My Anthem report

Dang, I don't even see dark stonewash as an option :/

I should probably have included an update when I did this, but I converted my anthem to run on bronze washers. It was not a fun process but damn if it isn't smooth now.

ciX14pP.jpg

xodkIrS.jpg

What are the dimensions on those washers and what was involved in your process?

Reactions: Mo2
Stock bearing size: 1/4" ID x 1/2" OD x 0.0500" thick. (measured bearing at 0.2535" ID x 0.4880" OD x 0.0500" thickness, blade cutout OD at 0.5220" and pivot at 0.2485")

Washers used: TT-504 Oil impregnated bronze thrust washers.

Washer size: 1/4" ID x 1/2" OD x 1/16" thick.

Through much trial and error and several beers I determined that the correct thickness is 0.0480 for both washers, and it is very important to keep them as flat as possible. I ruined 4 washers by sanding them and finding out they were 0.0015" off between each side. These are within 0.0005" flatness. To achieve this I 3d printed a little fixture to hold the washer and rotated the washer approximately 30° every 20 sanding passes. I started on 400 grit and ended with 1000 grit, wet sand. I then used my strop and 1/2 micron diamond paste to get a mirror polish on each side of the washer, but that's probably not necessary. I had someone recommend a ballisong washer sanding tool/block. I can't recall what it was called, but it would probably have made this process much easier.

I should probably have included an update when I did this, but I converted my anthem to run on bronze washers. It was not a fun process but damn if it isn't smooth now.

ciX14pP.jpg

xodkIrS.jpg

Oh, also, it’s just the standard “plain” finish on the clip. It’s blasted, which matches well with that finish on the blade.

I just picked up one off the exchange.The other day,I was looking at the internals and noticed that mine does not have the adjustable hex stop pin.As I remembered last summer when I last visited the BM showroom the sales person pointed to this feature.My question is why are they not using this?

I just picked up one off the exchange.The other day,I was looking at the internals and noticed that mine does not have the adjustable hex stop pin.As I remembered last summer when I last visited the BM showroom the sales person pointed to this feature.My question is why are they not using this?

The axis locks do not use the adjustable stop pin feature.

Are you thinking of the 764 TI monolock? It has an adjustable stop pin. That’s never been a feature on the 781 Anthem.

ciX14pP.jpg

xodkIrS.jpg
Would you consider making some more to sell? I might be very interested. I passed along my another because I didn't care for the washers.

Want to chime in because I finally picked up a 781. Ordered with no special instructions and received an excellent factory-sealed example. Has got to be my nicest folder. The clip gap everybody talks about was there and did not inspire confidence. I changed that in a couple of mins and now pocket retention is tight and perfect. Immediately got greedy and wanted another one -not sure why I get like that when I am stoked about a knife but I do. Feeling very fortunate to have this folder to enjoy. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Eme2Ppq.jpg

halden.doerge halden.doerge

I admire your skill with the WE. I'm considering springing for one later this year. (After I correct the damage to my CCs with my impulse purchases from 2018. Ha!)

How long does it take you to put a mirror edge on? Say, on that one, with a good factory edge?

halden.doerge halden.doerge

I admire your skill with the WE. I'm considering springing for one later this year. (After I correct the damage to my CCs with my impulse purchases from 2018. Ha!)

How long does it take you to put a mirror edge on? Say, on that one, with a good factory edge?

For me, to get the mirror edge right and make sure all the scratches from the previous grits are out, it usually takes about an hour. Could be more, sometimes a little less, depending on the knife. The biggest factor is how much reprofiling you want to do. If you just match the factory edges it goes way faster, but I usually can't help laying the bevel back at least a degree or two for better slicing performance.

I just got an Anthem and it's by far my best knife. 2nd and 3rd are 940's.

Thanks for the tip on bending the clip. I was going to use a vise.

Also interesting to read people's opinions about it vs the Sebenza.

I'm left handed and that's what got me into the Benchmades is that they don't discriminate against my kind.

Back