Mule Knife Returning?

Hey guys,

I’ve been looking at the Mule series of knives and I really like the look and ability to get it in some “exotic” steels.

I’m not sure if I as reading the Spyderco site correctly but they haven’t been made in over 2 years? Has anyone heard of another possible run coming soon?

Not 2 years I dont think, I first heard of them going away this year. Sal mentioned something about making a permanent model but it would be different somehow.

I've got 2 Mules - 1 w/LC200N and another w/20CV steel and 1 w/Spyderco black scales and the other w/Halpern earth brown scales. Also 1 with the OEM Boltaron and the other w/the OEM leather sheath; they are interchangeable.

There are still a few Mule blades in stock in not all that popular steels BUT, if you are planning to buy any Mules in the future (regardless of the steel), I suggest that you buy the scales and sheaths for them NOW b4 they go out of stock and are hard to find again.

Those were the most difficult things to find when I bought my Mule blades. The Boltaron/leather sheaths and the black scales are in stock now on Spyderco's site. There are only a limited stock of Halpern scales still available.

Last edited:
Reactions: AF
We have a few new steels for which we will be making Mule Teams next year.

sal
This is great news as I have purchased two of each since the 52100 came out, one I put handles on permanently and one I have kept in the box. Through this project I have meet a lot of members who specialize in wood, leather, and synthetic materials and have gained respect for all that work in those areas.:D

I have also bought two of each, but I've only put scales on a couple. One always gets a Paracord wrap and goes straight to work. I'm looking forward to trying something new.

There are still a few Mule blades in stock in not all that popular steels BUT, if Spyderco is going to reissue Mules in new/more popular steel, I suggest that you buy the scales and sheaths for them NOW b4 they go out of stock and are hard to find.
I don't think any of the Mule steels were popular when they came out. I think that's the point of them. Surprisingly to me PD#1 is still available. The Cruwear mule seems to be in high demand and the PD#1 is available.

I find the knife community request for Mules perplexing. People are asking Spyderco to make more Mules at the same time some of the previous Mules have not sold out. Within the last year LC200N and A11 Mules were still available and those now seem to be in high demand. Maybe it's a scarcity factor and people want what they can't get(?).

The new Mule Teams pieces will not be in popular steels. They will be in steels never used before.
Thanks Sal. Given that Spyderco is still carrying stock from several years ago I appreciate the willingness to make more of these. Can't wait to get my hands on whatever is next.

I don't think any of the Mule steels were popular when they came out. I think that's the point of them. Surprisingly to me PD#1 is still available. The Cruwear mule seems to be in high demand and the PD#1 is available.

I find the knife community request for Mules perplexing. People are asking Spyderco to make more Mules at the same time some of the previous Mules have not sold out. Within the last year LC200N and A11 Mules were still available and those now seem to be in high demand. Maybe it's a scarcity factor and people want what they can't get(?).

Thanks Sal. Given that Spyderco is still carrying stock from several years ago I appreciate the willingness to make more of these. Can't wait to get my hands on whatever is next.
The people asking for mules are more vocal than the people not asking for mules, presumably there is low interest in them by the majority and they're really just created so that Spyderco can study new steels. There's no other way you can get a Spyderco fixed blade in an exotic steel.

I picked up a K390 Mule the day they went on sale, and it became my absolute favorite knife steel. The Mules are cheap enough to beat on and not really care about, so after putting mine through the gauntlet of living in our kitchen and being "used" by my wife, I knew that the K390 PM2 would be the ultimate folder.

Sal Glesser Sal Glesser , the Mule Team sells knives! Keep the freaky stuff coming.

If we're going to cover favorite Mule steels this could go for a while. :) My favorites are probably:

LC200N: Great utility knife for fishing. Waterway could be a better option - don't have one to compare yet
4V: Edge retention similar to K390 and I assume more toughness (I haven't tested toughness)
K390: Agree with Cypress that it's great
A11: Similar to K390. I find that my A11 rusts more readily than my K390
Elmax: I like this one a lot - stainless, tough, and good edge retention. Not sure why it doesn't get more attention
PD #1: Also great. Similar to CPM Cru-wear (as most of you know)

D David Richardson thanks to your message a while back I ordered my PD#1 Mule while there was still time, and it arrived yesterday. I've done a little bit of reprofiling and regrinding, and will make a micarta handle soon. I can already tell from the size and feel of this knife (and people's testimony about PD#1) that it will end up a highly favored EDC medium fixed blade for me. Thanks again.

I didn’t see anything in the catalog or the reveal about new Mule models. Perhaps they’ll come out later?

Back