My all time favorite folder

r redden

Gold Member
First those of you that know me know I am primarily a slipjoint collector I have around 200 however I do like folders and fixed blades as well and have a few of both. Over the years I have or still own a lot of different of folders such as Sebenza's to Gerbers, Hinderer to Mtec a gift from grand kids even I'm not stupid enough to buy anything Mtec.
Anyway two or three years ago I bought a Blur with an Elmax blade for a little more than $100 it was an SFO I don't remember who the dealer was but I fell in love with that knife. After all that I have bought and sold I still have that Blur and carry it a lot. The Elmax is a bit of a bear to sharpen if dull but the edge retention is remarkable especially compared to the 1095 carbon and 440 stainless I'm used to in slippies.
What your all time favorite folders and I for one would love to see some pictures

nw9j3u9.jpg

1D9OwK6.jpg

I have a few favorites I suppose. I nearly chose my CruWear Manix 2, as it is an amazing knife, but I feel like I have to go with my mini Ritter. I carry it more than any other folder. It cuts like a dream, and I have nothing but good experiences with M390. One of the biggest factors is the size, if the Manix was smaller I probably would have chosen it, some days you just want something comfortable to carry around. That’s where the mini Ritter shines. More than enough blade for any of my usual tasks, yet small and light enough that I hardly notice it in my pocket.

E0MEe3U.jpg

Plus it’s orange.. Orange knives rules!

Y3J2Y8m.jpg

The Blur is nice, but there are two things I really dislike about it: the assist, and the recurved blade.

Kershaw has proven it can make nice unassisted folders, even in their budget range. What's the deal with the continued obsession with the speed safe?

jlt2iqS.jpg

Massdrop x Laconico Keen. Have had the purple one since October or November. Despite getting into reviews and rotating a lot, this one has still logged a lot of use at work. It’s easily my most carried knife when I’m not carrying a review piece, especially if you count the days when I’m carrying my other Keen.

Currently at 15dps. Since last being stropped, I’m (rounding down to) around 70 zip ties, 120 feet of cardboard, and 50 or so plastic banding straps. It has also...

SUQBt2W.jpg

...taken a chip near the tip, probably from stabbing into a shipper I was breaking down and finding a steel brace.

So it goes.

It’s for using.

I'm sure liking and agreeing with the knives I am seeing here.

Kershaw !
Hahaha,
Don't take that the wrong way.
I have spent my knife life ignoring Kershaw and the last six months or less I have gotten inexorably drawn into an orbit of Kershaw.
The first time I ever saw that texture on the Blur like you have I was very strongly drawn to it. Haven't bought one yet (it's just a matter of time).

Then my coworker showed me his Kershaw Chill. As soon as I saw the Kershaw logo I went all knife snobby and reluctantly took it in hand.
. . . oh . . . wait . . . this is cool . . . but I can't think about that now . . . here take it back.

Weeks later I couldn't get it out of my mind and one dark and stormy night found myself clicking the Buy Button .
I've had it for months now and I love the thing. (not my "All Time Fave" but definitely taught me about how good dumb O' Kershaw could be.
. . . OK leaving orbit now . . . cruising at 1.5 light years per hour out into limitless space on our way to . . .
on our way to . . .
course veering, I can't control 'er captain . . .
Kershaw Strobe on the view plate ! ! !
Must . . . buy . . . knife . . .
collision averted . . . pocket book under control.

The blasted Kershaw Strobe is excellent, damb it . . . ! . . . and it only cost me $17 . . . what's wrong with me ! ? ! ? or in the words of Jim Carry : " What's The Deal ? ? ? ? ".
Sure is hard to be a knife snob with all this weirdness going on.

Now you are waving the Blur at me . . . again . . . just when I thought I was safely out of the gravitational influence of Planet Kershaw. :( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Of course my all time favorite folder is one of my highly modded grails . . . depends on the day :
Full flat ground Cold Steel Ti Lite IV CTS-XHP
or
Brand Zinker Urban Trapper with Cold Steel's KreyEx textured "rubber" scales VG-10 blade.
If you haven't seen them so many times here that you want to strangle me let me know and I'll post links. Seriously though I must spare the regulars so no photos at this point.

Put a billet of M4 on the ground, stack up those two knives, add an axis lock for flavor and jump on it . . . then you would have THEEEEEEeeeeeee knife for me.
hahahaha . . . or maybe I just haven't stumbled across the right Kershaw yet.

Oh; I didn't answer what stock off the shelf folder.
that is so hard to answer with the words Ritter and Axis-Lock out there floating around but I would have to truthfully answer that I feel there isn't a prybar long enough to get the Para2 M4 out of my cold dead hand.

Hi Randy, that's saying a lot, you have some beautiful knives. Blurs are terrific - I have one that sees occasional hard use.

I'd have a hard time settling on one, so here is an older pic of five that I don't see myself parting from. Don't make me say "sm...a..ll......se.....b.....en......za".

L-R: GEC 15 modified beer scout from Bob "BigBiscuit", GEC 61, Star-Tac, Small Sebenza, GEC 78.

IMG_2226.jpg

I've asked my wife to bury (cremate?) me with my Spyderco Military M390... just because....
This is dedication and commitment that sets the standard. Kudos!

By comparison, I’m leaving my knives to be divvied out between my kids and grandchildren--just to leave remembrances of what a PITA I always was.
When they find out what the Thorburns and 1/10 CRK LE’s are and are worth, they’ll think less horribly of me. If not, I doubt I’ll much care.

Last edited:
Randy, feels weird to see you in another area of the town here!

I love my traditionals, but I have a couple Moderns I enjoy. Of course, the sebenzas. And a mnandi. I also have a xm18 that's a beast. But my all time non traditional favorite right now is this beauty. I almist always have it (a sebenza before it arrived) and a traditional on me.
197297D3-90F5-4CC9-B308-52ADEE418DE3.jpeg

Simple old Sebenza 21 for me...available in many options to suit the occasion. Large, small, inlay options & damascus blades...
Easy to sharpen, and my favourite thing is just crank down on the pivot screw with no worries about adjustments...Ergonomics just work for me, or I have gotten so used to it.
Simple, reliable knife, excellent customer service & warranty.

qv8664W.jpg

As3q3cJ.jpg

HTKxPje.jpg

4rKdAB6.jpg

RyV5nRh.jpg

Last edited:
sorry no pic but I do keep going back to my lionsteel pm4 and if I could find one in CF that would always be in my pocket.

Back