand it all too well. I will think of you while I handle mine.

I got my MT18 today. I was surprised by the Taichung etching on the backside of the blade. I figured S110V being a Crucible steel, it would have been a US item. Oh well, S110V is S110V! Time to get crackin on the handle scales!

I got my MT18 today. I was surprised by the Taichung etching on the backside of the blade. I figured S110V being a Crucible steel, it would have been a US item. Oh well, S110V is S110V! Time to get crackin on the handle scales!

Yes to all of that - and Taichung quality does not disappoint, so all is good. :thumbup:

I called spyderco today and they have a waiting list now. They won't be releasing any extra stock online . they will contact the people in the waiting list before putting them for sale.

Nuts.. I assumed they would be releasing the rest online at a later date... I'm assuming they are all spoken for by now. Looks like I missed out on another Mule run :(
So when is the next Mule being released :eek:

At this point I wouldn't assume that the number of people on the list would exceed the number of mules yet to be sold, that is, unless somebody has some inside information about it... there may yet be hope :)

Have my fingers crossed that more will be available at a later date.Being they are being produced in the Tai Chung factory which also makes the S90v Southfork,I don't see why they couldn't produce the full 1000 piece run or possible do an over run.Since, it should prove to be a very popular steel to test out for all regular knife users and steel junkies alike.

We generally make 600-700 pcs on a Mule Team run. I guess we could consider larger runs in the future?

sal

Sal, I assume that it is hard to gauge with certainty which steels will be in higher demand which are planned many months in advance. Perhaps a second run of the steels that did sell out fast is a good solution to explore to save you from taking that risk.

^
Oh, but that adds to the already busy queue. Nevermind :eek: Perhaps steels that were requested a lot like the last two should get a bump in number.

I noticed this, as well...

Makes me think there might be an upcoming production model with S110V coming out of Taichung... Hmmmmm.

We generally make 600-700 pcs on a Mule Team run. I guess we could consider larger runs in the future?

sal

If you can forecast the excitement/interest in the steel.....M390, S90V, S110V, M4, K390, ZDP, etc, will/did sell a ton, but for me, 9cr18mov, Cts-BD1, etc, I will pass on. Not special enough. By the way 4V will sell a lot, it should be the next in line IMO.

I agree. 4V will be as hot an item as K390 due to it's rarity and potential. It looks like excellent cutlery steel. My kind of steel actually.

I find it's pretty easy to call which steels will cause larger than normal feeding frenzys. I also agree with Rev Devil in that I've yet to flip an extra mule for profit. I've given away a couple though.

:)

Back