MUDD Auto knife

I can’t say that I’m nuts about mine. I like the size, blade shape, and build quality but there’s just something about it that doesn’t grab me. It’s probably that I don’t like autos much. I bet if it was a manual version I’d like it a lot more. I do fear damage/wear to the neoprene parts that won’t be repairable in the future.

i.ashx

I actually prefer my manual MUDD. Action is so stellar. I also like the dual thumb discs. As it relates to potential wearing, Gavin will fix anything and they've been making MUDD versions for a long time now.

I actually prefer my manual MUDD. Action is so stellar. I also like the dual thumb discs. As it relates to potential wearing, Gavin will fix anything and they've been making MUDD versions for a long time now.

The ZT’s action is really nice. I’d love to check out a manual MUDD.

Did anyone get the email today on the Mudd knives? I received mine back in January and I'm still on the list to get another one, looks like it's going to be a while before another batch is made..
We are currently not taking any more names for the unofficial M.U.D.D Auto List. The demand for our Deadlock design is just too high, so we've decided to take a step back from making more M.U.D.D knives in 2019. Instead, we will be shifting our focus to Deadlocks for the remainder of the year. We do plan on making more in the future, but it won't be until at least 2020.

Did anyone get the email today on the Mudd knives? I received mine back in January and I'm still on the list to get another one, looks like it's going to be a while before another batch is made..
We are currently not taking any more names for the unofficial M.U.D.D Auto List. The demand for our Deadlock design is just too high, so we've decided to take a step back from making more M.U.D.D knives in 2019. Instead, we will be shifting our focus to Deadlocks for the remainder of the year. We do plan on making more in the future, but it won't be until at least 2020.

Yes, I recieved that email too and am also glad that I bought mine just b4 Texan42 Texan42 bought his.

FWIW, it looks like the price gouging has already begun because someone is already trying to sell one on the Exchange for $540 G&S/$525 F&F, which is a lot more than what G&G was selling them for just last month.

I'm a collector (not a flipper), so I'm keeping mine. I'd love to buy one of their Deadlocks too but $1.1k is just WAY too much for me to spend on any knife. I'm more than happy w/my much more "affordable" $390 (list) MUDD auto.

LOL! ;)

Last edited:
Before i would want to lay out around $400 US for this new Mudd Auto, i would like to really hold it and compare it's action to my Microtech UDT and Spyderco Autonomy2.

Before i would want to lay out around $400 US for this new Mudd Auto, i would like to really hold it and compare it's action to my Microtech UDT and Spyderco Autonomy2.
I’ve handled all 3. The MUDD isn’t as snappy as the other 2. That being said, I think the Hawk Lock is a better lock and the MUDD is a better knife. It’s bulletproof. Also fairly easy to close one handed.

I’ve handled all 3. The MUDD isn’t as snappy as the other 2. That being said, I think the Hawk Lock is a better lock and the MUDD is a better knife. It’s bulletproof. Also fairly easy to close one handed.
Just how is the Mudd the better knife and what way is it better?

Maintenance free. Impervious to sand, dust, dirt, even mud (hence the name). The entire pivot is sealed. The lock is also completely contained within the handle and imho is one of the best locks out there. The ergos also work well for me. Gavin will also fix anything if you have any issues.

It’s not made of mithril, but is a fantastic knife that doesn’t mind being used hard.

Maintenance free. Impervious to sand, dust, dirt, even mud (hence the name). The entire pivot is sealed. The lock is also completely contained within the handle and imho is one of the best locks out there. The ergos also work well for me. Gavin will also fix anything if you have any issues.

It’s not made of mithril, but is a fantastic knife that doesn’t mind being used hard.
absolutely agree. Got my DCL Auto for $440 shipped, worth every penny.

It's nice to be able to see/feel a knife b4 you buy it but sometimes that's just not possible.

I've purchased ALL of my autos that way off of the Exchange and from other places knowing that I could resell all of them w/o much difficulty w/o losing much if any $ doing so. However, I've NEVER resold any of the autos that I have purchased and I own 23 of them now, including an Autonomy2 and a MicroTech Socom Elite (which is similar in size/action to the LUDT).

The MUDD is unique in build but not in function. It opens and closes and cuts like any other folder (manual or auto). What makes the MUDD unique is its totally sealed body and pivot which is ONLY important if you plan to use the knife in conditions where water, mud and other sh*t might get into it that might muck up the works.

If that's not important to you, don't buy it -- that's assuming you're on the list and are offered one or can find on the 2ndary mkt. You could buy one of the 11 CRKT "field strip technology" knives currently available instead for about 1/4 (or less) of the price of a MUDD but, unlike a MUDD, you'll have to take those knives apart to clean them, which would not be required w/a MUDD (whether manual or auto).

