My 1 year anniversary sheath

This is one I made for myself to celebrate one full year since I started working with leather. It's the largest knife sheath I've made.
It's a hair under 14" long and 2-3/4" wide at the mouth. Veg tan lined front and back panels as well as the belt loop. A big PITA to hand stitch. 90 total. It's a beast of a sheath, and should serve me well for the rest of my life.
QtTY7Gu.jpg

F65X2hm.jpg

37F0wtL.jpg

Thant's incredible! Top notch work right there, I like how you spaced the belt loop out from the handle. What is the material that on the front just below the handle? I also have been noticing folks dye the edge instead of using edge kote, is there a reason or do you prefer the color match?

Thant's incredible! Top notch work right there, I like how you spaced the belt loop out from the handle. What is the material that on the front just below the handle? I also have been noticing folks dye the edge instead of using edge kote, is there a reason or do you prefer the color match?
Thank you. I appreciate the compliment. The black dyed piece at the top (chevron) is a 3oz. piece of veg tan which has been tooled, glued, and stitched at the bottom with #69 thread. This is a decorative embellishment that Paul Long, "Sheathmaker" on this forum has taken to the highest level of decorative sheath building. Please check out his work.
I've never used edge kote or any other edge dressing. For me, the edge dressings makes the edges look fake. I just highly sand the edges, dye, and burnish the wet edge with a piece of denim by hand. It's just my preference to keep the entire sheath (leather) as natural as possible including the color match. Sometimes I dye my brown sheath edges with black dye for a little variation.

You need to get your 15-91 fired up so we can see some of your inlays !!!!!!!!!!!!
You are right about that! That type of sheath is next on my list. If I wasn't in the thick of what us accountant-types call "busy season" I'd have already had something to show.

Oh wow, that is amazing. 1 year? I was still using a piece of gutter covering as a template for a ghetto basket weave at one year. That is amazing work.

That's a BK-5 under that lovely leather work I believe? Amazing knives, it was a sad thing to read that they retired the 5 and 15. Some @Tommythewho cocobolo scales would look amazing with your sheath work.

Thanks Grog. I appreciate it. Yes, it's a 5. The 5 and the 15 are my favorite and most used BK's.

I would have never known seeing your current sheaths, especially what you're doing now with the CPK's. You're knocking it out of the park with your tooling and cool designs. I enjoy seeing your work every time someone posts their new sheath on that sub-forum.

Thanks for the heads up with Tommythewho. I'll look into those scales.

Thanks I was surprised at how many hollows were in the grinding under their original coating.

Don't know the customer had painted over the coating with black paint and over the handle with brown. He didn't like the makers mark that was on the blade.

Back