Must have spydercos

Caly 3.5 spyderco best blade to handed ratio . Also excellent fit and finish with ZDP-189 Steel. Other knives are great but Caly3.5 in my opinion is spyderc best edc knife .

I have purchased over 120 "must have" Spydercos but, if I were to put together a top 10 list of currently available models they would include, in no particular order (just as they occur to me) the:

1) Military G10
2) Police 4
3) Native Chief
4) Endura 4
5) Manix 2
6) Advocate
7) Gayle Bradley 2
8) Autonomy 2
9) Yojimbo 2
10) ParaMilitary 2

This lists reflects my bias/preference for longer blades, flippers, autos and SD knives. So, they may not reflect the OP's or anyone else's preferences but all of them (except for the newly released Native Chief and also fairly new and automatic Autonomy 2) are knives that have been made/sold by Spyderco for many years which IMO are essential for any Spyderco collection.

I own a version of all of them and you can't miss buying any of them.

Last edited:
I have purchased over 120 "must have" Spydercos but, if I were to put together a top 10 list of currently available models they would include, in no particular order (just as they occur to me):

1) Military G10
2) Police 4
3) Native Chief
4) Endura 4
5) Manix 2
6) Advocate
7) Gayle Bradley 2
8) Autonomy 2
9) Yojimbo 2
10) ParaMilitary 2

This lists reflects my bias/preference for longer blades, flippers and SD knives. So, they may not reflect the OP's or anyone else's preferences but all of them (except for the newly released Native Chief and also fairly new and automatic Autonomy 2) are knives that have been made/sold by Spyderco for many years and are essential to any Spyderco collection. You can't miss buying any of them.
That is a great list. I’m in.

The SpydieChef is definitely my favorite. I haven't tried a Kapara yet, but that seems like it would be a great alternative.

The Chaparral in CF/G-10 is one of my favorite small knives. Also the Sage 5, as a scaled-up Chaparral with a compression lock, is a great EDC choice. The Ladybug makes a nice keychain knife. I tend to like great slicers, so that biases my opinion.

I’ll chime in.
One of the Spydies that most impressed me is the serrated edge Pacific Salt. If you need something that can resist the elements and take a beating, this is the knife.

While hard to find, the other Spydie I’ve been super impressed with is the Spydiechef. Yes, I know CRK is supplying your Ti scale fix, but dang it’s a great knife. Use it, put it away wet if you’d like, no big deal.

A PM2 trial is almost obligatory for a knife guy, even though mine only comes out when I expect to use it hard (doesn’t get much carry otherwise). It’s the best application of the compression lock and there is crossover with the “feel” of a Tenacious, at least to a point.

The Native 5 LW is another favorite; I’ve missed it ever since giving it to my son. IMO there’s something quintessentially Spyderco about it, to me even more so than the Delica.

Without over thinking it, my 10 would be:
1) PM2
2) Military
3) One of the Manix family. My favorite is still the original large Manix.
4) Shaman
5) Chinook - my favorite is the gen 3
6) Techno - preferably the original
7) Caly 3.5 - my favorite representative of the whole family of EDC leaf-shape blades
Need to include a couple of lightweights, and my preferences would be -
8) Police 4 lt
9) PM3 lt
If I can include a fixed blade, (10) would be the Street Bowie. If not, the a Salt series folder - perhaps a serrated Tasman.

However, that's only including knives that are readily available (at least in some form). If we can include models that aren't around any more, then some of my favorites are:
Superhawk
K2
Dyad - variants were produced in 4 different sizes, the full size one is heavy, but I wish they'd re-introduce a lightweight of the next size down, which was about the size of a Delica.
Civilian
Original Lil Temperance (the newer one doesn't do it for me at all)

I appriecate the suggestions. Funny thing is i thought getting back into knives would be cheaper than guns. Lol. I have quite a list of ones to try out

Pm2 is high on my list. Im liking the blue g10 s110v and maybe the satin blade with black g10 . Im going to make a drive to see how they feel in hand first

So i took the drive and held various models . found out the manix2 feels absolutely steller in my hand . The problem is when i tried to unlock and close it one handed . It kept slipping across the palm of my hand . Kinda upsetting actually . However the para3 felt amazing and everyrhing works. The pm2 also felt great . So theyre both going to be added to my growing collection . Problem now is what steels.
The polestar also was nice but liking the tenacious everyday for 7 years it just felt extremely familair
Again i appriecate every suggestion

DLC Lil Native compression lock
Native Chief
Para 3 Lightweight
Dragonfly 2 Emerson Opener
Dragonfly 2 Hawkbill Serrated

Problem now is what steels.

Spyderco seems to do all their steels well. Unless there is one in particular you’ve been interested in trying, just pick the scales you like best.

It might sound shallow, but I’ll stand by it.

The next Spydie on my list that's a must have is the Police 4, I've been liking longer blades more :)

I love the Spyderco Slipjoints, (slipits) and they are pretty Canada regulation friendly. I've got a Roadie and Pingo that see a lot of carry, and am constantly tempted by a UKPK or Urban.
Also lots of love for the Native5, only knife I sold and rebought. (sold a standard, bought a salt since I live next to the ocean and fish in it)
Not to forget about my favorite zipper pull, H1 Manbug, and my Caribbean Sheepsfoot that serves only to make me happy. In Australia I know the feeling of the price pinch and more restrictive regulations, and that's why I love Spyderco, Sal and Eric make sure none of us are fully left out, they make something almost anyone can carry.

I've had a lot of Spyderco's over the past twenty years. These are the ones that have risen to the top for me:

Tier 1
1. PM2
2. Yojimbo 2
3. Ikuchi
4. Shaman (prefer the CF Sprint)
5. Military

Tier 2
6. Caly 3.5 - used to be a Tier 1 knife, just got bored of mid-back locks that's all. Otherwise still an excellent EDC.
7. Manix 2 - I go back and forth on this. Excellent blade but carries wide and all that jimping sometimes put me off.
8. Advocate
9. Gayle Bradley 2

Preferred steels are CPM 20CV/M390/CTS 201P and Cruwear. Also like CPM S35VN and M4.

Last edited:
Spyderco has an unusually large selection of blade steel & handle material choices in each model, and without going down that rabbit hole, the Spydercos that best suit my particular needs are:
Manix 2
IMG_0776-X3.jpg

PM2
IMG_0687-X3.jpg

And Native 5
IMG_0690-X3.jpg

Spyderco seems to do all their steels well. Unless there is one in particular you’ve been interested in trying, just pick the scales you like best.

It might sound shallow, but I’ll stand by it.
That’s generally my approach too. My collection is largely based around CF scales so I have a lot of S90V, although I tend to jump on sprints/exclusives that offer CF with something different.

Delica ZDP-189
Native Lightweight S110V
Native Salt(LC200N)

Back