My becker bk9 broke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was doing some light chopping in the backyard clearing out some soft wood trees and my bk9 chipped. A big old chip out of the blade!!

I can't upload any pics but the chip is very large, about 2 inches back from the tip. Chip is almost 3/4 the full height of the blade and about 3 inches long.

I am really disappointed in this knife.

Was doing some light chopping in the backyard clearing out some soft wood trees and my bk9 chipped. A big old chip out of the blade!!

I can't upload any pics but the chip is very large, about 2 inches back from the tip. Chip is almost 3/4 the full height of the blade and about 3 inches long.

Post a pic using Photobucket or Imgur.

I'm sure it will be taken care of.

No offense meant, and I'm not doubting what you say, but I kind of chuckled when I read this. It seems like anyone who gets a chip is "lightly chopping softwood" haha. :D

I was chopping down a dead red cedar tree in my backyard. I have contacted Kabar via email and will call tomorrow. I am in shock. My trust in the BK9 has been shattered much like my once favorite knife.

We really need a pic of this, honestly.
If the chip is actually the size you say, then it would take the cake for being the largest chip out of a BK9 that anyone has experienced. :eek:

Hey Bowieknifenick.....

Please contact Ka-Bar ar 1 800 282 0130....... They will take care of your problem..... I am curious as to exact circumstances and if you are willing I would like to speak to you about it...... I always want to explore a failure..... It may not help us to fix a problem we did not know we had..... All data points are useful..... I can be reached this evening at 423 295 2500 until eleven EST...... I am so sorry you are being inconvenienced but, we will make it right..... Hope to talk to you soon...

Ethan

You are a hard man on equipment Nick!
I don't know what to say bud...
Everything has its limitations...
Even a man has to know his limitations.
I know what it's like to lose faith in a knife, a well known brand name knife.
Doesn't mean they are all bad, don't mean the next one will fail.
I sure wasn't chopping with it, I was gutting a deer...
But maybe it's not the knife, but what you are asking of it...
Or expecting it to do.
Good luck Nick...

Here come naysayers bashing the brand...

You can use imgur or photobucket can be used for uploading pictures pretty easily. Not doubting your knife broke, however there are any number of reasons that it could have broken and having the pictures would help. It isn't just a bad knife or bad company. I used my 9 last weekend to chop up some well-dried red oak. I also used my 20 and 21. None of them chipped or broke in any way, so I wouldn't say it's time to lose faith in the knife or the company.

Damn how do these guys do this as I have yet to put but the slightest chip in a BK9 not the knife's fault as I was chopping a little to hard went through the wood and hit a Stone, filed rite out, must of been chopping some petrified cedar as they do get hard after a while. Reminds me back in the day when the crew would say this chainsaw is dull as I inspect and see a 2 inch slice in the dirt just goes to show all tools have their limitations as most people do, Ka-Bar and Mr Becker will take care of you I am sure but some photos would be interesting to say the least

It's sad to see such reversal in faith, just this morning you were recommending the BK9 and now it seems you're swearing off it immediately.

Some pictures wouldn't hurt, I believe you but others obviously don't. All those exclamation points don't help your case either, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Q9n6qgt

My BK9 chipped when I was doing some light chopping on my angle iron trailer frame. I lost faith in my trailer.

Hey Bowieknifenick.....

Please contact Ka-Bar ar 1 800 282 0130....... They will take care of your problem..... I am curious as to exact circumstances and if you are willing I would like to speak to you about it...... I always want to explore a failure..... It may not help us to fix a problem we did not know we had..... All data points are useful..... I can be reached this evening at 423 295 2500 until eleven EST...... I am so sorry you are being inconvenienced but, we will make it right..... Hope to talk to you soon...

Ethan

dang, straight from the man. awesome!

Or08S4I.jpg

My last post would have been much more impactful had I posted the pic correctly. As I said, lightly chopping the angle iron frame on my trailer. Trailer took it harder than my 9.

This company will take care of you. I agree with the rest, pics are needed... it is easy with s phone to upload... can I see the tree where it happened?

Ethan, let me know if you would like me to send you the trailer for failure analysis:D

Not making light of your situation OP. It sucks. However, you have the designer of the knife involved on the first page and physical evidence of the near indestructibility of a BK9. Keep the faith and let Ethan and Kabar take care of you.

Just talked to Mr. Becker on the phone. Great guy and great customer service. How many company owners can you talk to on the phone? I will buy many more Beckers in the future. Mr. Becker you are a great man! Thank you

Hey Everyone....

I just got pix from Nick and it really does look like a slight nick( no pun intended) went Crazy Eddie on him...... The "chip" is really impressive.....About a quarter of the blade, actually and it may be the record..... Nick seems a damned decent guy...... There may also have been an inclusion in the steel, as rolled.... This last is a very rare occurrence these days, mind but it can happen...... I want to put this one under a microscope...... It is a shame that a bad thing happened to a good person.....

Thanks for listening Mister Nick.....

Ethan

Back