My first attempt at customization (yojimbo 2)

I finished my very first go at customizing one of my knives and thought I'd share it in my first post. Feedback and pointers are welcome but please keep in mind every single mod on this is my first ever attempt.
I've always been nervous about cutting and grinding on my knives but my edc Spyderco yojimbo 2 was well worn so I figured why not.
I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong spot. Still learning my way around the forums.

Last edited:
Couple questions :

1 Where did you buy this knife and are you the original owner ?
2 Do you have any before pics ?
I built it with a belt sander, a dremel, some ferric cloride and a harbor freight tumbler. I picked all the different mods I liked from reference photos I found on an image search.
The only before photo I could find of it was an old edc photo I had saved on my phone. I took a new one just now with the same background.
As for where did I get it it was purchased from Amazon and I am the original owner
Before
IMG-20190913-222909-041.jpg

After

a>

Last edited:
You sure pulled off a lot of mods for your first go at it.
I have a home shop and do other fabrication work so I had a bit of an advantage over someone that has never done metal or wood working. If you would like any details of how it was done or would like to see any of the other stuff I've built that is not knife related. I would be more than happy to share as it seems you are skeptical.
Dave

I was at first because there was a LOT done for a stated first attempt. Hell for a minute I thought you may have had a knockoff.

My second post was meant as a compliment, you made several mods and did it well.

As far as other projects, yes show them off. I and most others here appreciate things made or made better

I was at first because there was a LOT done for a stated first attempt. Hell for a minute I thought you may have had a knockoff.

My second post was meant as a compliment, you made several mods and did it well.
Sorry about that. I was under the impression that you were saying I couldn't have done it haha. I really appreciate the kind words.
I learned a lot working on this and some of the mods were needed to fix my mistakes. I'm pretty new to knives and this was the only quality one I have owned up until about a week ago (I am now the proud owner of 2 knives lol). I'm afraid I have the bug now and cant wait to get started on something new.

I don't like thumbholes, but I like your version better than the original. Nice work!

Sorry for the repost but the more I looked at what I had done I couldn't figure out what looked off to me. I think I figured it out. I ended up removing the finger grooves and I think it looks a lot more streamlined.
This is the last thing I'll be doing to it. I promise (haha)

Last edited:
Very cool. Good work. Welcome to the forum. There is a thread on here called can't leave anything alone. Looking forward to seeing more of you in there. :thumbsup:

I love what you e done to this knife, especially the blade. It looks so much more utile and less “threatening”. Personally, I would have stopped before the last frame mod, but overall, it’s a great set of mods.

Back