My first backpacking tent! Vargo Stove, Fatwood, and Brass Zippo action!

I usually car camp and bring really heavy gear with me, but this summer I decided to venture deeper into the woods and try to see what lies beyond the road. At 5 lbs this tent isn't considered "ultra light" by any means. Next time I'm going to leave the tent pegs and tent footprint at home to save space.

In the video, we backpacked to a place in Southern California called Little Jimmy Campground. The only water came from a natural spring! We found fatwood, the Sikly BigBoy made sawing firewood really easy. I also tested out a Vargo Titanium stove with mixed results.

What I really like about this tent is that it's relatively light, waterproof to a high rating, and lots of ventilation. The rain fly goes all the way down and helps keep the wind out, big plus for me since I get cold easy. Only negative for me is that there's only one door so it's hard not to disturb your tent mate.

For me, it's the perfect size for my me and my girlfriend. I like keeping my gear inside the tent and leave our boots in the vestibule right outside the front door.

If anybody is interested here's the video review:

You are off to the beginning of many good things. Once you start venturing more than a day's walk from the road, you can find beautiful places with little or no human presence.

You are off to the beginning of many good things. Once you start venturing more than a day's walk from the road, you can find beautiful places with little or no human presence.

Thank you brother, I love reading your posts. My GF thinks I'm anti-social sometimes, but I tell her it's not so much that I hate having too many people around, but I just need that one on one time with nature. Hear silence and enjoy the peace.

Back