My Antique Kukri has arrived...

I surely had my fingers crossed that the Antique Kukri I ordered from Atlanta Cutlery would be a decent representation. I paid the small extra fee for "hand select", but I didn't expect that to really help out much, knowing that some luck of the draw may be more my friend in this.
Well, I am happy with what I got. I think she will clean up very well.
There will be no tools or abrasives used in this process. The only help I will use is from a cloth having some solvent to loosen the old dry & hardened grease on the blade. Then I will simply apply a light coat of oil to protect it.

Here she is as received...

11w7vpl.jpg

s4s01c.jpg

261dbma.jpg

And this is after a quick initial wipe down with a clean dry cloth...

35m1k6f.jpg

I will post more about the cleaning results after it's all been done. And again, the cleaning will not entail any invasive processes.
I will also share any other observations about it at that point. But, thus far, I am very content with what I received... I mean, it's an Antique :)

Last edited:
My first attempt at removing the dried up grease was with CLP oil, (cleaner, lubricant, preservative). I mean, yes, a little more of the softer grease came right off, but the really hardened grease, (that had dried up so hard that it was like a light varnish), still remained. There really wasn't much left, but it was hard enough that either I'd have to leave it be, use a fine abrasive to remove it (like 0000 steel wool), or maybe try using my cleaning solvent idea to see if it would do the trick.
Well, I did not want to leave the dried grease on the knife, and I was certainly set on not using ANY tools or abrasives, so I went with my only option, to try the cleaning solvent idea.
I simply saturated the tip of a soft clean cloth with some Acetone... the remaining hard grease spots gave up the ghost almost immediately! It came off so fast and easy, that I was actually surprised about it. Of course it was only used on the blade, I would never apply any of that solvent to the wood handle.

Just going to lightly oil the blade soon, and then I'll take a few pics of the end results. I expected this whole thing to have become a major project, but the specimen I received almost made it too easy :)
Obviously, I'm kidding, I'm okay with it being an easy task! :)

Last edited:
The following pics may show the knife as having been polished or something... But no, it's just the angle I took the pics at. It actually has that old silver'ish/gray look about it that I would expect from an antique. Heck, I have my own fair share of gray coming in too, no need to hide them on me, or the knife :)

Here she is, (both sides)...

2hg9rbl.jpg

ztu74.jpg

Last edited:
Was wondering how to show the handle some love too, since along with the blade, it had been neglected for so long.
Hmm... well, rummaging through my closet full of this and that, I found what I was looking for... some mineral oil.
As you can see from this picture, I have been applying some of it to the handle. This was the last coat, and in a bit, I'll wipe her off of any excess. That's why she is currently gleaming as if she had a coat of heavy polyurethane, but it's just the temporary look while she is being slathered in mineral oil.

mv2s5u.jpg

My next project I'll do for her, (at some point in the near future), is deciding a way in which to display her. She spent way too many years hidden in a run down Royal Palace in Nepal that had been converted into an Armoury. And, way too much time after that in a warehouse somewhere in Atlanta Georgia. It's time for her to be seen, admired, and appreciated, (all while being protected and cared for). She can now represent the historical piece that she is :)

As I mentioned before, the cleaning only entailed using some solvent to remove the hardened grease. I used no power tools, abrasives, or polishes of any kind.
I also want to add that the cutting edge of this knife is completely nick free, and the blade's tip is fully intact.
In fact, I had to wrap the blade with a cloth while I was applying the mineral oil to the handle... Why? Because the edge is still fairly sharp and I wanted to avoid her biting me.
The wood handle is in decent condition for it's age, only having a few very small chips in it, but nothing to detract from it's overall shape. Funny thing is, Kukri knife handles, (especially on original antiques such as this one), are often a terrible fit for medium to large hands. I guess my 5'7" stature having smallish hands and all, are the reason why this handle fits me like a glove :)
It's very cool to see the obvious traits of it being hand forged by the Kamis. The "cho" on this knife is nicely done. I sometimes see specimens that have their chos a bit on the sloppy side of things.
I love how this thing screams out as being a true old school Kukri... I rate this a solid ten for simply being such a cool item :)

Last edited:
Thanks for showing us what we can expect if we were to order one of these historical knives.I have always shied away from ordering or bidding on a Kukuri because most that I've seen weren't the real deal.
This is has got me thinking.

