My current complete (ever-expanding) collection of sharp and pointy objects

CAF1A006-EEFE-4390-8B6E-5CE278C0505B.jpeg.8786ae67f2a6173184820911b66f99c8.jpeg

Finally took the time to get a picture of my current complete humble collection, likely on the relatively small side compared to most of the members here. Companies represented include Spyderco, CRKT, Fox, Emerson, Tops, Ontario Knife, Cold Steel, and Schrade. Specific designers include Michael Janich, Laci Szabo, Doug Marcaida, Lad Mandiola, James Williams, Joe Caswell, Joshua Swanagon, and Dean Rostohar. All production knives so far, the Ironside Edgeworks Mestiso will be my first true custom once I receive it, and a true one-off completely hand-made custom at that (more info in my thread of the same title in the Custom Knives subforum);

FCF4EE0D-6A6E-4E28-B6A1-28500D7DF2A8.jpeg.58fd8f4780d23224a0fb970d5280e76a.jpeg

As you can likely tell from what’s represented I tend to have a thing for unique fighting/combative knives (particularly Karambit variants) specifically designed by edged weapon instructors as their “ideal” self defense blade. Always on the search for more to add so if anyone knows of any others I should be looking into feel free to make some suggestions. A Spyderco/Craig Douglas P’Kal is already on my want list

0E61F9C6-CD52-476F-BA3C-23E4C5562869.jpeg.f43ebfca40ea81a5b4ec5d13dcdbc63c.jpeg

I did say ever-expanding...Received this in the mail today, happy to finally add a Trench knife to my collection! This has got me wondering though; Could a Trench knife be characterized as a type of Karambit...?

Here are a few more suggestions:
Fox Bantay by Borut Kincl
CSSD/SC Guntings by Bram Frank
Krudo Knives Snag by Louis Krudo (but IMHO all Krudos are quite overpriced for what they are.)
Viper Maga by Boris Manasherov
CRKT Dragon by Bob Kasper
Timberline Wortac II by Kelly Worden

Just to name a few

Here are a few more suggestions:
Fox Bantay by Borut Kincl
CSSD/SC Guntings by Bram Frank
Krudo Knives Snag by Louis Krudo (but IMHO all Krudos are quite overpriced for what they are.)
Viper Maga by Boris Manasherov
CRKT Dragon by Bob Kasper
Timberline Wortac II by Kelly Worden

Just to name a few

Thanks! Several of those are already on my radar as well, especially the Viper Maga. It seems like it’d be a prime candidate for a double-edged folder, with the spine being completely covered by the handles when closed

Thanks! Several of those are already on my radar as well, especially the Viper Maga. It seems like it’d be a prime candidate for a double-edged folder, with the spine being completely covered by the handles when closed

I actually have several of these as my collection follows the same direction yours does, except I only go for folders. The Maga could definitely work as a double edger. I personally love the Bantay, and like the Maga, the blade completely fits in the handle. Now that I think about it, the Snag would work well as a double edge blade as well especially since your seem to favor the pikal grip. My main qualm with the Maga and Snag being double edged is that they are solely linerlocks. At least with the Bantay, it has the LAWKs system accompanying the linerlock. I actually also own a gen 1 Snag, and I would not be comfortable using it the way Louis Krudo intended. When I put heavy pressure on the spine, I see the lock slip a little bit, though it doesn't fail. Just not confidence inspiring.

I actually have several of these as my collection follows the same direction yours does, except I only go for folders. The Maga could definitely work as a double edger. I personally love the Bantay, and like the Maga, the blade completely fits in the handle. Now that I think about it, the Snag would work well as a double edge blade as well especially since your seem to favor the pikal grip. My main qualm with the Maga and Snag being double edged is that they are solely linerlocks. At least with the Bantay, it has the LAWKs system accompanying the linerlock. I actually also own a gen 1 Snag, and I would not be comfortable using it the way Louis Krudo intended. When I put heavy pressure on the spine, I see the lock slip a little bit, though it doesn't fail. Just not confidence inspiring.

I agree with your feelings regarding liner locks. My ideal folding knife would be substantially similar to the Bastinelli Mako folder profile and size;

bcl14_both.jpg

I’d want the finger ring and pocket catch, but a double-edged blade that completely nests inside the handle when closed, with a compression lock for sufficient strength when cutting with the spine edge. I’m honestly surprised we haven’t seen more development of double-edged folders from various manufacturers. It seems like it’d be easy enough to do relatively safely...

I finally received my custom fixed blade and trainer set, so adding them here as they are now part of my collection;

3A63DF08-D880-4F5F-AE49-E6AEF12BD3A9.jpeg.2182cc2d54c1779804b92dd69f050eb8.jpeg

1D6AE3B4-1FD5-4871-A775-EA49D416EFF9.jpeg.ec1049565f55e057087b455297176c98.jpeg

7BD8855C-8B1E-4778-BD9B-BF8C56B4863F.jpeg.4304afb07d928cbc86e83a2b851d90be.jpeg

They’re both absolutely perfect, I haven’t been able to put them down since I received them. The live blade is taking its rightful place in my EDC equipment, replacing my folding defensive Karambit;

E65D8867-A1C9-4598-8D53-43C6E1AC1CD6.jpeg.b46b9facec63061ed9bc7831fdbc5be5.jpeg

The trainer will be seeing plenty of use in practice and formal training as well - The design was intended to slip into the role of multiple methodologies including Craig Douglas’s ECQC, Scott Babb’s Libre, Michael Janich’s Martial Blade Concepts, and many others. I can’t wait to prove the capabilities of what has been my dream fighting fixed blade for many years!

I'd want the finger ring and pocket catch, but a double-edged blade that completely nests inside the handle when closed, with a compression lock for sufficient strength when cutting with the spine edge. I’m honestly surprised we haven’t seen more development of double-edged folders from various manufacturers. It seems like it’d be easy enough to do relatively safely...

I get the feeling that it has more to do with the legality of double edged blades and subsequently the questionable demand rather than the safety.

Back