My Anthem report

not even in the same real as a sebenza, but still a very nice blade. i think its a little over priced though for what you get. personally i think the new griptilians with the same steel can potentially out perform these blades. now give them some m4, or zdp189 as an option , then we might have something .
Seriously? 20cv is really great steel.
Goto 4min in.
Code:
https://youtu.be/5AWIOxsBZwI
20cv Is the same composition to m390 and 204p you can see its pretty damn good in comparison to zdp189. Better than m4 too (I like m4, don't have zdp189).

m4 is widely regarded as slightly better than m390 though it is not a stainless material . i would not mind even seeing 4v for that price

m4 is widely regarded as slightly better than m390 though it is not a stainless material . i would not mind even seeing 4v for that price
No doubt those are all good steel with the right heat treatment. Better is debatable, everything has pro's and con's. For the cost 20cv is perfectly fine. I wish every knife I have or want is made of un obtainium too.

Widely regarded as slightly better? In what sense? This test showed the opposite in terms of edge retention https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/m390-vs-m4-rope-cut-test.1174790/

Plus, M4 is not as stainless as M390.
exactly. M4 has its pro's, its great at high HRC with blade chopping sports etc. this is a pocket knife tho. same with 4V both have great impact resistance and pretty good edge retention as well, just maybe not as good as some other steel types tho.

exactly. M4 has its pro's, its great at high HRC with blade chopping sports etc. this is a pocket knife tho. same with 4V both have great impact resistance and pretty good edge retention as well, just maybe not as good as some other steel types tho.

Agreed. For a folding knife steel I'd take M390/20CV/204P any day. M4 is great, but whatever advantages it has get lost in a pocket knife. And then the corrosion issue stands out.

Reactions: Mo2
I'm just waiting in the weeds for one to pop up under 350.00 somewhere and my search is over.Saw one or two a few months ago but even 350 was sticker shock to me,after seeing reviews like this,maybe now I'm a little more comfortable with it.....

Last edited:
I'm just waiting in the weeds for one to pop up under 350.00 somewhere and my search is over.Saw one or two a few months ago but even 350 was sticker shock to me,maybe now I'm a little more comfortable with it.....

$350 is a lot of money no doubt. It's just that some people have lots and lots of money. If you like it and have the money BUY IT! People spend that kind of money on purses, shoes, watches, tablets, phones...blah blah. I say get it if all your responsibilities are satisfied.

When I first saw this knife was coming out I fell in love with this design and had never owned a BM. I waited and waited for this knife to be on sale ready to buy before knowing much about BM. But that gave me time to research about BM but eventually went with a Pro Tech and got tired of waiting and that was even two hundred more than this knife. During that research I read about the issues but thought at this price they are going to make sure everyone is flawless since it will be king on there line up. And here I am again saved up money once again and am looking at the Anthem, Sebenza 21 and the Reate Epoch. Now after being patient and saving up the money I want a almost sure chance I am going to get the knife I expect the first time and have no patience for returns solving any issues. So I wish I knew a knife store in Orlando that carried them to inspect otherwise going with Reate who seems to have almost flawless reputation in quality control they are looking like my choice. It is a shame really, I want to spend my money buying American knife companies but American companies seem like they need to step it up before they go extinct. Now I am sure probably some of the quality control problems are over done but they sure could have gone a long way and spent some extra time to put some of that to rest with the Anthem and some of these little issues coming out. Anyways from someone who is not a fanboy of any particular knife or company and relatively new to the hobby.

So I wish I knew a knife store in Orlando that carried them to inspect
There are some vendors here on the forum that will inspect the knife for you.
DLT Trading is one. some others have said they would also do this. ask them to make sure its good and has loctite on the pivot screw. will be hard to find one sharpened correctly, but you can easily do that yourself or send it to someone who can do that.

