multitool's ?

What is a multitool to you and your needs ?

• You don't carry it as a knife, and never use the blade

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • You don't carry it as a knife, but sometimes use the blade

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • You carry it as a knife, and always use the blade

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • You carry it as a secondary knife in addition to its tools

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • You Don't carry it as a knife and pair it with a dedicated knife

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
For me I carry a multitool as a pair of pliers that has some tools attached to it. It's a tool that happens to have a knife blade that could be used if that's all I had available, but isn't carried as a cutting tool.
( a sak is a knife with tools, and is a multi-function knife )
I never carry a multitool as a knife, but I do occasionally use the micra blade for certain tasks like de-burring plastic...ect

Last edited:
I don't carry it as a knife and have reground the knife blade into a more useful tool

When there's need for some cutting
And having no other folder/fixed knife edc,
Chances are one would indeed use
the blade on any given form of multitool
being carried at that precise moment of need.
And that makes it rather a game of chance
If one just so happens to carry only a multi tools/s
with or without the plier and other blade tool features then
Or a combination to compliment the "edc combi package".
Either way, a knife in any form would have to suffice.
But in all wisdom, it's probably more useful to have
A multifunction tool with a knife in it
rather than just to edc a folding knife.
Just my 2 cents.

When there's need for some cutting
And having no other folder/fixed knife edc,
Chances are one would indeed use
the blade on any given form of multitool
being carried at that precise moment of need.
And that makes it rather a game of chance
If one just so happens to carry only a multi tools/s
with or without the plier and other blade tool features then
Or a combination to compliment the "edc combi package".
Either way, a knife in any form would have to suffice.
But in all wisdom, it's probably more useful to have
A multifunction tool with a knife in it
rather than just to edc a folding knife.
Just my 2 cents.
I agree, but am so glad there's no restriction on how many knives I can carry because multitools just don't feel right as a knife.
I'm going to edit the poll, because I forgot to note that a dedicated knife is paired with the mt.

Looks like we are dead even here. When I'm carrying a multi-tool, thats generally the main blade since I live under a "Lawful Excuse" system. The fact that I often have more than one knife is more related to my own brand of walking hoarder-ism than anything else (like many here carrying one knife really just means only one in the pants, but several others within easy access between backpack, lunch-kit, toolbox....), or the other knife is purpose specific. But I'm generally happy to use my MT for most tasks, and don't treat them like beater blades.

It really depends on how easy to deploy and ergonomic in use the knife is for me... Also how much cutting I'm planning on doing. My Gerber Curve I used the knife more often. When I changed to the LM Squirt, I use a separate dedicated knife.

I will use my LM Crater c33tx as a dedicated blade (and the skeletool w/ zip tie mod). All my SAK's I carry without a spare dedicated knife (although I rarely carry them).

I don't carry my Juice as a knife (my favorite MT so far), but would my Charge (although probably because I wouldn't want the added bulk of an additional knife with it). I also would not carry an additional knife with my Sog Para tool, but that one is not my favorite to deploy.

One of these days I will pick up a Wave, and am pretty sure I would not carry a separate knife with that.

can't stand these little wonky blades

7eS1Obk.jpg

Since I also carry a clipped Spydie, the blade on my Juice is just for backup or nasty stuff. I carry the Juice primarily for the pliers/tools. If for some reason I could only carry one or the other, I would just carry the Juice and give up the Spydie.

I should clarify that a Swiss army knife is just that, a pocket knife. Just like a scout knife, electricians inside, or US demo knife.
It's a life first and the extra functions are just a bonus.

I've carried the same Leatherman Classic since Sept 1994. It's been on my belt since that day. I very rarely use the blade, but can't say I've never used it (if I had NO other pocket knife it got used, otherwise I don't really even think of the Leatherman as a knife). The SAK or traditional pocket knife get the nod for cutting tasks.

Only time I use the knife blade on a multi-tool is on the off chance I don't have a knife "on me". That seldom happens. So the pliers for gripping something or cutting wire is 90% of the use of my multi-tools (pliers based). That's the reason I won't carry one on my belt unless I know I am going to need it and use it often that day.

I never really carry my multitools they are usually in a desk or in the vehicle but on occasion have but don't really use the blades on them unless I must as they are usually inferior to any knife you may be carrying.

For me I carry a multitool as a pair of pliers that has some tools attached to it. It's a tool that happens to have a knife blade that could be used if that's all I had available, but isn't carried as a cutting tool.
( a sak is a knife with tools, and is a multi-function knife )
I never carry a multitool as a knife, but I do occasionally use the micra blade for certain tasks like de-burring plastic...ect
Like you I don't carry it as a knife but for the pliers and other tools. Might use the blade once in a while but I also always have a dedicated knife, folder and/or fixed.

Last edited:
I don't always carry a MT but most days I do its a Leatherman Wave. I always carry a knife its like picking up my wallet in the morning. When I do carry a MT I mostly ise it for the tools ... pliers ... screw driver ... file ... leather punch ... if I use the blades it more often I use the serated blade for a task thats better suited for serations. But I never carry just a MT or I would use the blades alot more.

