Murray Carter "Muteki" Camp Knife

Blues

hovering overhead
Staff member
Super Mod
I decided to pay a visit to Larry Brahms of BladeArt.com to pick up a little something and shoot the bull. What I didn't have in mind was an impulse buy.

That is until I saw and felt this great camp knife by master smith Murray Carter.

Like Murray's other "Muteki" knives, this one is made using san mai construction, sandwiching Hitachi White #1 steel between outer layers of 410 stainless steel.

The distally tapered blade is 7" long and is ridiculously sharp as any who have handled a Carter knife can attest to.

What made this knife "necessary", however, was the feel and balance of the piece. It is amazing. Light, quick and addictive. I have rarely held a knife that feels so good in the hand.

The scales are cocobolo.

The knife comes with a nice, traditional style leather sheath.

Haven't had a chance to do more than admire and polish this wonderful blade, but thought some of you might appreciate seeing it.

Murray's website is down, but he may be contacted via email at:

m_carter-cutlery@pop06.odn.ne.jp

Attachments

• carter_muteki_camp.jpg
    carter_muteki_camp.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,522
Damn! Just when I think I have made all the right choices, have a knife to fill every need, someone goes and posts a pic like this and makes me acutely aware that my quest for knife Nirvana may indeed never be reached :( Is it any wonder we are called knife-NUTS? That is really a spectacular looking blade. Nice design, nice execution, nice material selection and an overall look that is very original. They say green is the color of jealousy, they are right :D

That is such an understated, functional design. I have an impulse to trade you out of it, but I'm thinking that knife has found a permanent home. Hope you get to use it some and let us know how that San Mai sandwich holds up.

Thanks for the great pic and congratulations!

--Will

Blues--

What do you think:

I'm struck by the similarities between your Carter Muteki and Walter Brend's #2 fighter, shown here on Les Robertson's website:

http://www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com/brend31.htm

Besides the obvious differences between fighter and camp knife design--no guards or swedge grind on the Carter--these two have a lot of great ideas in common. The ergonomic grip shape is almost identical on both, but Carter has enhanced the camp knife for chopping by slightly angling the handle. Both have extended choils that are almost identical, to allow for choking up on the blade, and the tips on both appear to be good and strong. Blade-to-handle ratio is also very similar.

Looks as if Brend were to design a camp knife, he might end up with a carbon copy of your Carter. Just another example of great minds thinking alike.

-w

Interesting observation, Will. Why doesn't that surprise me? ;)

Here's the knife Will was referencing above (courtesy of Robertson's Custom Cutlery):

Attachments

• brend.jpg
    brend.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,283
I took the opportunity to meet Murray Carter at the Blade Show the year that he received his Master Smith level and got to handle some of his knives as well. He knows sharp! He had a fellow with him, Japanese LeatherSmith, but he didn't speak any English but his work spoke for him! I had run out of money or I would have gotten something at that time, but as fortune would have it, Larry at BladeArt has a selection of Murray Carter's work and I took the advantage of what he had to offer...a nice small neck knife with Desert Ironwood scales seen here...I've not received it yet but know that it will be deadly sharp!

I eyed that fighter you have as well, good choice! I prefer a smaller blade that I can carry easier to work and around...;)

G2

At the 2000 Blade Show I "convinced" Murray that he needed to explore doing a neck knife. A few months later he came up with the following. I liked it so much, I had to have one that was a bit fancier. ;)

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

And these are good for kitchen work:

standard.jpg

Very nice Blues, do you find the edges too thin? As I know that they are very keen and the laminated steel is quite hard!

G2

I havent' used 'em hard, but I've seen Murray's and he does use his neck knife hard. His has been sharpened half way up the blade.

I wouldn't want to chop with them (except for the heavy "deba bocho" and maybe some with the camp knife), but for cutting, I haven't had any problems.

Originally posted by Blues ...has been sharpened half way up the blade... [/B]

Not sure what that means?
G2

I meant that when I saw Murray in June he had worn away half the blade from using (and resharpening)it for any and every task he could think of. And from looking at it, he was using it hard without babying it.

In speaking with him about it, he didn't let on that he thought he needed to bring the rockwell lower. Murray is definitely an advocate of high performance edges. My take is that if he felt that the edge suffered from being too hard, he'd take steps to address it.

On the other hand, I don't think he advocates chopping except with his stouter pieces. (Which is why I mentioned the deba bocho. He says you can use that one for throwing. The deba is the one with the maple handle in the kitchen knife photo above. It's a heavy duty piece.)

Thanks, now I understand, will see pretty soon how it cuts! Should be arriving tomorrow!!
G2

Shoot. Just when I think I've come to a lull in my knife habit, you have to go and post those kitchen knives. That is some seriously nice steel. I think I'm in love all over again. At least you could tell us those things are $500-700 apiece, so I can convince myself just to enjoy them vicariously?

Thanks--I think.

-w

Here's a reply I just got from Murray who's on his way out the door to head to Blade Show West:

"No matter what you do you can't break a laminated blade of mine, so why don't you go ahead and test the knife by starting with easy tasks and continuing with more difficult tasks until the edge fails. I am betting that you will be pleasantly surprised and I can always refinish the blade for you."

Obviously, Murray has confused me with fellow Canadian Cliff Stamp. ;)

Oh, and Will...

I paid $300 for those five knives shipped!!!! ;)

You'll never be sorry if you decide to get 'em.

Hey Gary,

I just got the drop point version of the one you are waiting for, and I absolutely love it. Feels great in the hand and works real nice too!

I was going to get a couple of Murray's kitchen knives at the Blade show last year and by the time I got around to going back to get them, they were gone. I will be getting some in the future for sure.

Originally posted by Blues
I paid $300 for those five knives shipped!!!!

Good news/bad news. Great price, but now no excuse not to buy a bundle of 'em. Especially with Murray's words about his unbreakable laminate.

Thanks again.

-w

UPS man made a stop at the Graley household today and a Murray Carter was delivered....quite nice! You were right sirs!

G2

Back