my best two tested heavy hitters

I just used my CGBB13 today and it is a beast, a pure beast. I cannot wait to get it on some thicker downed wood. Was de-limbing green stuff with that and a recently acquired SAR8.

Will likely send the CGBB13 off for some "optimization" after beating on it real good in current factory state. I don't think anything I own would beat it in a pure power/force sense, and much easier to catch a clean hit than a KZ IMHO (granted not too much practice with KZ). I own up to NMFBM and ASHBM. They are all good choppers. That CGBB13 feels like an axe when it hits.

C

IMG_1922.jpg IMG_1923.jpg IMG_1925.jpg IMG_1926.jpg IMG_1927.jpg Heaviest hitters can probably be broken up into the "deepest bite" and "hardest hitting" I would have to pick the 1311 and HNWS. The BB13 does both fairly well and the AK47 deserves honorable mention. My neighbors tree kept dropping limbs in the summer heat and I have had fun with them before cutting them up.

Last edited:
War sword is in the back of my mind wondering how it would do....
real world experience, what say you?

War sword is in the back of my mind wondering how it would do....
real world experience, what say you?
It's heavy and hits hard with even a lazy swing. I haven't thinned out the edge yet and I'm not sure if I want to. I like that it's a sharpened club :D

I just used my CGBB13 today and it is a beast, a pure beast... That CGBB13 feels like an axe when it hits.

C

I feel the same way about mine. After the regrind I did the BB13 just sails through anything I put in front of it.

In addition to thinning out the primary, I convexed the "cheeks" at the top of the saber grind so it feels even more like an axe head now. I wanted to optimize the geometry while also preserving the heft of the blade, seems to have worked out awesome. :thumbsup:

I feel the same way about mine. After the regrind I did the BB13 just sails through anything I put in front of it.

In addition to thinning out the primary, I convexed the "cheeks" at the top of the saber grind so it feels even more like an axe head now. I wanted to optimize the geometry while also preserving the heft of the blade, seems to have worked out awesome. :thumbsup:

Inky - I saw yours, it is a beauty - do you mind sending some pictures of your mods to me to wcbigler@gmail.com? I would greatly appreciate it. I may try DIY first...

C

IMG_1594_zps0536c4d8.jpg

My favorite heavy hitter. Not for the price to performance factor that most people mention. It's weight to performance. I've had pretty much all of the big guns from Busse. Nothing beats the usefulness of the 1311. Hopefully we will see an INFI version some day.

Gave mine a full convex grind. I had a few 1311s and the one gripe I had (and I've seen others with the same issue) is that the edge didn't seem as durable as other SR101 blades I've used. The regrind seemed to fix that. I've beat the hell out of it after the regrind. Not a single chip, dent, roll,....anything. It's my dream blade.

37101100442_92e417d1ae_b.jpg

Courtesy of Ban...

IMG_4787.PNG

B11 is faster and an easier carry--perfect for so many uses spanning machete to hatchet--but for pure chopping performance the Banned CG BB13 has balance, heft and geometry in spades. And swinging it for an extended time doesn't wear you down like some of the heavier blades will. I agree--it DOES hit like an axe.

Last edited:
View attachment 766461 View attachment 766462 View attachment 766463 View attachment 766464 View attachment 766465 Heaviest hitters can probably be broken up into the "deepest bite" and "hardest hitting" I would have to pick the 1311 and HNWS. The BB13 does both fairly well and the AK47 deserves honorable mention. My neighbors tree kept dropping limbs in the summer heat and I have had fun with them before cutting them up.
There are those mysterious grind marks on the stripped 1311....Great group of knives though!

Remembered this CG'13 pic I uploaded recently, it shows the grind ok. I should clean up the decarb, but have been too lazy. It does make it easy to see where the steel was removed. :D

2017_08_21_17_15_37.jpg

hsKB2Q

the bb13 isn't one I have knocked the new off yet. Does the ak47 chop that well?

the bb13 isn't one I have knocked the new off yet. Does the ak47 chop that well?
The AK is thin stock and pretty light for Its size. I have chopped with mine and it works alright but is all speed without much weight behind it. The two handed grip means you can really lay into it but its not very fun. The thin stock feels like it transmits more vibration.

The 1311 is a better fast light chopper and the HGWS is also a sword but has a huge amount of weight behind it and chops well.

Last edited:
Back