My Antique Kukri has arrived...

Triton,
Wondering if you have any thoughts on that book about the Royal Nepalese Armory acquisition?
Also, wondering if you ever purchased any more antique specimens from IMA or AC? Thanks in advance for anything you may share :)

Also wondering if anyone else has recently jumped in on buying any of these antique Kukri knives? And if so... Pictures, please! :)

Well, while perusing the IMA website, I noticed that they finally sold out of their Long Leaf kukri offerings. IMA and Atlanta Cutlery/Windlass were the partnership buyers of the old Nepalese Royal Armory almost two decades ago, and it seems the well has finally run almost dry. Atlanta Cutlery will now be the remaining source of the two firms that were selling them. I imagine that Atlanta will soon run out as well.
It just never seemed they'd ever run out, since they have been around for so long now, but it has with the longleafs that IMA was selling.

The following were IMA and Atlanta Cutlery's most notable kukri aquisitions, (and that were available in any real quantities), from their 2003 buyout of the Nepalese Royal Armory in Kathmandu, Nepal, (and as described some time ago on IMA's website)...

Item Description
Original Item:The Gurkha Kukri is possibly the most recognizable and famous fighting knife ever developed. Indigenous to the mountain Kingdom of Nepal, home of the Gurkhas who were "absorbed" into the British sphere of influence with the Treaty of Seguli in 1816. These ferocious fighters were infamous for their valor and for using the kukri an amazing "Tool of Death". It is a forward leaning leaf shaped blade, which provided the user with leveraged striking power. The kukri was became an everyday tool as much as it was a deadly weapon. Introduced long before the British arrived in the early 19th century, the Kukri became standard equipment for Gurkha Regiments serving in the British Army. Ironically the earliest Kukris are the largest, which seems improbable as improvements in nutrition and health care has resulted in mankind in general being much larger today than in 1800, yet with Kukris it is the exact reverse.

All of IMA?s Kukris originate from our 2003 purchase of the Royal Nepalese Arsenal, which was located at the palace of Lagan Silekhana in Katmandu, Nepal. The purchase included a considerable number of military issue Kukris. In broad terms the Kukri inventory falls into the following categories:

Victorian Era Long Leaf Kukri: The largest and oldest, each with Nepalese Negari script indicating various 19th century manufacture dates and were in use up until the late 1890s. Offered with original soft leather scabbard or without scabbard. Approximately 19" long, 2-1/2" wide, 3/8" thick.

Early Bhojpure Kukri: Produced at the turn of the 19th century and after this is a somewhat down scaled version of the Victorian Long Leaf kukri but it tends to have western markings and some even bear WWI dates. However, dated Bhojpore Kukris run fewer than 5% of our inventory. It appears these saw service from the 1890?s through the first quarter of the 20th century. Offered with original soft leather scabbard or without scabbard. Approximately 17" long, 2-1/2" wide, 3/8" thick

Late Bhojpure Kukri: A smaller variation of the Bhojpure Kukri. These commonly bear a "broad arrow" marking and the knife comes in original British WW2 dated hard leather over wood combat scabbard. Very few available. Approximately 15-1/2" long, 2-3/8" wide, 9/32" thick

Mark II Kukri: Produced during WW2, each is maker marked in western script with WW2 dates. Each Mark II Pattern Kukri comes in British WW2 dated hard leather over wood combat scabbard. These Kukris are the most rare of all, as many never returned to arsenal storage after service in WW2. Approximately 16-1/2" long, 2-3/8" wide, 9/32" thick.

All IMA Kukris come from the same Royal Nepalese Army military source and should not be confused with ?Tourist" productions so commonly encountered today. All Kukris are shipped un-cleaned in original grease, which dates back decades or even a century, for you to remove at your leisure.

Last edited:
Neat find. I really like it sir !

Thank you!
Although IMA and Atlanta Cutlery got their Nepal Royal Armory acquisition back in 2003, it was only recently that I took advantage of buying some of these true historic pieces. Now with IMA listing their Long Leaf specimens as "sold out", I now know these are finally drying up altogether, and I'm glad to have gotten in on the deal before that totally happens, (Atlanta Cutlery still has them listed, but starting at about $150, rather than the $100 that IMA was offering them for).
I had purchased my Bhojpure kukri from Atlanta, but my Long Leaf from IMA. Again, the original source was the same, from their purchase of that Nepalese Armory in Nepal, back in 2003 :)

Last edited:
Great thread with some very interesting information and insight to these knives.
Your displayed khukuris was just the inspiration how to put mine on show so need to thank you for that.
Seems I got my long leaf just in time too

Glad you got in on the deal :)
I had read "sold out" on the IMA site, (concerning their Long-Leaf specimens), but then seen them being sold again on there, so I'm not sure where they stand.
Hope you enjoy owning your specimen, Sir :)

Last edited:
Back