BTW, I only bought the MUDD because of it's unique design. I never use any of the knives in my collection -- I have other knives that I do not consider a part of my "collection" that I use -- so my MUDD will never even cut paper let alone get dropped in the mud. I also have a field strip-able CRKT RTD which won't ever need to get cleaned either.

I just like buying different types of knives w/unique designs that I also find visually appealing for my collection and the MUDD is just one of those.

Last edited:
It's nice to be able to see/feel a knife b4 you buy it but sometimes that's just not possible.

I've purchased ALL of my autos that way off of the Exchange and from other places knowing that I could resell all of them w/o much difficulty w/o losing much if any $ doing so. However, I've NEVER resold any of the autos that I have purchased and I own 23 of them now, including an Autonomy2 and a MicroTech Socom Elite (which is similar in size/action to the LUDT).

The MUDD is unique in build but not in function. It opens and closes and cuts like any other folder (manual or auto). What makes the MUDD unique is its totally sealed body and pivot which is ONLY important if you plan to use the knife in conditions where water, mud and other sh*t might get into it that might muck up the works.

If that's not important to you, don't buy it -- that's assuming you're on the list and are offered one or can find on the 2ndary mkt. You could buy one of the 11 CRKT "field strip technology" knives currently available instead for about 1/4 (or less) of the price of a MUDD but, unlike a MUDD, you'll have to take those knives apart to clean them, which would not be required w/a MUDD (whether manual or auto).

BTW, I only bought the MUDD because of it's unique design. I never use any of the knives in my collection -- I have other knives that I do not consider a part of my "collection" that I use -- so my MUDD will never even cut paper let alone get dropped in the mud. I also have a field strip-able CRKT RTD which won't ever need to get cleaned either.

I just like buying different types of knives w/unique designs that I also find visually appealing for my collection and the MUDD is just one of those.
Exactly it's different, I've only lightly carried mine but I sure do love it. It fits my hands very well, I bought it to keep but if someone offered me a stupid price I might let it go.. I wanted the ZT version till Gavin came out with the auto I think I would prefer the auto now after having one and using it.

What i notice i dislike watching the Mudd videos reviews, is the blade opening operating slider "switch" also the type of blade it's a sheep's foot maybe, also the pocket clip does not look like what i feel is needed for the knifes weight maybe it is but the way it attaches is strange.
I notice the operating power spring seems on the weak side, i wonder over time if will not fully open the blade when it's really needed.
I still feel the Spyderco Autonomy2 is best Designed and Engineered auto knife, with the right steel for harsh salt water, and a really strong operating spring with a great sized push button and a blade locking device.
Spyderco worked with the U.S. Coast Guard for getting the Autonomy correct and the civilian Autonomy2 at around $188 US is a buy IMHO.

What i notice i dislike watching the Mudd videos reviews, is the blade opening operating slider "switch" also the type of blade it's a sheep's foot maybe, also the pocket clip does not look like what i feel is needed for the knifes weight maybe it is but the way it attaches is strange.
I notice the operating power spring seems on the weak side, i wonder over time if will not fully open the blade when it's really needed.
I still feel the Spyderco Autonomy2 is best Designed and Engineered auto knife, with the right steel for harsh salt water, and a really strong operating spring with a great sized push button and a blade locking device.
Spyderco worked with the U.S. Coast Guard for getting the Autonomy correct and the civilian Autonomy2 at around $188 US is a buy IMHO.

The MUDD opens just fine. It doesn't have the "bang open" feel of other autos that I own but the time required to open isn't significantly greater. It opens a lot like my Benchmades, which I thought were too slow to open when I got them, but it really doesn't matter as long as they do open. All of mine, including the MUDD do.

The Autonomy2 is a fine knife but it is NOT sealed, so sh*t can get in it and, in order to totally clean it, you have to take it apart and put it back together again which is not a simple matter. Not so the MUDD. Yes, the Autonomy uses LC200N steel which is impervious to corrosion BUT other parts of the knife NOT made of LC200N can corrode if not cleaned/lubed properly. Not so the MUDD.

So they are NOT the same type of knife. Apples and oranges really. Just depends on what type of knife you need/want most. Sounds like you only need/want an Autonomy2.

Last edited:
I can’t say that I’m nuts about mine. I like the size, blade shape, and build quality but there’s just something about it that doesn’t grab me. It’s probably that I don’t like autos much. I bet if it was a manual version I’d like it a lot more. I do fear damage/wear to the neoprene parts that won’t be repairable in the future.

i.ashx
I was very close to pulling the trigger on the auto, but then I told myself that I would need to sell the ZT MUDD manual in order to get one. Somehow I could not do it. I still prefer the ZT manual MUDD.

I got the MUDD auto because I go to a dusty to absolutely muddy ranch, depending on the south Texas weather, and need something low maintenance. This fit me perfect.

Back