My Blind Fury sword

Hi sword lovers. I actually posted this over in another section before I realized there was a section specifically for swords. So here we go again lol....

Hi everybody. I’m fairly new to posting here but been lurking around here for years LOL. I recently finished a project I’d like to share and get some feedback on. It's a sword inspired by the movie “Blind Fury”. And although I do make my own blades I actually used a Huawei blade for this one. But even though I didn’t actually make the blade a lot of work went into the rest of it. I guess you could call it an extreme modification or customization lol. Anyway I have always loved the sword in the movie but could never find one even close to looking like it. I know that there are lots of Zatoichi swords out there but most are really nice and pretty looking whereas the one in the movie just looked like a plain ol’ stick. Not perfectly shaped it was kind of irregular and plain like someone had just cut a piece of straight tree and just roughly made a walking stick out of it. Well that’s what I wanted. But to be honest I didn’t want it to be quite as rough looking as the movie. “If you catch some still footage in the movie you can see that it was pretty damn rough LOL I wanted mine to be as unnoticeable as possible to the fact that it was actually a sword. But I still wanted it to look like a plain ol, “hiking stick” So I purchased a Huawei Zatoichi and tore it down. I don’t know if any of you have ever seen the inside of one of these but to mu surprise the tang is not very long at all and the blade was not pinned. Its actually held in by the tang being shaped kind of zigzag around the wood inside the handle.. So before I set out to make my Blind Fury sword I actually welded a little more length to the tang. If you look closely at the pic of the handle you can see where I actually pinned the blade in and countersunk the pins and made some small wooden plugs to hide them. “That was some hard metal to get a hole through lol” But anyway here it is. I worked on it off and on for a long time and its finally finished. My plan is to just handle it as much as I can and maybe even use it hiking sxo it can get that natural “Worn used and slightly dirty look” Then I’ll lightly polyurethane it BUT use a FLAT poly so that way it will protect it but it won’t be shiny and won’t look like its finished. Ok so didn’t mean to babble on like that sorry. But anyway here it is. Tell me what ya think.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pretty neat.

I have always been taken with this style of cane sword.

Looks like it's ready for business!

This is a step up from most Zatoichi and Blind Fury sticks because you have created a good length for a true walking stick. Nice looking wood for your project.

Cheers

GC

Nice work! I got a Paul Chen Zatoichi sword a long time ago, but I never liked how teeny the hilt felt--I like the profile on yours a whole lot better. Did you happen to take a picture of the tang before you re-hilted it? I am now curious to see what's holding it in there.....

Now that you have the right weapon, you just need the Hot Tub of Doom and some good dark glasses, and you will be totally set if Sho Kosugi attacks!

Looks pretty cool.

Is it round or oval? I think the blind fury one was a bit rectangular.

Hey y'all. Sorry took so long to reply. My phone has been out of whack. But thanks everybody. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a pic of the tang. As for shape its very irregular "on purpose " lol

That's good work, Xman. How did you core out such a long sheath? It doesn't look like you split it and glued it up. Oh, and just a note of caution. Be careful, cane swords (or staff sword in your case) are illegal in most states.

Looks great! I am also wondering how you fit the scabbard to the blade since it doesn't look like you split then glued it?

Looks great! I am also wondering how you fit the scabbard to the blade since it doesn't look like you split then glued it?
Hi guys. Thanks so much. Sorry but I didn't know you guys ever commented. For whatever reason I wasn't getting the notifications for this thread and just assumed it was dead. But actually what I did was take two 1x2 pieces of oak. Routed out the inside of each side used gorilla glue to glue them together and then use the belt sander to sand it round lol

Last edited:
Blind fury
watch until the sword scene.
WARNING : if you don't enjoy colorful language do not watch.

Back