Recommendation? Multitool for automotive use

Hi, guys.

I have a couple of vintage cars running Weber DCOE carburetors. They can be a little fussy and often need minor adjustment.

2C877F92-FC72-4340-8F34-F028CCA44C14_zpsrtiyvauc.jpg

Can you recommend a good multitool to keep in the car for “quick and dirty” jobs, like turning an idle screw or twisting some safety wire?

The way I see it, I need really good flat and Phillips screwdrivers. No loose bits that can fall off and disappear into an engine bay. Some decent pliers. Plus the usual stuff, like a small blade.

any thoughts?

Try Fix-It-Sticks for the screwdriver/t-handle. But really for that kind of stuff I have a set of proper T-handles from Motion Pro.

You can twist safety wire with vice grips but it's not ideal. You can get 6" safety wire twist pliers and never look back. One can of .32 lock wire has lasted me over 30 years.

I have proper tools, including safety wire winders. Just want something in the glovebox to grab for minor things that come up on the fly.

For example, the other day I had to pull over and give a little nudge to the idle adjustment screw because the engine wasn’t fully warm and it kept stalling (this particular car has race carbs, which don’t have a choke or other means of enrichment when cold). Once the car warmed up, I had to jump out and drop the idle back down. I don’t really want to pull out a whole toolbox for this kind of thing.

I keep a Super Tool 300 in the car console.

But I also keep a loaded Ruger 380 auto LCP with two extra loaded magazines, and a tool bag of wrenches, drivers, sockets, a socket wrench, and a few other tools in the back...and jumper cables, and a tow strap, and a handsaw, and an E-tool, and some bungee cords, and some duct tape, and paracord, and a tarp, and a jar of peanut butter, and several bottles of water, and a Katadyn water filter, and...

You get the idea...

I was looking at the Leatherman Crunch. Figured locking pliers would be useful. But the price seems pretty steep at $110

Back