Multi tool trivia questions ?

Let's try something a little different. I got this idea from a paper my kid brought home from school. Below is a close-up photo of a portion of a multi-tool. But which tool is it? You guys tell me.
(I've got a few of these pictures ready to go, so I'm starting things off with a really easy one.)

closeup1.jpg

:) ......and as for you Mr. lonediver, turnabout is fair play: please wait 24 hours before replying.
Enjoy!
~Bob

JOOLIESEWS said:
Let's try something a little different. I got this idea from a paper my kid brought home from school. Below is a close-up photo of a portion of a multi-tool. But which tool is it? You guys tell me.
(I've got a few of these pictures ready to go, so I'm starting things off with a really easy one.)

closeup1.jpg

:) ......and as for you Mr. lonediver, turnabout is fair play: please wait 24 hours before replying.
Enjoy!
~Bob

Thats Ok Bob ,

This question is too easy . I am going to let you take the next turn to come up with something more chalenging . ;)

And we have two winners! Congrats JoeBW and dunc5, the photo is indeed of the Victorinox SwissTool. Here is the original picture for anyone interested:

pan1.jpg

(By the way, take a closer look at the close-up. Note how the piece of spring-steel has been slit, leaving little finger springs for each individual blade. Neat. The slits on my SwissTool measure less than .010" wide with a feeler gage. How on earth do they cut a slit that narrow in spring steel? Amazing.)

Anyhow, I'll be posting another "picture question."
~Bob

Thank you gentlemen, for correctly identifying the Gerber Recoil auto-plier; the only multitool that needs a SAFETY switch to prevent premature discharges! :p Here is the whole picture:

pan2.jpg

If you've never seen one, it's a bit.............different. Oh sure, the jaw-ejector thing is kinda neat, but not all that practicle. (IMO) especially given that over half of the width of the handles are used to house the ejector springs, taking up space that would be used for blades/files/etc. The result is a multitool that is "fatter" than most, yet only has two "blades" per handle. Clever, but not worth it.

Anyhow, how about another picture? Maybe a bit tougher than the last two?

Very well professor, although this next one will still probably only be childs play for you. Here it is:

closeup3.jpg

So which multitool is this? :confused:

JOOLIESEWS said:
Very well professor, although this next one will still probably only be childs play for you. Here it is:

closeup3.jpg

So which multitool is this? :confused:

I hate to admit it , but I am not recognizing it right away . I will have to go and rummage around a bit . :eek:

dunc5 said:
I would say it was a gerber 400 series compact sport .

dunc
I think you're right about it being a 400 series.After looking around a bit I think it's the 400 corkscrew.And that's the answer I stand on. :)

Bingo, it is indeed a Gerber Multi-Plier 400 Corkscrew.
http://www.gerberblades.com/products/view.php?model=8292
It's pretty much the same thing as the regular 400 Compact Sport, but Gerber dropped the scissors and added a corkscrew. Then they contoured the little zig-zag pattern along one handle edge, which conforms exactly to the helix of the corkscrew. Kinda neat.

pan33.jpg
pan3.jpg

So, anybody else besides lonediver or myself want to post the next question? If so, jump on in here!
~Bob

Okay, new question:
Many folding knives utilize a thumb stud for one handed opening. But how many multitools can you name that have a thumb stud on the knife blade?

Hint: I can think of a few from major makers, and a couple of obscure ones. Let's not bother with the cheap Chinese stuff.

~Bob

The Kershaw multi-tool is one.I think the gerber 700 is another.If you want to stretch the definition of multi-tool then the Gerber Urban Companion can be included.

Very good, tarmacky! The Kershaw A100 and Gerber 700 Urban Legend were definitely on my answer list. I was not familiar with Gerber Urban Companion, but checked it out on their website. How about we give it an "honorable mention?"

Here are links to the first two if anyone's interested:

http://www.kershawknives.com/knivesTools/multiTool.htm

http://www.gerberblades.com/products/view.php?model=8251

Okay, I've got a couple more multitools with thumb studs still on my list.
Hint: one of the tools has a thumb stud on it's knife blade AND a thumb stud on it's scissors.

Good luck!

Back