My 2 HI WW2's 1 horn 1 wood and a "new" old one

I already have 2 HI WW2's and I just picked this older khukuri up tonight at a local auction.

Here's a shot of my two WW2 HI's to keep it on topic.

khukuriHIWW2.jpg

And here's some of my new old kukri

khukuri%20001.jpg

khukuri%20002.jpg

khukuri%20003.jpg

khukuri%20004.jpg

I think I got a great deal for $17.50 :) and it appears to be pretty well made.

What do you guys think the handle is made of??? bone?

What style does it look like to you?

How old do you think it is???
Thanks

Can't answer most your questions except that I think you got a great deal and that it really appears to be well made (and well kept) Congrats! :)

You got a great deal for 17.50 !

The handle appears to be bone with water buffalo insert below the buttcap. If the bolster is metal it is probably painted black, if its not metal then chances are it's water buffalo too. It could be Nepali, but is more likely Indian in manufacture. By the looks of things the sheath and Karda are probably not original to the kukri, but they could be. It looks to have some age to it so i would say that it could be made anywhere from 1940-50's to the late 1970's
Blade is very well crafted by the looks of the chirra and hopefully it is hardened in the sweet spot (belly of the blade). It appears to be somewhat of a longleaf or maybe WWII pattern It could be well made tourist model, maybe an officers special order model. But definately made for someone who had more money than your average villager. Definately worth more than you paid for it.

If you want to know exactly what it is, Spiraltwista or Berkely can probably tell you. You will get a faster answer if you post it over at IKRHS.com .

Thanks for the info!

Here is a close up of the bolster..it appears to be steel to me.

khukuri 010.jpg

Yes, there were deals to be had at the auction last night.
I was prepared to go higher for the knife.

My friend bought a S&W Co2 pellet pistol and a real nice old pocket knife for $2.50 each. If it wasnt him bidding, I would of jumped all over them.

First of all CowCop welcome to the HI Forums!!!:thumbup: :D

CowCop it appears you most definitely snagged a really nice kukri and for one killer of a price at that!!!:thumbup: :cool: Kinda makes me wonder if you kissed the person you got it from after completing the deal***... :p ;)

The best I can tell is the handle is indeed bone, and very well kept as well if there's not any cracks or dings I can't see? I wish you had also put up a closeup pic of the karda so we could've maybe made out more detail. From the karda's handle's appearance I'm thinking it might be bone as well, but won't swear to it.

As to the style it's a very nice Dui Chiarra, which means it has, "Two Fullers." The bolster definitely appears to be steel and I'm wondering if the buttcap may not be the same although it's impossible to hazard a guess from the current pic, it could be brass or copper as well.
I'm gonna stick my neck out here and do something I haven't done before and that's to say; it appears to be a genuine Nepalese kukri that I'd guess was made in the '40s or '50s...

In order to go any further some more pics would be very helpful... A closeup of the scabbard front and back... likewise of the buttcap and one straight on of the buttcap to see if there's a keeper and if the tangs been peened over.:thumbup: :cool: :D

*** Just tzn. :)

OK..Here are some more pics...the sheath is kind of out of focus on a couple shots..it is not in that great of shape.

The little knife handle looks like mahogany to me.

Thanks for any info

khukuri%20014.jpg

khukuri%20015.jpg

khukuri%20017.jpg

khukuri%20018.jpg

khukuri%20019.jpg

khukuri%20026.jpg

khukuri%20030.jpg

Props to Karda & Yvsa for knowing so much. Forumites get smarter by osmosis cuz those two are here.....

Props to Karda & Yvsa for knowing so much. Forumites get smarter by osmosis cuz those two are here.....

Thanks for that comment UD, But i'm not nearly as knowledgable as Yvsa or many others here, I am learning though. :D

Thanks for that comment UD, But i'm not nearly as knowledgable as Yvsa or many others here, I am learning though. :D

I'll add my thanks as well, but compared to some of the guys such as Spiral and Berkely I'm just a novice.:eek: :)

OK..Here are some more pics...the sheath is kind of out of focus on a couple shots..it is not in that great of shape.

The little knife handle looks like mahogany to me.

Thanks for any info

khukuri%20026.jpg

Thanks CowCop.:)

I cut most of the pics because I didn't want to use that much room unnecessarily.

This pic has really got me curious and I sure wish I could see this old khukuri in person... It appears that dark material between the handle proper and the brass buttcap is buffalo horn, but I'm thinking it could/might be steel...:)

This pic of the top of the buttcap also has me puzzled... I'm not sure but it appears the small keeper is steel because of the color, looks sorta rusty...
I'm also not real sure if that's the tang that's been peened over the keeper holding everything in place or if it's a nail hammered in the end...:confused:
I'm thinking maybe a straight on pic might help to sort it out especially if there was something close by like a coin to better determine the scale of things...:thumbup:

khukuri%20015.jpg

I agree about the handle on the karda being wood, but it's more likely to be either Saatisal, a type of Nepalese Oak IINM, Nepalese Rosewood or whatever as all sorts of woods are used for handles.

This pic of the top of the scabbard along with the pic of the back tells us that besides the karda that's still with the set there was also a chakma/chakmak and a small flat pouch that was used to hold a bit of tinder and a small piece of flint so as to have something to make a fire with.
That's the big reason having the original scabbard is such a big deal because it tells so much about the khukuri.
It would've been really nice if the original frog had been with it but they're usually one of the first things to go.:(

I'll see if I can scare Spiral and Berk up and point them in this direction so they can correct anything I may be wrong about and enlighten us about what is what.:thumbup: ;)

khukuri%20019.jpg

Thanks for including me among the experts, but I deny the allegation and the alligator.;)
I have an opinion, but as the saying goes, everybody has one.
FWIW, here's my version of the type - snagged on the internet auction site we all love to hate for 20 bucks plus shipping. I thought then, and still do, it was one of the best buys I ever made.
8x8qk1.jpg

The grip is bone, with a horn spacer. As you can see, this one comes with a fancy wooden scabbard with classic Nepalese designs. I think the blade is quite good, but the handle is more for show than go.
5cng20.jpg

IMO, made at least forty or fifty years ago. That was before Nepal had a tourist industry to speak of , so perhaps these were for people who appreciated quality but didn't have to use a kukri to do their own heavy work. In other words, Nepalese of some substance in their locality who wore them as part of their traditional dress, rather than carrying primarily as a weapon or tool of daily use. That these may have been sold to tourists as more Westerners came bringing money is certainly a possibility. I have never been to Nepal, and wasn't present when this one was made. That's my educated guess about its age and origin. So take what I say with several grains of salt, as well as half a lime and a shot of tequila.:p
Berk

Wow...they look almost like a set.

I too was thrilled to get mine for under $20.

That same night a "junk" chrome bladed one with some colored glass/stones on the sheath went for more then mine.
I was very happy they put that on up first. People like the bling I guess.

I will post the requested pics Sunday sometime,

Thank you all for the great info!!!

Back