My collection already included 4 Buck 110's, but...

Well, sure, I already had four Buck 110's in my collection, but... They go and start making them again with Ebony wood scales! I walked by the knives in the store and saw the word "Ebony" on the package, and just had to pick one up from the display to take a peek.
I said to myself, "You already have some Buck 110's representing in your collection, so you need this like you need another hole in the head!"
So, I placed it back and walked away... Well, that lasted for about ten minutes, since my mind kept thinking how cool it was to see that the Buck 110 is again sporting Ebony scales. And, at the price that Buck allows a model 110 to sell for, it was like... "Ah, why the heck not!" ;)

Last edited:
great knife. you'll enjoy. the ebony so far has been excellent.

Yep it happens, just a short year ago I had two 110s. A Damascus stag and a Alaskan guide 110. Now I have 8, 110s in various materials and models. I don’t have an ebony one yet but this year ain’t over yet.lol

A real looker for sure, now take one of the other 110's you already had and put it on your belt.

Last edited:
The look of real Ebony may be subtle, but it does give it that extra touch of old school class.
That said, I cleaned up an older Buck 110 knife for a friend, and that diamondwood/pakkawood/laminated wood, or whatever else it has gone by, was pretty easy to lightly sand up and polish again. And, it always looked pretty convincingly like plain ole solid wood, (close enough for my eyes to appreciate).
Although the real Ebony is the more classy material, I got to say, the laminated wood scales were as tough as nails. I would think that the solid Ebony, (although more beautiful, imo), will be losing out to the former laminated wood on the durability level.
As you all already know, Buck sure has done a great job at keeping their Buck 110 affordable, while keeping it one classy looking and well made knife... High kudos to the Buck firm! :)

Last edited:
I gifted my Fg ebony 110 recently to a good friend.... So I'm sure I'll replace it. It's too nice to keep to yourself, and far to nice to do without.
I'm happy to share it and turn one more person on to the experience of owning an hierloom quality knife.
It's more fun than owning it!
View attachment 1156504

Yeah I took a pic of it first.
I can replace the knife easily, but the friendship is priceless.

Last edited:
I was thinking to myself about this new venture Buck has taken in buying Ebony again for their knives. My thought is that the Ebony wood offered by Crelicam, while maybe not processed in huge chunks, are usually big enough to at least be able to make their components for instruments, (like on Taylor's own guitars). That said, there's likely a certain amount of waste after these pieces of wood have been cut down for making their musical instrument components. The waste is not because remaining wood is bad, but because the left over pieces are oftenly too small for them to do much else with them.
Now, put in Buck's knife company, and these small left over pieces can become a viable material/commodity again. Why?... Because Buck doesn't require large pieces to make their knife scales, and so Crelicam's/Taylor's left over pieces can then become Buck's nice Ebony knife handle scales :)
All this is just my guess, but I would think that it simply made for a win/win situation for Crelicam and Buck to help each other out. Taylor Guitar, which owns part of the Crelicam wood operations, gets to sell left over Ebony pieces that are usually to small for much of anything else, to a company like Buck Knives that small pieces of wood are workable for. Instead of waste, the left over pieces gets sold to Buck at likely a much reduced rate over bigger pieces of the Ebony, but is still profitable for Taylor/Crelicam, and affordable for Buck to use on their affordably priced basic knives... A win/win situation! :)
All just my speculation, but seems plausible enough to be the situation at hand :)

Last edited:
I was thinking to myself about this new venture Buck has taken in buying Ebony again for their knives. My thought is that the Ebony wood offered by Crelicam, while maybe not processed in huge chunks, are usually big enough to atleast make components for instruments, (like on Taylor's own guitars). That said, there likely is a certain amount of waste after these pieces of wood have been cut down into making these components. The waste is not because the wood remaining is bad, but because these left over pieces may be too small to do much with them.
Now, put in Buck's knife company, and these left over pieces can become a viable commodity, since the handle scales are not very large on a Buck knife.
All this is just my guess, but I would think that it simply made for a win/win situation for Crelicam and Buck to help each other out. Taylor Guitar, which owns part of the Crelicam wood operations, gets to sell left over Ebony pieces that are usually to small for much of anything else, to a company like Buck Knives that small pieces of wood are workable for. Instead of waste, the left over pieces gets sold to Buck at likely a much reduced rate over bigger pieces of the Ebony, but is still profitable for Taylor/Crelicam, and affordable for Buck to use on their affordably priced basic knives... A win/win situation! :)
All just my speculation, but seems plausible enough to be the situation at hand :)
Well put. Buck and Taylor both deserve a pat on the back.:thumbsup:

