Mushroomed Spiller

I picked this Spiller up from eBay a few weeks back, I think it was $16.00 including shipping. It’s stamped 4 1/2 actual weight 4 lbs 5oz. The year stamp is 1934(hard to see). The mushrooming is bad but the bit and eye are in good shape so I figured I would try to save it. I will post after pics, any guess how much weight it will loose?

I picked this Spiller up from eBay a few weeks back, I think it was $16.00 including shipping. It’s stamped 4 1/2 actual weight 4 lbs 5oz. The year stamp is 1934(hard to see). The mushrooming is bad but the bit and eye are in good shape so I figured I would try to save it. I will post after pics, any guess how much weight it will loose?

.8oz is my guess. Maybe .7oz if you leave the stamp. Good on you for saving it. At that low of a price you can't go wrong. Look forward to seeing it all fixed up man!

Maine20,that's a classy old axe.
I've not a remotest idea as to weight loss.
I'd be interested to hear your possible solution to the issues...Those fissures running back from mushroom are pretty bad...:(
Sometimes things of this sort are Real hard to get to the bottom of,steel can be ruined considerable way around the visible crack.
But there's all kinds of things one Can do,i'm sure you'll get it done,and all the very best wishes for success!

Maine20,that's a classy old axe.
I've not a remotest idea as to weight loss.
I'd be interested to hear your possible solution to the issues...Those fissures running back from mushroom are pretty bad...:(
Sometimes things of this sort are Real hard to get to the bottom of,steel can be ruined considerable way around the visible crack.
But there's all kinds of things one Can do,i'm sure you'll get it done,and all the very best wishes for success!
Most of the cracks disappeared when I ground the mushrooming, but who knows how much I can’t see... I’m going to hang it and hope for the best. Its going to hang on the wall most of the time anyway, but if it seams solid I would like to split with it a bit...we’ll see!

That is a fantastic job!! Really good work. I have been experimenting with good results at peening mushrooming back for the most part and filing only what could not be moved back. Hey, nothing to lose but more metal, right? I am using a piece of RR rail and a 20oz ball peen hammer. I am choking up and using no more than a medium swing to move the metal slowly. I posted some pics in a recent thread. hard for me to show but a little experimenting cannot hurt.
Bill

Thanks! I was wondering if taking 2oz off the pole would make it front heavy. It didn’t, the balance is perfect. I was also worried that setting the head and wedge would expose some unseen damage/cracks from past abuse, but so far so good.

You have good taste in axes and the issue of head balance is one often overlooked. Many heads ae bit heavy and one reason I wanted to try the peening in the first place to save poll weight. E&S is my favorite brand, I have a few and always on the watch for more.
Bill

Well done man, looks fantastic! Somebody really beat the snots outta that ol' axe. Love it! The helve you made is sweet too. :D

Thanks! It definitely took a heck of a beating, I can’t believe the eye didn’t get deformed.
My thoughts exactly when I saw the original pics. I have a 1910 Douglas that was very lightly hammered compared to yours and it bent the entire head out of straight. But, glad yours survived and you did a nice job with it.

I suspect a lot of the eye deformations we see are the result of "wedge on a stick" or "chisel on a stick" use. Place the bit on a block of wood and beat on the poll with a heavy hammer. To be fair, I have a Fiskars hatchet I use this way for cleaning up notches in timbers but the construction of the steel wrapped in plastic does not allow for a weak point at the traditional eye wall.
I want to try to rescue of a couple of bulged axes to see if I can get them straight.

Bill

Reactions: A17
I want to try to rescue of a couple of bulged axes to see if I can get them straight.

Bill
I've fixed a few axes with bulged eyes, I'll either clamp them up in my big bench vise and use a cheater bar to squeeze them into shape or I'll get my older brother and a sledge hammer. I hold the head still and he does the whacking.

Back