• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Murray Carter Custom Neck Knife

toocool006

Gold Member
Hi y'all, got a little beauty up for sale today.

Murray Carter Custom Neck Knife (Hitachi White) - $160

Fair warning, really on the fence about letting this one go, so might withdraw it at any time. So pretty I haven’t been able to bring myself to use it. Hand-made early model from the Murray Carter shop - another user believes it was made by a senior apprentice rather than Mr. Carter himself, but the quality is unassailable in any event. Hitachi white with a stainless cladding (not sure what exact stainless steel) with desert ironwood handles and tapered tang. 4 1/2" long overall, about 2” edge. A few micro-scratches in the cladding from the kydex neck sheath (fits snug as hell).

Blade was ferric chloride etched to bring out the contrast in steels, and edge was hand sharpened by previous owner (the illustrious @Gary W. Graley - previous sales post for transparency: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sold-murray-carter-mini-neck-knife-in-ironwood-scales.1659644/) and not used since then (check out the slicey slicey video GG shot). Shoot any questions my way, and thanks for looking!

TZv2ypZ.jpg

biBNmu5.jpg

mCVO7gz.jpg

L70CYYU.jpg
4ZiHcYr.jpg

Last edited:
Quick note, this was not made by Murray himself, but by his most senior apprentice years ago. Still a great knife and a great price. I almost bought it from Gary myself, but just didn’t have the money at the time.

Quick note, this was not made by Murray himself, but by his most senior apprentice years ago. Still a great knife and a great price. I almost bought it from Gary myself, but just didn’t have the money at the time.

Thanks for the info - I'm adding it to the post listing. Out of curiosity, do you know which apprentice that may have been, or have any other history on this knife you could share? Thanks again!

Absolutely. My best guess is that it was almost surely made by Shamus Dotson. Because it doesn’t have a maker stamp I can’t be 100% positive. But it was either Shamus or Jamison Chopp. Murray’s muteki knives he made in Japan were stock removal, and this knife was forged. Also the steel like you said is a hitachi white #1 and the cladding is 410 stainless.

Back