My Companion, and how I carry it. Updated with new carry method.

slims_88

Gold Member
Brian asked I start a thread about the way I set up the sheath on my Companion. I apologize in advance for the blurriness of some pics.

I took a basic Pull the Dot snap loop, typically they get used for setting gear up for IWB carry. Here's an example of my Glock 23 with Pull the Dot loop setup.
Holster goes IWB, the unsnapped loop goes between your pants and belt, and loops under the bottom of the belt back to the top and snaps secure.

To take that loop and make it work on my companion sheath, I just took the part that the screw runs through, and switched it to the other side of the loop. Screwed it on, and we're on to step 2.

Now that the rig is done and ready to carry. With the sheath at your desired carry location, take the loop, and wrap it under the sheath, then it goes behind your belt.

Pull over the top of the belt, and snap that bad boy shut.

Now you're ready to go about your day. I really like having a small fixed blade carried horizontally, especially up front, because it allows easy access with either hand. So no matter what you're doing, as long as you have a hand free, you can fill it with a blade.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread. Where do I get a loop like that?

On a side note, do you find a holster like that fairly secure? Seems like quite a less so than a clip or two? I've not carried like that though.

Lots of places to get a pull the dot snap loop. Just Google pull the dot loop and you'll get lots of links. Once I snap it on, it doesn't move. No up down shifting, and way too snug to even slide on my belt.

Thanks for the inspiration. I grabbed some leather and a stainless machine screw and threw this together this afternoon. It works really well. I think I'm going to carry like this at work too.

1001151344.jpg

I'm going to have to find a leather guy to knock out some scout style leather sheaths for these little knives!

Last edited:
Thanks for the inspiration. I grabbed some leather and a stainless machine screw and threw this together this afternoon. It works really well. I think I'm going to carry like this at work too.

1001151344.jpg

I'm going to have to find a leather guy to knock out some scout style leather sheaths for these little knives!

Sign me up for one if you find someone to make them!

Any news on the leather loop thingy for horizontal carry? I mean, will you be offering them for sale?

Expectantly waiting the arrival of my Companion Knife!

Edit: just realized the OP isn't Brian. Sorry.

Switching it up a bit. Now that it's cooling off, I'm carrying my Glock more than the J-frame, which means I have to carry a spare mag. I like my spare mag in the spot I've been carrying the Companion, so I had to find a new method.

Had a pocket clip laying around, and figured, what the hell, let's see how it works. Pretty damn well!

These all look very good. I'm going to try the pull the dot method as well once my companion arrives. The companion is such a great size, it doesn't look to protrude much on either side of the knife which could draw attention when underneath a shirt. I love carrying my S&W 637 as well, but haven't tried appendix carry. Typically just 3:30p position. Going to look into that holster as well.

I just added the clip from a crkt folts minimalist at the bottom to carry over my rf pocket with the handle parallel to my leg facing my foot

Chopped up one of my old belts that I was using to strop my knives and put this together. This is the first time making something from leather, so not perfect. Fortunately I have some leather left for other attempts. Planned on centering the hardware, but decided to use for a little bit to see it it needs any improvement. Had a bunch of Stainless hardware so was able use them. Tried to give it a distressed look on the leather.
2687bf350e5cb69ca723c6c234fab202.jpg

46aaa3363aad462f6e6d03dd42e4c735.jpg

2e02884d2b8bad9896452096fa6e9394.jpg

Last edited:
That's wicked! Nice job!

Still figuring out the details, but I think I'm going to pocket carry mine with a wallet chain. Something different.

Thanks. This knife gives you many options for carry, the leather loop carried really well surprisingly. This is one of the 1st fixed blade I've ever carried, so it's a new experience. I use to wonder why so many others carried fixed and now starting to understand. The wide leather really kept it in place during work, (commercial cleaning business operator). I guess freeing up space in my pockets is the best part of it all.. My pocket clip knives might get a break. LOL.
I've played around with a ti clip from one of my spidies, also tried wrapping a para cord belt loop with minimal success.
Post a pic when you get your setup figured out.
Here is v2. The companion was the only tool I used for cutting. :)

c3e6e79b4bfa4f60828e7fb74b7ca677.jpg

Last edited:
Still waiting for the chain I ordered. In the meantime, I had to steal SuzukiGS750EZ's idea and throw some cord on the sheath for belt carry.

20160212_181311.jpg

I've always wanted to carry a knife like this (never really had one that was suitable for it), and I really like it. Most comfortable way to belt carry a knife I've experienced yet.

I'm carrying mine in the back of a cramped compact car right now. I don't notice it at all.

Last edited:
So for the last 4 months I've been using the pull the dot to carry horizontally on my belt. Usually front left, but the beauty of the pull the dot is it takes two seconds to take it off and put it on so its easy and quick to relocate whenever necessary without taking the belt off.

Mine is slightly different as the OPs as I don't start on the front. I start on the back and take advantage of the through hole.

If you haven't tried this method I highly recommend it. Due to the awesome size and ergos of the Companion, and this carry method, I think I've carried the Companion literally every single day. In addition to whatever other blades I may have on me.

DE31A024-1E70-4240-9FFE-813FD74CF8F0_zpsxcipygkx.jpg

3F7D1A74-ACEC-4570-9E9E-0ACA1B4179E2_zpstinwsmqr.jpg

Here are two carry options.
20160606_104759_zpsggpznyab.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160604_110956_zpsc9gro4qv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160530_172202_zps0kqjud2s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160606_105037_zpst46guii8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I have to say my recent interactions with Brian have been very favorable. He is very passionate about his product and standing behind it. He wants to make sure his product is incredible (which it is) and strive to make sure it is. I exchanged a phone call with him and I felt very comfortable with him and is they type of guy you would take home to mom, jk, he is one of those people that can be an instant friend with. Great product great guy.

Very nice Bill! Like both of your choices, but I think the first looks like the best!

Back