Was wondering how to show the handle some love too, since along with the blade, it had been neglected for so long.
Hmm... well, rummaging through my closet full of this and that, I found what I was looking for... some mineral oil.
As you can see from this picture, I have been applying some of it to the handle. This was the last coat, and in a bit, I'll wipe her off of any excess. That's why she is currently gleaming as if she had a coat of heavy polyurethane, but it's just the temporary look while she is being slathered in mineral oil.

mv2s5u.jpg

My next project I'll do for her, (at some point in the near future), is deciding a way in which to display her. She spent way too many years hidden in a run down Royal Palace in Nepal that had been converted into an Armoury. And, way too much time after that in a warehouse somewhere in Atlanta Georgia. It's time for her to be seen, admired, and appreciated, (all while being protected and cared for). She can now represent the historical piece that she is :)

As I mentioned before, the cleaning only entailed using some solvent to remove the hardened grease. I used no power tools, abrasives, or polishes of any kind.
I also want to add that the cutting edge of this knife is completely nick free, and the blade's tip is fully intact.
In fact, I had to wrap the blade with a cloth while I was applying the mineral oil to the handle... Why? Because the edge is still fairly sharp and I wanted to avoid her biting me.
It's also very cool to see the obvious traits of it being hand forged by the Kamis. The "cho" on this knife is nicely done. I sometimes see specimens that have their chos a bit on the sloppy side of things.
I love how this thing screams out as being a true old school Kukri... I rate this a solid ten for simply being such a cool item :)
Well, I am so glad that I enabled you!:)
This is inspiring me to clean mine up too! I've been meaning to, but just haven't gotten around to it. Mine does have a few dings in the edge to sharpen out though.

Well, I am so glad that I enabled you!:)
This is inspiring me to clean mine up too! I've been meaning to, but just haven't gotten around to it. Mine does have a few dings in the edge to sharpen out though.

Thank you, Sir!
You peaked my interest enough for me to put aside the fears I had about possibly receiving a pure rust bucket. While this is no brand new knife, it is far from being that rust bucket I feared so much... Again, thank you, Sir! :)

For the average current price being somewhere in the $100 range, it really is amazing to have access to such a historic piece. The provenance of these knives can't get much better than it is... The aquisition to the contents of the Royal Nepalese Armoury story is a fascinating one. From what I understand, that building was crumbled during Nepal's earthquake a couple/few years ago that devastated that country. It's contents were saved by having been purchased by IMA & AC a decade and a half ago. I have little doubt that if that purchase had not been made, that the Armoury's contents would have wound up being part of that building's rubble after that earthquake.

These knives, even after all these years since being purchased from Nepal, have still not been realized for their serious collector value. There were 14 to 15 thousand of various types of Kukri knives found in the Royal Nepalese Armoury cache. That number likely includes the broken ones missing handles, and others in possibly less than average to good condition. As these sell off, some will be used by their new owners as knives to use, rather than to collect as historical pieces. Some will put them to the grinder to re-contour this or that. Some will modify them by over cleaning them with tools and strong abrasives or polishing agents/media, (of course in the case of active red rust, this may be justified to prevent further deterioration). Some will wind up in less than stellar storage conditions, or simply not know how to maintain them, and they will start heavily deteriorating. All this and more... all of which will cause less to survive as preserved antiques, (since all this I mention will kill the collector value of these pieces). When they are finally gone, that will be it. Their prices will start to climb. So right now, imo, is still a prime time to take advantage of such a value on these historic pieces. They are available, but nobody knows when these two main sources will dry up. Sure, they have been available since 2002 or 2003, but that does not mean that their available status will continue for that much longer. I am glad an enabler on this forum got me off the fence on this purchase.
As for these Kukri knives coming from either IMA or AC, one of the best ways to keep record of their provenance, (they having been part of the Royal Nepalese Armoury cache), is to keep one' purchase receipt of the item. It's too bad they don't come standard with a certificate of authenticity from these two sources, I think that would be a great selling point for them. IMA does offer one, if a Kukri is purchased from them, but for a $20 premium. Again, imo, they should simply be included in the deal... but, it is what it is. Keeping the original receipt and maybe some notation about the connection to the Nepalese Armoury cache, is probably a good idea for reasons of posterity ;)

Last edited:
I sometimes have a hard time capturing the actual look of an item with a picture. The following pic finally does a decent job of showing what this Kukri now looks like in hand...

sq2lty.jpg

All pits, scratches, or any other things seen in the photo, are true to what I received. This is what she had when arriving to me. All is left intact, the only removal having been the soft and hard grease that was covering her.

