My Anthem report

For me the Anthem seems like the next step in the evolution of the 940. I probably won't get to see one until the gun and knife show in September.

I really agree. The more I've thought about this one in the course of carrying it the more I think that this knife really represents the evolution of that which is distinctively Benchmade. In contrast to the 761 which seemed more like Benchmade trying to pull off their own Sebenza and it not feeling quite right (at least to me).

This knife is definitely not trying to emulate the Sebenza but really draws much more from the sleek original 940/943 design and, in my opinion, the blade profile of the Griptillian. Those two come together in a really unique way with the integral handle construction for a product that is uniquely Benchmade in its feel. The more Benchmade does this kind of thing (and I think the new 535 is another good sign!), the better I say.

Uniquely Benchmade. I like that. Good description.
I agree about the 535. I like the concept. Maybe it's what the 531 was trying to achieve.

As many have said, it's the price Of the Anthem that kills it for me. Give me two slabs, standoffs and big PB washers (which I would hope cut costs and I don't care for bearings) and I've found my next folder.

Last edited:
Uniquely Benchmade. I like that. Good description.
I agree about the 535. I like the concept. Maybe it's what the 531 was trying to achieve.

As many have said, it's the price Of the Anthem that kills it for me. Give me two slabs, standoffs and big PB washers (which I would hope cut costs and I don't care for bearings) and I've found my next folder.
I highly agree

I keep getting so close to buying this knife, then back off. The price puts this blade into Hinderer/Sebenza territory for me. By no means am I saying that potentially the Anthem is not their equal but I just can't justify the cost in my mind.

I keep getting so close to buying this knife, then back off. The price puts this blade into Hinderer/Sebenza territory for me. By no means am I saying that potentially the Anthem is not their equal but I just can't justify the cost in my mind.

How do you justify the cost of a sebenza? Both are Ti handled and the Anthem has better steel. I have both and rotate them, sometimes I carry both! I suggest any of the three you are considering, they're all good. They are all worth the price if you like them.

Thanks for the response Honed_Edge. I own 6 Hinderer's and a pair of Crk. For me, they are a "known value", if you will. I know exactly what I am getting for my cash. A $425 Benchmade, not counting their gold class moves them into a neighborhood with established players.

I understand price is a subjective thing. Ha, Ha, I guess one could even say that a $220 Zt 0095 is a better deal than all of them. Damn, you really got me thinking now! This is a great looking Benchmade.

Thanks for the response Honed_Edge. I own 6 Hinderer's and a pair of Crk. For me, they are a "known value", if you will. I know exactly what I am getting for my cash. A $425 Benchmade, not counting their gold class moves them into a neighborhood with established players.

I understand price is a subjective thing. Ha, Ha, I guess one could even say that a $220 Zt 0095 is a better deal than all of them. Damn, you really got me thinking now! This is a great looking Benchmade.

Watch for a used one on the forums. They seem to be going for about $350.

Ok, so you mean unadvertised specials in brick and mortar stores. That may be from time to time. But not from online retailers.

First store I visited today:
dgmx3qP.jpg

Second store I visited:
IOUP02q.jpg

Double standards do nothing but get everyone frustrated, like me! These stores are selling for $65 less than the two stores closest to me.

The "UPP" policy says ALL dealers must sell at the same price, not just advertise, but sell at the same price.
To further my anger, BM specifically encourages people NOT to point out when sellers violate the UPP.
That's a rather unusual system. Don't break the rules, but if you do we don't want to hear about it...

BM sure has a special ability to get peoples feathers ruffled. I hate to see it, but this forums has daily BM bashes over many issues. They are a great company and I own lots of their product. It just makes me rather mad to know I could of had an Anthem and another nice $70 knife.
My BM gripe is not quality or F&F, my knives are perfectly acceptable. My feathers are ruffled about the pricing inequality.

I was in the Factory last week and handled one of these. It's not as small as the pictures may suggest, and it is noticeably bigger than the 94x series. It's also no lightweight, as it weighs more than the 94x knives by a significant margin.

The action was buttery smooth, blade was centered, and the edge bevel looked straight. I wouldn't expect any less from a knife sitting in the factory showroom.

I was in the Factory last week and handled one of these. It's not as small as the pictures may suggest, and it is noticeably bigger than the 94x series. It's also no lightweight, as it weighs more than the 94x knives by a significant margin.

The action was buttery smooth, blade was centered, and the edge bevel looked straight. I wouldn't expect any less from a knife sitting in the factory showroom.

Yes, it's a 3.5" blade versus the 3.4" blade on the 940 series. And the Anthem comes in right around 3.6 ounces versus 2.9 on the standard aluminum 940 and 2.4 on the 940-1. I think the 940-2 and other G10 versions come in around 2.6 ounces.

not even in the same real as a sebenza, but still a very nice blade. i think its a little over priced though for what you get. personally i think the new griptilians with the same steel can potentially out perform these blades. now give them some m4, or zdp189 as an option , then we might have something .

Back