My first and last order at HI

Hi FOG! It will be a pleasure to meet you!(maybee at camp eden) ;) well, Bill and I will for sure find a solution to this off the forum.

FOG, good to hear from you again. You and Sarge are missed.

If a meeting between you and Oliver becomes a reality, and you need a...,um, garden tool, please let me/us know. I'm sure something can be worked out.

Oliver;

Like any person alive on the planet for several decades, I've dealt with just about any retail product fiasco possible, from all the major manufacturers, including cars,optics, guns, washing machines, etc etc

Himalayan Imports is the single best merchandiser I have ever found.

I'm sorry your experience was so bad. I wish you'd make the servicable items in your grasp work until such time as things can be made right.

If you are unable to resolve this, you will miss out on the preeminant blades available on the planet today.

munk

well, that's why I'm so frustrated. As I said, and I say it again, I mean nothing bad against HI or Bill, and I'm sure they make good products, that's why I'm so frustrated! I was really hoping to take one with me on my next turn in the sand box. That's why I'm so frustrated... :grumpy: Now we worked on something with Bill... I send those blades back and he send me a refund,....

I'm still not clear why you can't take this one with you? Even if it came clean...slim chance it would "stay clean" during your deployment? (whether it's used or not - it'll get icky)

Bill's actually one of the fairest and nicest guys I've done business with.

I've had one mixup myself in shipping, but no biggie.

I will say this, if you are deploying with the military, and you're going to be in the field, your blades will get used and abused, if not totally beat to snot anyway.

My advice, take Bill up on the offer for a discount, epoxy the crap out of the handle, buff and tune the blade, and just put it to the max in the field.

it's personal matter... I'm perfectionist, when I pay and ask for top of the line I don't want to have less... beside, even if people tell me a glued handle will stand, I just want my stuff to be perfect... If it have to get any scratch or cracked handle I'll sleep better knowing I did it myself, but will feel bad paying for it full price when it's not ok... Bill proposed me to keep the blades and have a full refund, I'm not the type who profit of his kind offer, so I said thank you to his refund and return the kuks... ;) no bad feeling from my side...

Clean the rust off the one khuk and take it with you. We're not talking obsessive compulsive here, we're talking about your deployment and your life. I'd keep that good HI steel next to me if I were you.

And you were complaining and angry about HI and Bill- that's what the title of this thread is. I don't blame you. What I can't understand is the all or nothing attitude- are you going to even attempt to claim this is the only time in your life a product has disapointed you? Or better still, that once disapointed, you never trust that product again? I'm just about 48 years old, and I can swear to you now that I would be unclothed, eating no food, drnking no water, driving no car, living under no roof, reading no books nor watching any media on any appliance if that were the case- I'd be dead.

Things disapoint us. This is a world of things. We do not expect perfection from them. The very best of them will disapoint us.

munk

The one shipping mistake I encountered was once he sent me an extra 15" Sirupate with my order. When I emailed to ask if he why he sent it and should I send it back he said "Just keep it and think well of us" ;)

I returned the good favor by giving it as a gift to a friend who wanted one.Pretty class act Uncle Bill.

I personally would have gone for the blem refund and kept the blades. I think I have bought about 20 HI khukuris, all but 4 or 5 have been blems. I am too lazy to glue my handles, so just leave them. Have not had a problem with cracked handles, they stay on, and the rust is usually wiped away with use and replaced with my own working rust :D .

I can understand about wanting the knives to be perfect. I used to think the khukuris should be perfect, but they are handmade by different kamis and are all different. I have bought some high end production knives that should have been perfect, but the grinds were different on each side, and they cost more than double a khukuri. I like my khukuris all being different, and not having those perfect grinds. Someone put more effort into that khukuri than what went into that production knife that cost $300 and should have perfect grind lines(kinda my personal rant, and not really related to rust and cracked handles on blems).

Sorry who had a problem with the khukuris. But glad you got something worked out with Uncle. Good luck when deployed :)

"Sorry guys if I said anything that could hurt any's sensibility (sorry for that Nasty ) it almost sound like I made the mistake!"

You *did* make a mistake...*you* failed to properly plan for a deployment. Was it a surprise that you might actually have to do some sort of duty? Did you expect to serve all of your time in Denmark? Get real, grow up and accept responsibility for your own failure to prepare in a timely manner that would have allowed for a supply problem. No reply required...you screwed up and you know it. Take it like a man. A lesson learned here might save your life in the future.

thanks guys! Well I know and I'm sure Bill is as honest as a man can be... and I have another BAS that I like very much... That say, I would have love to pick an AK with me! maybee on my next trip!

Nasty, some of us look too far ahead, just the other night I was working out how I could fit an AK onto my PLCE webbing (from army cadets, we aren't allowed to carry them for some strange reason :S) and I have only just started officer selection.

