My Buddha is growing mold

Anybody know why my Buddha is growing mold. Its not just green mold, thers some white in there. Creative replies needed.
Picture170.jpg

A rolling Buddha gathers no mold. :D

I think that's why they design Laughing Buddhas with big round bellies; you can roll 'em around more easily to ward off mold. :)

Wait, wait!

What is the sound of one Buddha rolling?

I had several bronze statues from India and Nepal that did the same thing.
I treated them by washing them with alcohol and white vinegar and after a few times it finally killed the mold. I had put them in different rooms etc… Not sure why it happened maybe something about the base material, but its gone now

You know...even Buddha would use bleach once in a while.

The green isn't so bad...but the white could be bad. Who knows what sort of organic stuff might be there for it to feed on?

I would assume, since it's a bronze statue, it's verdigris, not mold, but you probably already knew that.

How long have you had your buddha statue, where is it from, and in what conditions do you keep it?
Best guess from your picture is the white is residual polish.
The bronze used in India and Nepal isn't always an exact mixture so the white (which i have seen in my bronze statues) can be from left over polish oxidizing the metal or from some other form of oxidation resulting from high humidity...I doubt its mold, try scraping off a bit and kook at it under a microscope or just polish it clean and see what happens (however you could remove the green patina if you do polish the entire statue)
The green "aging" is usually applied or created after a casting is made to give it an older look, which usually accompanies a higher price and is sold as old or "antique" (which is most likely is not)

How long have you had your buddha statue, where is it from, and in what conditions do you keep it?
Best guess from your picture is the white is residual polish or residue from the casting reacting with the metal.
The bronze used in India and Nepal isn't always an exact mixture so the white (which i have seen in my bronze statues) can be from left over polish oxidizing the metal or from some other form of oxidation resulting from high humidity...I doubt its mold, try scraping off a bit and kook at it under a microscope or just polish it clean and see what happens (however you could remove the green patina if you do polish the entire statue)
The green "aging" is usually applied or created after a casting is made to give it an older look, which usually accompanies a higher price and is sold as old or "antique" (which is most likely is not)

Verdigris is gorgeous. Yes, this coming from a sailor. If my boss found out about this I'd probably be keelhauled. (Keelhauling has never been used as a punishment in the US navy, and I'm not on a ship, but for this they'd find a way. We're particular about our brass.)

If it's actually caused by little critters, my recommendation is pine oil. This stuff is far stronger than what you think so use lots of water with it...and then add a little more water. It takes the paint off of walls, it disinfects, and it smells nice afterwards. I was once told that it's rough on the liver if you're getting it on your hands so use gloves. My personal restroom sees nothing else. It truly is a miracle cleaner and does a number on any sort of fungal or bacterial growth. (And paint.)

Pine oil didn't do it? Then it's corrosion. White vinegar will clean it up just fine. Dunk it in a bucket of vinegar over night. Things will be well in the morning.

Slightly off topic, but in a similar vein, I have an antique African war shield made of thick hide that has some white mold on it and I wanted to remove it and stop further growth without damaging the shield, removing patina or changing the color on the affected area. Does anybody have any suggestions?

VML said:
Slightly off topic, but in a similar vein, I have an antique African war shield made of thick hide that has some white mold on it and I wanted to remove it and stop further growth without damaging the shield, removing patina or changing the color on the affected area. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I can safely say that you shouldn't use fire. Otherwise I don't know. :confused: :)

VML said:

Take a nylon-bristle brush like a toothbrush, or maybe even a little stiffer, and take the shield outside somewhere to brush the mold off. Don't want to do it inside, as the mold may release spores, leading to more mold. I'd apply gentle pressure at first so you don't damage the surface of the leather inadvertently. If that doesn't work, I'd do a search here at bladeforums for leather restoration. I know it's been covered before, and there are gentle cleaning solutions you can use if brushing alone isn't enough to take care of the problem.

Back