I was perusing youtube for some more info on the whole Buck company transition back to Ebony wood, and ran across this video. They actually do mention that the new Ebony scales are pieces that are too small to do anything with by Taylor Guitars, and purchased by Buck for their knives. So, it seems that my guess hit the nail right on the head :)

I was thinking to myself about this new venture Buck has taken in buying Ebony again for their knives. My thought is that the Ebony wood offered by Crelicam, while maybe not processed in huge chunks, are usually big enough to at least be able to make their components for instruments, (like on Taylor's own guitars). That said, there's likely a certain amount of waste after these pieces of wood have been cut down for making their musical instrument components. The waste is not because remaining wood is bad, but because the left over pieces are oftenly too small for them to do much else with them.
Now, put in Buck's knife company, and these small left over pieces can become a viable material/commodity again. Why?... Because Buck doesn't require large pieces to make their knife scales, and so Crelicam's/Taylor's left over pieces, can become Buck's nice Ebony knife handle scales :)

Great way to put it. I guess Taylor doesn't have to charge an arm and a leg cause it's waste anyway. Therefore it's cheap enough to not have to raise the price on the knives. When this first came about I thought there was gonna be a price jump and wondered how they kept it affordable. Thanks for posting.

I found the following video online, and it simply left me in awe.
The Crelicam Ebony story is downright amazing!
The musical world seems to have been the first large group of people to be informed about it, but now, thanks to Buck's partnership with Crelicam/Taylor, another large group will learn more of this great project. All really great stuff here!

Now, put in Buck's knife company, and these small left over pieces can become a viable material/commodity again. Why?... Because Buck doesn't require large pieces to make their knife scales, and so Crelicam's/Taylor's left over pieces, can become Buck's nice Ebony knife handle scales :)

Well said.

I was wondering if the streaked ebony so desirable for knives is less desired for instruments. Too. It does indeed seem to be a match made in heaven for all involved.

I always knew Macassar Ebony was special for its rot resistance. But never thought it was pretty.

On these flat knives the diamond wood is harder to spot. I bought a Buck 110 and never realized it was a laminate until I read about it here.

In fact I remember thinking how pretty it was compared to my two old ugly black ones. Lol.
view

Last edited:
Well said.

I was wondering if the streaked ebony so desirable for knives is less desired for instruments. Too. It does indeed seem to be a match made in heaven for all involved.

On these flat knives the diamond wood is harder to spot. I bought a Buck 110 and never realized it was a laminate until I read about it here.

In fact I remember thinking how pretty it was compared to my two old ugly black ones. Lol.
View attachment 1157165
I have to say that I kind of find the ebony 110's a bit plain looking compared to the diamondwood of my 110.
The surface of the ebony feels a bit better compared to the resin surface of the diamondwood though.

Plus no worries about stuff soaking into the diamond wood. I don’t think my first two started off as dark as they are now. Probably motor oil grease fish rabbit deer and my blood all soaked in there. Lol.

I said it in a different thread recently. The diamond wood is a premium handle material. It just needs to be advertised as what it is. People are let down when they buy Oak then find out it’s a laminate of birch wood. It’s also a little heavy.

It’s definitely NOT plywood, I think of diamond wood as wood micarta.

I
I have to say that I kind of find the ebony 110's a bit plain looking compared to the diamondwood of my 110.
The surface of the ebony feels a bit better compared to the resin surface of the diamondwood though.
Agree the plain black wood doesnt do anything for me but those with the color variation look good.

Back