My answer to the E2DL, Fenix steps it up!

Whoa ... that's a pretty awesome light :thumbup:

I'm guessing it's not for EDC

Thats a sweet looking light. Really like the twisting switch for the different light levels. I would prefer it to be a bit smaller but thats a personal preference.

Moved to G&G.

Nice, but for not much more you could have a E2DL. I like fenix there good lights but there's nothing like a surefire.

Nice, but for not much more you could have a E2DL. I like fenix there good lights but there's nothing like a surefire.

dunno man, all the levels of output, the lowest which I would use most at 115 hours for 9 lumens, few.
The only thing is the 3 cell's, but I could get use to it.

That's one of the things that I never really liked about the fenix's, all those modes. I never found a use for half of them and didn't like UI. I have a T1 but its to top heavy and the E2DL beats it in brightness and function. The E2DL is also very light and compact something that the TA30 doesn't look to be. Its over 63mm longer and 3 ounces heavier, it might make a better defence tool but that's a question for another thread.

I spoiled myself from the start by buying surfire's, it just makes all other lights look not as good. It's just like knives always looking for the best one and surefire just happens the "one" of flashlights.

Does Fenix rate there lumens the same way? They might not. Also I like their keychain lights, but I had one of their bigger ones not turn on for no apparent reason. It stays in the back of my truck right next to my Pentagon and E1e. After a battery change, it still didnt work. Kinda soured me on being able to count on them. I hear so many good things about them though, I have to figure I got a lemon... but I always figure, why risk it?

Not any more, Fenix are far superior, especially in LED life, plus a lot cheaper. One of those items you are paying for the name because they were featured on CSI.

Fonly, nice find. Personally, it's a little too big to EDC, but I would definitely make it part of a BOB, or primary light for the car. I EDC a NiteCore Extreme Infinity, which is rated at 200 lumens max output. It fits in the palm of my hand, and clips in the front pocket nicely. I forget it's there sometime.

Not any more, Fenix are far superior, especially in LED life, plus a lot cheaper. One of those items you are paying for the name because they were featured on CSI.

How do you figure that they are superior? Surefire uses Cree's too.

Sorry but I have had surefire's sence before CSI. :p

How do you figure that they are superior? Surefire uses Cree's too.

Sorry but I have had surefire's sence before CSI. :p

Same here. At home I have & use Fenix (& others, including a NovaTac 120T), but for work, it's a Surefire.

I agree there might be some people who buy a Surefire because they saw it on a TV show or movie, however, there are some of us that use/need a light everyday/night & that's why we'll pay a little more for it.

However, I will admit that I haven't had a Fenix nearly as long as a Surefire light. I had one that I used for work 3-4 days per week, for over 10 yrs. Of course I had to replace the bulb several time & the rechargable battery once, I believe.

Again, I'm not knocking the Fenix, but I think what "knifenut1013" is trying to say is that for a little more, you can have a Surefire & that that little bit extra quality can be important.

oh here we go again, the Surefire VS Fenix debate. The Surefire fanboys poopoo the fenix, the fenix Fanboys poopoo the surefires...on and on and on and on and on and on.

I own both (variety of models) and they are both TOP NOTCH HIGH QUALITY products.

any warranty i have needed on both brands (tail switch contacts, o rings etc) has been both prompt and FREE. Excellent customer service from both.

As for the New fenix light Fonly listed, it was designed as an EDC light, it fits in a pants pocket or shirt pocket just like a surefire L2 or similar sized EDC light. have'nt had a chance to get one yet, but when the local dealer stocks them i'll do a review.

Currently i'm EDC'ing a Fenix P1D-CE, TK11, SureFire L2 Digital Lumamax, Pelican LAPD 7060, and a SureFire 8AX Commander. Looking to add a Surefire M3, M4 and a M10 and a Fenix TK40 to the EDC list. I like choosing a different light for different lighting needs thruout the day.

Bump for review.

As you can see by the pic, I'm not a collector of fine flashlights. The bug has just begun to bite and I can see, this is going to be addictive.

I ordered a TA30 soon after it became available, (thanks to Fonly - I should stay out of the G&G forum :p).

In honesty, I didn't reall look at the dimentions on this one. I thought it would be slightly larger than a 2 AA Maglight or Inova X5 or T3. Obviously, I was wrong.

It comes in closer to the Inova T4 in size. Length is a hair under 8" overall.

Grip and balance are better than expected. Balance point is just about dead center. Due to the length, that makes it a bit weight-forward when in use. Not uncomfortable, just noticeable.

Knives152.jpg

On its lowest setting, it smokes my 2 AA Mag with the NiteIze 3 LED conversion and the 5 LED Uzi branded 2 AA (made by Dorcy. Has served me well for years. I can't knock it) that serve as my daily users. The Mag stays in my work bag, the Uzi, on the nightstand.

On its highest setting, :eek: It has recoil! I'll try to get outside tonight to get some pics of the TA30 absorbing the darkness.

Overall, I'd say this is much more flashlight than most would ever need for finding their way in a power outage or around the campsite. IMO, its too big for EDC but still small enough to carry in a pack. With that said, I'm still grinning over this one.:D More than I need most of the time but a hoot none the less.

Buy one! No one "needs" a Porsche Carrera GT either but that don't stop 'em from selling. The "Grin Factor" combined with the utility and fair price make it worth it.

I'll add more later including an in-hand pic.

Chris

I'd look at the Olight M20 R2 instead. I looked at the fenix, and it's way too long, and didn't have a pocket clip. The olight is around the same price, longer runtime, and is brighter.

Fenix does have a lot good lights, but Olight really hit a home run with their M20.

I'd look at the Olight M20 R2 instead. I looked at the fenix, and it's way too long, and didn't have a pocket clip. The olight is around the same price, longer runtime, and is brighter.

Fenix does have a lot good lights, but Olight really hit a home run with their M20.

Both of them sell pretty well for me, but the big differentiator for the TA30 is the selector ring. It's a pretty cool feature that Fenix executed very well. The TA30 definitely is a bit larger than the M20, although it has the additional battery life that you get from the additional batteries. Not that big of a deal to me since I just take extra batteries, but a lot of my customers seem to appreciate the extra runtime you can get on a single set.

I've never owned a Fenix, but in general the reviews seem to be good..
I've been using SureFires for about the last 6-7 years and have been very happy with them...
I think the thing that keeps me from trying some of the Fenix is the multiple settings on a lot of them.
I like things simple, off and on. No strobes, no multiple settings. However, there are a lot of people that really like those features. I watched a destruction video of a TK-10, gotta say, it was built extremely well and took a hell of a beating.

Back