Muskrat Pattern

Just picked up a Case Muskrat. What are your thoughts on this pattern? and who has them?
FApjuCC.jpg

My thoughts?
Personally, I've never been drawn to a knife with two identical blades.
I don't care for the "Congress" pattern because of the two sheepsfoot blades, either ... well ... that and I found the Congress pattern uncomfortable in the hand the one time I tried one.

Just leaves more for those that do like 'em. :)

Love them. Case does a good job on their muskrats, just wish they were single spring. Case used to make a mini muskrat that was a great pocket knife around 3.5 inches long

This is a users pattern. Trappers love them for skinning. It's a great small game slip joint.

Geoff

I am not a fan of California clip blades so that usually puts me out of the running for this pattern, but I do like the modified version that includes a sheepsfoot blade.

I don’t care much for the duplicate blades, but the RR Improved Muskrat has a useful combination.
Edit: It looks like Ernie posted while I was hunting up my photos. These are a little thin on the ground now. Glad I bought a duplicate.

3225DF11-BC2D-4C5D-B401-D43AFD8E92FD.jpeg E32006FF-8A4C-4734-B2C6-5FD8B7918658.jpeg

Not my favorite pattetns. The only muskrat I have is a Bear & Son. The only reason I still have it is to serve as an example of a poorly made knife.

Last edited:
Love em! I have an Old Timer 77 and 2 Case Muskrats, one chestnut bone and the other in Whiskey bone. All are carbon steel.

Nice slim and light carry. I have used one all fall to clean squirrels. Even used it to field dress a whitetail last week.

Definitely did not think I would like the pattern, but I bought a RR in strawberry bone to check it out and found I liked the size and feel in my hand. Then I found a nice S&M improved 'rat in fire oak bone that was so pretty I had to have it (the Wharncliffe blade helped with the decision). Then along came this deep canyon jigged Calypso bone Case... I guess I like the pattern more than I thought I would. :cool:

48718937907_10401fbb98_b.jpg

Here is a nice collector grade muskrat. I came across this one on a lucky day, it's not something I normally look for but will pick up certain ones from schrade of old should they present themselves.

Strangely it has an improved muskrat etch but it is no such thing, it's only a regular muskrat.

IMG_6018.jpg IMG_6019.jpg

:)--I've got one of the Lansky1 inspired Ratcliffe mods in my pocket right now. One of my favorites!--KV

Well this started out as a Case Muskrat. I do love the shape of that clip but unless I am skinning fur, two is redundant. A little improvement had to be made...
Redid the dye job and clipped the clip. Been my daily driver since I first modded it a year or so ago.

4iFec3U.jpg

Back