Interesting topic. I've had a few over the years but it took a while to find the "right" one for me, so I've only edc'd multitools (when working only) for the last few years and my thinking on them changed over that time.

At first it was a supplement to my edc (for many, many years) electrician's knife and pliers. Then I realized that the electrician's knife wasn't doing anything the multitool couldn't. After that was a couple years of multitool only carry. That changed a little less than a year ago when I discovered that a folder with a more secure grip could be handy for some of my cutting tasks (a respectable amount of blood was involved in this realization) and one hand opening and closing would sometimes be a bonus as well. Turned out I liked one handed operation and pocket clips quite a lot more than I had previously imagined possible.

That has led me to my current edc setup and my choice on the poll: multitool as a secondary knife in addition to its tools.
0606171520~2.jpg
Not today's pic, but it is (totally uncoincidentally as it's my current favorite combo) today's edc. The folder may vary a bit day to day but the multitool and pliers don't, at least until I find something that fits my needs better. The folder does most quick, daily cutting tasks with the effectively SAK blade of the Vic multitool used when it's enough of a better choice for the job at hand.

TL;DR: Choice #4.

Interesting topic. I've had a few over the years but it took a while to find the "right" one for me, so I've only edc'd multitools (when working only) for the last few years and my thinking on them changed over that time.

At first it was a supplement to my edc (for many, many years) electrician's knife and pliers. Then I realized that the electrician's knife wasn't doing anything the multitool couldn't. After that was a couple years of multitool only carry. That changed a little less than a year ago when I discovered that a folder with a more secure grip could be handy for some of my cutting tasks (a respectable amount of blood was involved in this realization) and one hand opening and closing would sometimes be a bonus as well. Turned out I liked one handed operation and pocket clips quite a lot more than I had previously imagined possible.

That has led me to my current edc setup and my choice on the poll: multitool as a secondary knife in addition to its tools.
View attachment 725493
Not today's pic, but it is (totally uncoincidentally as it's my current favorite combo) today's edc. The folder may vary a bit day to day but the multitool and pliers don't, at least until I find something that fits my needs better. The folder does most quick, daily cutting tasks with the effectively SAK blade of the Vic multitool used when it's enough of a better choice for the job at hand.

TL;DR: Choice #4.
Those pliers look pretty new, any chance Cee Tee CO is still around making pliers in the US ? Or are those just in good shape ?

Those pliers look pretty new, any chance Cee Tee CO is still around making pliers in the US ? Or are those just in good shape ?

I sure hope so. The more slender jawed CeeTees have been the pliers I've carried since I was a teenager. I bought a pair and a spare maybe 5 years ago after I broke the ones I'd been carrying and now lost the one of those that I'd been using earlier this year (remember to snap the retention strap on your plier holder before you get on a 4 wheeler) so I grabbed the extra pair.

I sure hope so. The more slender jawed CeeTees have been the pliers I've carried since I was a teenager. I bought a pair and a spare maybe 5 years ago after I broke the ones I'd been carrying and now lost the one of those that I'd been using earlier this year (remember to snap the retention strap on your plier holder before you get on a 4 wheeler) so I grabbed the extra pair.
I never realized that ceetee CO is a crescent trademark, everything crescent is made in china now.
Just a few weeks ago I went to the local hardware to get a decent pair of 6" slipjoint pliers which I realized that I didn't actually have ( have some random Chinese junk and some old Toyota pliers that suck ) .
The first pliers I saw were some Chinese made crescents for about 14$, and some " fiercely made in meadville PA " channellock # 526 for 9$, so it's obvious which I chose.
My grandpa trusted channellock and so do I, I've got his first gen champion dearment #420 channellocks from 1933 and they're still going strong.

I never realized that ceetee CO is a crescent trademark, everything crescent is made in china now.
Just a few weeks ago I went to the local hardware to get a decent pair of 6" slipjoint pliers which I realized that I didn't actually have ( have some random Chinese junk and some old Toyota pliers that suck ) .
The first pliers I saw were some Chinese made crescents for about 14$, and some " fiercely made in meadville PA " channellock # 526 for 9$, so it's obvious which I chose.
My grandpa trusted channellock and so do I, I've got his first gen champion dearment #420 channellocks from 1933 and they're still going strong.

Yeah, it's getting pretty tough to buy a decent hand tool anymore. Most farm and fleet stores anymore seem to carry cheap, off brand "tools" that fail spectacularly the third time you use them. The "disposable tool to do this one job" mentality. I try to do business locally, but if you don't stock decent tools, I look elsewhere.

Yeah, it's getting pretty tough to buy a decent hand tool anymore. Most farm and fleet stores anymore seem to carry cheap, off brand "tools" that fail spectacularly the third time you use them. The "disposable tool to do this one job" mentality. I try to do business locally, but if you don't stock decent tools, I look elsewhere.
It's getting to the point where it's pretty much best to just seek out used / vintage tools, but the problem with this is that the companies that are still making tools in America need to be supported to stay in business.
Channellock and Vaughan tools are inexpensive and available enough new, and are good quality but try to find a good US made ratchet or adjustable wrench new that doesn't cost am arm and a leg.

Back