Pen, I guess the point is that he paid for a 100% model, didn't get it. Still leaves the 50% refund option though. Actually I was considering suggesting a swap for my AK, then I remembered, it isn't mine, its for my brother, ahh well!

Nasty said:
"Sorry guys if I said anything that could hurt any's sensibility (sorry for that Nasty ) it almost sound like I made the mistake!"

You *did* make a mistake...*you* failed to properly plan for a deployment. Was it a surprise that you might actually have to do some sort of duty? Did you expect to serve all of your time in Denmark? Get real, grow up and accept responsibility for your own failure to prepare in a timely manner that would have allowed for a supply problem. No reply required...you screwed up and you know it. Take it like a man. A lesson learned here might save your life in the future.

Nasty, woaw... don't worry, I didn't failed in planing anything,I'm professional! I have plenty of blades! My own failure? I order top of the line blades and get rusted and cracked blems you call it my own failure? I acted as an adult man by sending Bill his blades instead of misabuse his generosity, would you have doing the same?
I think YOU should grow up and buy a brain before judging people you don't even know!I've been in most deployements than you'll ever see in your all life so don't worry for me. Growing up? hahahaha don't worry about that dady...So don't waste your time about answering, I only read serious constructives comments, you don't even know me but YOU judge me without knowing anything about me ... That tell more about you and your mentale age than mine ;)

Check my email address and tell me again about how many deployments you've been on and how I don't know what I'm talking about. You acted like a spoiled child bitching in public to a man who is more highly respected than any other I know. You could have simply emailed Bill and settled it privately like a gentleman. As for my response, I tried to share a lesson that might have saved your, or God forbid, those under you, your lives. Put on your military mind instead of puffing your chest out.

Nasty
VietNam Veterans Motorcycle Club USA

Fellow Cantina members, I apologize to *you* for having gotten involved in this drivel. I'm ordering a round for the house and taking back my seat at the back.

heres some pics of the rusty tip that Oli sent to me, Im working on getting the handle pics sized and cleaned up.

When I have dealt with horn handles I have had nothing but bad luck, small cracks more often turned into big ones in cold weather under chopping, I had one turn into pieces on me. Made another outta hard wood and havent had a problem, but it did go to pieces. In the field thats not a little problem...

I dont consider it the traders problem, he never saw them, and neither did Oli. I see it as a simple mistake, made worse by location of the reciever. Its not easy to get big blades in, or out, of Denmark. Its a dilemma thats not easily corrected, I'm sorry for both sides, its a lose/lose situation for both sides and its no fun at all. I know ____ happens but it doesnt make it easier on either side eh? I am sorry this had to happen, I know both parties and both are good guys, just a bad situation. I never like to see this happening, but in some cases its unavoidable. Yea, it could have been handled better on both ends, but thats life..........

Attachments

• rusty tip.jpg
    rusty tip.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 153
  • rusty tip II.jpg
    rusty tip II.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 156
I don't like to see thread turning out like this... it look like the kind of discution "mine is bigger than yours" but since you're interested in how many deploys I went on I've been deployed in Ethiopia, Yemen, Rwanda,somalia, Zaire and Bosnia. I've served in the French 1 RPIMa in their recon unit as squad leader.And I'm now in contract as consulent for the Danish defense. Don't worry some members of this forum who know me personnaly can confirm it if you 'd like. They can also confirm that on this forum I'm the first to write on ALL my positive experiences with any knives manufactures.
This forum is a place made to discuss good things and bad things,like in a democraty, by discussing this subject I don't say Bill is a bad man and he know that.
And saying I had this bad experience don't mean Bill or Himalayan Import is bad.Bill know that too I told him that.
Before to write this thread I wrote to Bill.

That IS pretty bad rust. Hey Leatherman! Good to see you!

I agree with the horn handles. Most of my horn handles have not broken, but almost all of the ones with minor cracks have cracked more, or shrunk to the point the buttplate was loose, and almost all of the ones I have had that had grain lines have cracked on those grain lines. One time I ordered 2 with the intention of sizing up the horn handles and choosing the blackest most blemish free handle to keep. Be damned if a small crack didn't appear where the only grain line was and then I was chopping in the rain with it and got a small stress crack on the back. Neither crack is bad. I have a Ganga Ram I chopped for hours in the rain with and it cracked all over but the handle is still solid.

If I can get decent at removing the handles I am giving serious consideration to taking them off before they crack and somehow sealing them with something, then putting them back on with some sort of epoxy stuff.

Time for a time out guys? It looks like the problem has been sorted, I get the impression all Oli was saying was 'I expected and paid for a 100% product and didn't get it' but it didn't come across as well as it could have. The problem appears to have been sorted, everyone is still stressed as hell when they don't need to be, how about we just sit back and relax?

Back