Very nice old kukri Jimmy! I agree with you, your pic does a great job of showing what a kukri, looked like when it was an essential tool and weapon.

Even a quick look at that kukri and you can see what it is going to feel like, where the weight is, and what it's job is. I bet it feels nimble and alive in hand and never gives off the impression of being too big or heavy. They are such a privilege and honor to own, hope you enjoy it.

I also agree that IMA and AC did themselves and these blades a disservice by not issuing certificates with all of them. Not only would it have documented history for the people that get these blades handed down decades from now, it would have also stabilized the value of their product and our treasure. Now you see people reselling these blades with all sorts of wild claims and prices from next to nothing, to three or four times their real worth. I can only imagine what wild stories people in the future will tell about where these kukri came from!

Well, I did my first "show & tell" session with the Kukri. A friend came over last night, and although he admires my collection, (which includes knives), he is not himself a collector or a knife person.
Anyhow, the Kukri sparked some conversation that went on for quite some time, as he was facinated about the facts pertaining to the famous Gurkhas and their likely even more famous knife.
He asked some good questions, and it felt good to educate him on the topic.

One particular question brought up by him, was if I used a scuff pad or something on the blade to remove the old gunk. I told him no, and then went on to explain why it's not a good idea to use such materials on an antique, as it can only instantly devalue it, and likely forever continue to affect it's value.
Then he says to me... "But it looks scratched up here and there?".
This is a question that was a fair one, him not fully grasping the fact that as an edged blade carried and used by soldiers, they were going to show the wear and tear of that service they gave. So, I went on to try and explain how most of the scars he was seeing, got there.
I first discussed that the knife was made at a time when these items were still very ancient in their productuon, and that the term "hand made" was extremely fitting to how the knife was produced. The uneveness seen on the blade's surface, (when brought up under proper lighting and angle), was from the blade having been formed by hammer and anvil. That some of the more even scratches along the blade's surface were mostly from the final shaping and finishing of the blade. I also explained that use of the knife would have been anything from the everyday mundane chores, to even being used as an actual weapon, (which the Gurkha soldiers were known to be good at with their preferred knives). I explained that the knives were cared for, but not babied, since they were tools that actually got used when needed. That the small dings and dents on such a blade were likely a combination of the manufacturing process they went through, and the expected scars from being used as tools. I also explained that outdoor conditions were not always ideal, and that carbon steel needs quite a bit of attention to prevent rust. That even though they took care of their knives, they were not going to constantly worry about a little surface rust that may occur from the elements. When the knife showed a little rust forming, they would simply use whatever was at hand at the time to remove it. This was not going to entail a fine steel wool or a fancy polishing compound, but whatever was at hand to scratch off something that may have started developing. So, in other words, some of the blade's scratches were that, basic field upkeep by a soldier to keep his knife serviceable. Then there was it's storage at the Royal Nepalese Armoury, which they were likely kept untouched for many many decades. The initial coat of protection, (grease), that was likely placed onto them when first being stored, was likely the only thing they had done to them. The decades long storage was in a building that no longer offered protection from much of the outside elements. So, yes, some of the scars were from that ordeal, (just another part of the Kukris history). Then there was the packing and transfer out of Nepal of these items back in 2003. Stuff was not treated as gently as one would hope, it was already a daunting task, adding in extremely careful handling during this process, was just not feasible. The Kukri at some point in it's voyage, wound up in an Atlanta Cutlery warehouse, and there it likely sat, (for about 15 years), until they shipped it out to me last week after my having purchased it. It was then that my cleaning off of the grease finally revealed all the scars that she clearly earned during her existence.

Yup, my friend seemed totally riveted to the explaination of my Kukri' saga :)

2j3pbh3.jpg

I placed the antique Kukri in one of my display cases last night. There really is no rhyme or reason to what's in any given display within my collection, atleast that's how most people likely see it. But, in my eyes, they are all tied in by being items that somehow call out to me. I guess that's why I simply titled it as my "Man Gadget Collection", which helps encapsulate my collection's eclectic nature :)

In any case, (pun not intended), because the collection is so eclectic, there is always something that sparks conversation with my guests :)

