My first attempt at a sheath.

Discussion in 'Knife Maker's Gallery' started by forex, Sep 11, 2011.

1. forex

forex

Jun 15, 2006
    Hi guys,

Just thought Id share a few pics of my first attempt at making a sheath. I was surprised at how easy it was to wet form, and the knife actually stays in there when held upside down and jiggled around a bit. It doesn't have a belt loop but I usually carry them in my pocket anyway; so I don't scare the sheeple with them. ;) I might put a boot /pocket clip on later though. She's dyed in saddle tan and rubbed over with carnuba wax to finish. Any tips much appreciated too.

Enjoy,

Joe.

013.jpg 014.jpg 015.jpg

2. felix24

felix24

Sep 5, 2011
    I like it. nice work sir :)

3. ouporblowup

ouporblowup

Feb 6, 2011
    man im want to start making sheaths to

where did you find the most helpful basic info???

im really diggin that man, i love the way the leather looks

ooo

4. forex

forex

Jun 15, 2006
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the compliments- much appreciated.

I find a good source of information is- http://www.knivesby.com/knifemaking.html

I also got a heap of tips from my brother in law who is a saddler. That was the biggest help. If you can- I would find a local saddler or other leatherworker and ask them for a few tips. There's sure to be a good ol boy that can show you a thing or two around you somewhere.

Hope that helps,

Joe.

5. xmtgx

xmtgx

May 11, 2007
  6. GTH11

GTH11

Feb 21, 2011
    Im in the process of befriending my local cobbler so he can sew up my 10 oz sheaths, i love sheath building but hit a wall when it comes to hand sewing the thick stuff, even with pre drill. Your first looks very nice, mine turned out to be a left hand draw cause i didnt flip the pattern....live and learn right!