There are some vendors here on the forum that will inspect the knife for you.
DLT Trading is one. some others have said they would also do this. ask them to make sure its good and has loctite on the pivot screw. will be hard to find one sharpened correctly, but you can easily do that yourself or send it to someone who can do that.

I think you misunderstand I wish Orlando had some decent knife stores that carried this knife for me to hand pick out instead of ordering one and hoping I get a decent one and playing the mail it back and forth game. I know you could ask these knife sellers to check it for you but again rolling the dice they actually do this.

I think you misunderstand I wish Orlando had some decent knife stores that carried this knife for me to hand pick out instead of ordering one and hoping I get a decent one and playing the mail it back and forth game. I know you could ask these knife sellers to check it for you but again rolling the dice they actually do this.
I'm not missing the point lol the point is they inspect it so you don't go back and forth. Good luck.

halden.doerge halden.doerge Any updates for us?

How much have you been using your anthem and how hard?
Is the "blade stop" still holding up?
Any new or developing issues with blade play, centering, or anything else?
Now that you've had it a few months, do you still like it as much as before and how do you think it fares against the competition at its price point?

Sorry to pepper you with info requests...the 781 is still on my (unfortunately small) list of future possibilities.

halden.doerge halden.doerge Any updates for us?

How much have you been using your anthem and how hard?
Is the "blade stop" still holding up?
Any new or developing issues with blade play, centering, or anything else?
Now that you've had it a few months, do you still like it as much as before and how do you think it fares against the competition at its price point?

Sorry to pepper you with info requests...the 781 is still on my (unfortunately small) list of future possibilities.

Not a problem at all! Yes indeed, I still have the 781 in my collection getting regular carry and use. Still razor sharp from just stropping the factory edge, which is definitely saying something.

No new issues have developed. Lockup remains rock solid, centering is unchanged as far as I can tell (just a hair off, came that way from Benchmade). No peening on the titainium "blade stop" and it seems to be wearing evenly and insignificantly.

So yeah, I'm still super satisfied on this one and don't see it going anywhere. The only other thing I'll say is that after getting the 535 Bugout I find myself wishing that the 781 had the blade shape from the 535 installed on it. Oh man would that be perfection.

So I found a place that had a Anthem 42 miles from my house. Finish perfect. Blade centering perfect. Blade grind perfect. I was ready to fork out the cash and that clip and gap in it fit the pants way to loose for losing it. Sad drive home.

So I found a place that had a Anthem 42 miles from my house. Finish perfect. Blade centering perfect. Blade grind perfect. I was ready to fork out the cash and that clip and gap in it fit the pants way to loose for losing it. Sad drive home.

That's too bad, cuz that issue with the clip is like, super easy to fix.

How's that. She did offer to give me a free standard clip to put on it. But I just don't know?!

Just take the clip off, and flip it around on the knife so that it's pointing up (only screw in the two screws on the outsides) and then gently bend the clip in, then re-position it. Do that till you have the desired retention on the clip.

Damn man, sucks passing over the clip. They are ALL bent like that so it is surely by design. My only 781 gripe is it being a tiny bit off center. As it gets older the knife is somehow centering itself. If I found one with only a "bad clip" I would have been all over it.

Halden said how easy it is to adjust the gap. You DON'T want no gap at all. The clip is way too stiff and it wont fit over the pocket without forcing it. I reduced the gap by 50% and its perfect. Go back and get the knife ASAP!

My 15 Spyders, 8 ZT's and many other Benchmades all sit in their boxes. I alternate a 21 lefty insingo and the Anthem. It's been nearly 4 months of just those two. Great knives.

To respond to the previous question about holding up, it's great. I can't tell the Ti lock face is changing. It's worn in super smooth, but no grooves from the bearings. I also have only stropped the edge. The steel is great and the heat treat must be spot on.

Yes, it's very expensive... but I LOVE the knife.

Last edited:
This is one of the best looking Benchmade folding knives imo. I would buy one if it were priced around $300.

Back