Last edited:
I have previously watched blade videos put up by this gentleman, and he not only seems like a very knowledgeable person on edged weapons, (especially on swords), but also seems like a genuinely good guy, (the kind of guy you wouldn't mind going out to a local tavern with to have a few drinks and have some good conversation). Anyhow, I just watched this one he has pertaining to Kukri knives, and felt I should share it here for those that may have an interest on the subject :)

Great subject and wonderful genre of blades

I have modern and antique variants and the one thing I’ve notived is that the antiques have much smaller handles than their modern day counterparts

I do enjoy the topic so thank you for posting up your new acquisition

Did I read this correctly? ( the average current price being somewhere in the $100 range ) Is that price for a repro or that beautiful antique? If it's for the latter I would love some info on how to perches one. I have been meaning to get a kukri for a long time but have not seen a modern one I care for, plastic handles and coated blades... yuk

Well, I did my first "show & tell" session with the Kukri. A friend came over last night, and although he admires my collection, (which includes knives), he is not himself a collector or a knife person.
Anyhow, the Kukri sparked some conversation that went on for quite some time, as he was facinated about the facts pertaining to the famous Gurkhas and their likely even more famous knife.
He asked some good questions, and it felt good to educate him on the topic.

One particular question brought up by him, was if I used a scuff pad or something on the blade to remove the old gunk. I told him no, and then went on to explain why it's not a good idea to use such materials on an antique, as it can only instantly devalue it, and likely forever continue to affect it's value.
Then he says to me... "But it looks scratched up here and there?".
This is a question that was a fair one, him not fully grasping the fact that as an edged blade carried and used by soldiers, they were going to show the wear and tear of that service they gave. So, I went on to try and explain how most of the scars he was seeing, got there.
I first discussed that the knife was made at a time when these items were still very ancient in their productuon, and that the term "hand made" was extremely fitting to how the knife was produced. The uneveness seen on the blade's surface, (when brought up under proper lighting and angle), was from the blade having been formed by hammer and anvil. That some of the more even scratches along the blade's surface were mostly from the final shaping and finishing of the blade. I also explained that use of the knife would have been anything from the everyday mundane chores, to even being used as an actual weapon, (which the Gurkha soldiers were known to be good at with their preferred knives). I explained that the knives were cared for, but not babied, since they were tools that actually got used when needed. That the small dings and dents on such a blade were likely a combination of the manufacturing process they went through, and the expected scars from being used as tools. I also explained that outdoor conditions were not always ideal, and that carbon steel needs quite a bit of attention to prevent rust. That even though they took care of their knives, they were not going to constantly worry about a little surface rust that may occur from the elements. When the knife showed a little rust forming, they would simply use whatever was at hand at the time to remove it. This was not going to entail a fine steel wool or a fancy polishing compound, but whatever was at hand to scratch off something that may have started developing. So, in other words, some of the blade's scratches were that, basic field upkeep by a soldier to keep his knife serviceable. Then there was it's storage at the Royal Nepalese Armoury, which they were likely kept untouched for many many decades. The initial coat of protection, (grease), that was likely placed onto them when first being stored, was likely the only thing they had done to them. The decades long storage was in a building that no longer offered protection from much of the outside elements. So, yes, some of the scars were from that ordeal, (just another part of the Kukris history). Then there was the packing and transfer out of Nepal of these items back in 2003. Stuff was not treated as gently as one would hope, it was already a daunting task, adding in extremely careful handling during this process, was just not feasible. The Kukri at some point in it's voyage, wound up in an Atlanta Cutlery warehouse, and there it likely sat, (for about 15 years), until they shipped it out to me last week after my having purchased it. It was then that my cleaning off of the grease finally revealed all the scars that she clearly earned during her existence.

Yup, my friend seemed totally riveted to the explaination of my Kukri' saga :)

2j3pbh3.jpg

I placed the antique Kukri in one of my display cases last night. There really is no rhyme or reason to what's in any given display within my collection, atleast that's how most people likely see it. But, in my eyes, they are all tied in by being items that somehow call out to me. I guess that's why I simply titled it as my "Man Gadget Collection", which helps encapsulate my collection's eclectic nature :)

In any case, (pun not intended), because the collection is so eclectic, there is always something that sparks conversation with my guests :)

Frankly, he wasn't the only one. I appreciate you posting this up, it's been fascinating reading, candidly.

For the real things, roughly about $100 or so, (antiques or modern day made)... Just google Alanta Cutlery antique kukri or Ima antique kukri, and the antique ones will be found :)

Last edited:
Back