My Blur needs a flipper

vwb563

Gold Member
I bought a started carrying a Blur a while back and found rather quickly that I miss the flipper feature. I like that it is assisted and the blade shape but I can't get used to having to push on the thumb stud to open it. The Skylines and Shallots have spoiled me. Please Kershaw add the flipper to the Blur!

I have a cpm154 blur. I love the thumbstuds they use on it , the way they're angled and what not. Same as the ones on the acies I believe.I did run into a problem when I went to resharpen on sharpmaker I realized the grinds were very uneven from factory and all I was doing was a wire edge. I guess ill have to put it to the edge pro im gonna hate to lose a bit of my recurve though.

I bought a started carrying a Blur a while back and found rather quickly that I miss the flipper feature. I like that it is assisted and the blade shape but I can't get used to having to push on the thumb stud to open it. The Skylines and Shallots have spoiled me. Please Kershaw add the flipper to the Blur!

The only reason I have yet to purchase a blur is because the lack of a flipper!!

I'm the opposite nowadays actually. I find myself hardly ever using the flipper on my Boa, and only use the flipper on my Rake and Speed Bump because the thumbstuds aren't functional. Hell I even use the thumbstuds on my 0200 most of the time and it's not even assisted.

I'm the opposite nowadays actually. I find myself hardly ever using the flipper on my Boa, and only use the flipper on my Rake and Speed Bump because the thumbstuds aren't functional. Hell I even use the thumbstuds on my 0200 most of the time and it's not even assisted.

Explain what you mean by "aren't functional"

I can't use the thumbstuds on my Rake or my 0350 either. I'm left handed so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but been wondering if there's something else.

I certainly wouldn't complain about having a flipper on the Blur, but I have to say that the thumbstuds on the Blur work very well.

Tom

I can't use the thumbstuds on my Rake or my 0350 either. I'm left handed so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but been wondering if there's something else.

Meaning their main purpose isn't for opening the blade. The thumbstuds are too close to the handle, or the detent is too strong to overcome with the pressure you can apply to the studs. I have to try very hard to use the thumbstuds on either knife to get it to open. Now my Boa, I can just flip my thumb up on the stud and it will open up with a very solid THWACK sound.

Don't think the thubstuds are functional on the PackRat either for the same reason (too close to the scales).

But I love the Blur's thumbstuds!

I agree with you. I totally love the flipper. If the blur had one, I would definitely go for it.

you can use the thumb studs on the rake, just push your thumb along the edge of the scale vs. out from the scale

you can use the thumb studs on the rake, just push your thumb along the edge of the scale vs. out from the scale

You could use the thumbstuds, but it's definitely not near as easy as other speedsafe knives. The flipper is clearly the primary opening method on the Rake.

Totally true. :thumbup:

Check out these posts, they should help get you going with the thumb studs on the 0350, the layout and size of the studs on the Rake look pretty similar, so try the technique with it too. Works left or right handed. There should be no reason that you can't use the thumb studs on either knife. If it is the new G10 Tactical Speed Bump, I have to admit I haven't been able to use the same technique with it's thumb studs. The G10 is too thick right next to the studs, unlike on the Spec Bump. I'll work it out though.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/863946-Sticky-ZT-0350?p=9788108#post9788108

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/863946-Sticky-ZT-0350?p=9823615#post9823615

Oh, and I've used the same technique with the 0200, but I do prefer the flipper.

Back