My Anthem report

Really wish they would sell a tool to take apart the axis bar but I doubt it will happen.

Really wish they would sell a tool to take apart the axis bar but I doubt it will happen.
I found the tool:
I found that a 4.5-mm box wrench (a simple hexagon) from an ignition-wrench set will work. A 4.5-mm socket with a thin wall should also work.

I found the tool:
I found that a 4.5-mm box wrench (a simple hexagon) from an ignition-wrench set will work. A 4.5-mm socket with a thin wall should also work.
Do you think you could post a link to what your talking about? Thanks

Picked one up this weekend and love it!!love the looks think its my favorite
Benchmade folder to date. No issues good centering and smooth as glass after a little 10 wt
Nano oil grinds look even and super sharp. Love the thin profile for edc I think it's a home run

Totally off topic for the thread in general, but I want to pick one of these up really bad! I’m watching the forum to try and catch a deal because I can’t see myself paying the $425 retailers have to ask for it. I have seen them go $300-$350 on the forum... I’ll catch one eventually.

I just picked one up for $330 shipped. It is in like-new condition with the factory edge and appears to be free from the common benchmade QC issues. It's also not a first production, thankfully.

Felt like I owed the thread an update. So, keeping things going in the spirit of full disclosure, as I've tried to do throughout the thread. A couple months back I sold my original Anthem. Nothing bad had happened with it, but it had kinda been sitting in the drawer and not getting carried. I found a good home to send it to, and decided to try something else. Ya'll know how it is with the ebb and flow of knife collecting.

However, here we are a couple months later and what was ebbing started to flow again. I had been missing having an Anthem for a bit and one popped up for sale, and I was able to get it at the same price I sold my original for ($335, on the exchange, just FYI). I've traded in #69 for #199, still a first production run. And let me tell you, this one is absolute and total perfection straight out of the box. Even edge grind, and sharp as could be. Blade was not overground, and the centering was dead on perfect. The pivot is dialed in exactly right, and I haven't needed to make any adjustments or add loctite to it. I did give the pocket clip just a slight more bend for better retention, but that's it. One couldn't have asked for a better example of a high end folder. Good job, Benchmade Benchmade . Just keep on working at it and turning them out like this one.

Anyways, in the spirit of trying things differently this year, I'm attempting to carry one folder a month at a time, rather than rotating through different things almost every day. I want to see how stuff performs over more sustained and regular carry and use. The Anthem is first up this year, so hopefully I'll have a bit more to say about it in the days to come.

HFoI9Aa.jpg

halden.doerge halden.doerge Thanks for the update. It’s very telling that it’s a knife you went back to! It’s still on my “would like to own” list. Unfortunately there are so many knives vying for my attention in the $250-$500 range that I’m practically paralyzed with indecision (never mind the finances) ;).

I’ll keep watching the thread for sure!

I’m on the edge of picking up a BM Anthem myself. I love the axis lock system, the TI frame size and weight plus a nice blade shape made with my favorite steel cpm 20v. I’ve already spend my knife money for this month so will have to wait till Feb I guess.

Alright, I have meant to post an update for about a week now. I’m now well over three weeks into carrying the anthem every day. And I have to say, my appreciation for this particular knife has only continue to increase with constant, regular use.

The action on the knife has continued to break in well, getting smoother and smoother. There is still that sense that you can “feel” the bearings rolling at times. However, any hint of grittiness or noise has gone with break-in. It is definitely the most loose, free falling action I’ve had on an axis lock.

Furthermore, the centering and lock up have not changed one bit. And that’s with constant, daily, excessive flipping and fidgeting. My daily work involves driving to multiple different appointments and spending a lot of time in the car driving and waiting between appointments every day. That translates to a job that is super friendly to me playing around with opening and closing my knives. Apologies to all office workers. :D Anyways, if the pivot was going to loosen up, I am quite confident I would have shook it loose by now. I haven’t needed to tweak the action on this one at all. It is, frankly, perfect.

In terms of the edge, I have not yet reprofiled this one. The factory edge was evenly ground and sharp, and I have maintained it on the strip. It has honestly been pretty easy to maintain a hair shaving edge all month, and that’s with routine cardboard cutting, food prep, and other such general use. Eventually I will take it to a mirror finish, but I haven’t felt the urge to do so yet.

A few pics from the last few weeks:

MvxV62x.jpg

mOEsWIW.jpg

9sa5MmM.jpg

Last edited:
Great update! Can you please compare it to the two knives you have it pictured with? The CR and the Bugout; in terms of action, blade grind and geometry, and overall usage?

Well, it's been a while but I'm still carrying this bad boy regularly. And it's definitely gonna see some more pocket time after this game changer:

V6fOVd8.jpg

Jid1Q7Q.jpg

PTQQ5EQ.jpg

The dark stonewash on the clip matches the blade perfectly. Clip is from MXG Gear, for anyone interested.

Well, it's been a while but I'm still carrying this bad boy regularly. And it's definitely gonna see some more pocket time after this game changer:
The dark stonewash on the clip matches the blade perfectly. Clip is from MXG Gear, for anyone interested.

Dang, I don't even see dark stonewash as an option :/

I should probably have included an update when I did this, but I converted my anthem to run on bronze washers. It was not a fun process but damn if it isn't smooth now.

ciX14pP.jpg

xodkIrS.jpg

Back